[MAC] Server Setup and Download

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by jamescosten, Jun 22, 2011.

?

Is helpfull, If not please message me as to why not so i can fix it?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Could Use some Work

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

jamescosten

Hey guys i have noticed for some time that a few MAC users are having trouble setting up and installing a server. This thread is dedicated to MAC users, as a fellow MAC user myself i understand that sometimes the lack of info for non-Windows issues is lacking.

Basically in this thread i will tell you how to configure the file once downloaded and make it fine-tuned to your needs.

The server i give you is brand new, meaning no plugins installed so if you need a plugin installed let me know. Also if you feel that any plugins should come as standard with the folder then let me know aswell.

* First of all you need to download the server folder. You will need to unzip, just double click and it will do it for you.

<Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

* Next you will notice that the folder is named JAMESCOSTENSERVERHELP, just change the name of the folder to what you want.

* Immediately after make sure you right click LAUNCHSERVER.COMMAND and open with text edit. Change the file name to the name you renamed the folder with.

* The ram dedicated is set to 3072MB or 3GB's, change this if you don't want to use that much or lack the ram to use. Only use the following numbers or else your server will lag :

512=512MB; 1024=1GB; 1536=1.5GB; 2560=2.5GB; 3072=3GB; 5120=5GB

* Next you will notice that the world is created for you, if you do not like this world then feel free to delete and run the server to load a new world.

* If you want to rename the world then do so, but make sure that you change the world name in the SERVER.PROPERTIES to that of the name you just changed.

* Also there is no permission installed. If you wish to install that then please download from here : http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-dev-permissions-3-1-5b-the-plugin-of-tomorrow-818.18430/ Place in the plugin folder and configure to the needs of your server. IF not then just place the names of the OPS you want in the OPS.TXT file using text edit.

Be careful opping people as they will be abel to build and destroy etc.

* If you want a whitelist then goto SERVER.PROPERTIES and change to true. Next goto the WHITE-LIST.TXT and put the name of people you want to access your server here. Caps Sensitive so be careful.

When joining the world it will lag while it loads the new chunks but that will pass, enjoy your new world and get building.

* IF you need any plugins installed or need help configuring them then please post below and i will add to the thread for you, under a spoiler.

I hope you found this interesting and helpful and if you need some ideas on the plugins you want to use then please visit my channel to see them in action. You might even see one that you want.

Im thinking permissions and Iconomy to come as standard, what do you guys think?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2016
  2. Offline

1lann

Maybe not iConomy but definitely Permissions.

3. Offline

jamescosten

Ok cool, no economy plugin though ??
    What else you reckon

4. Offline

1lann

My server is freebuild so I don't have any economy plugins. Not too sure if everyone would need an economy plugin. Maybe you could some plugins together in a bundle? Like an economy bundle full of economy plugins, fun bundle full of fun plugins and basics bundle for the basics.

5. Offline

jamescosten

I like this idea, i shall put up bundle packs :)

6. Offline

finalclaw

james, your folder is great to putting my server up, but I can't install plugins.. can you help me on this?

7. Offline

ಠ_ಠ

Some servers don't like Iconomy or any economy plugins (like myself) and I think it would be pretty bad to force it upon users, unless there's a planned "off" switch for it :p anyways, I think this post is great. I had to figure this all out for myself the first time i set up my server.

8. Offline

lemmer5

This is very helpful but how do you make it so the server can run with bukkit? I tried to run the craftbukkit.jar but that won't run.

9. Offline

ImminentFate

Nice setup, the only issue is that Bukkit does not allow redistribution of a craftbukkit jarfile. Which means you will have to make a script to download it automatically from dl.bukkit.org, or ask your users to get it themselves.
    Also, the perms you linked to are out of date by about a year. bPerms, PEX, PermsBukkit and SimplyPerms are all better options

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.