Leveling That Isn't Terrible?

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by 42Hutch, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Offline

42Hutch

Can anyone make a plugin that fixes stupid leveling in the game? We all know that reaching level 50 is pretty much ridiculous, given that you get no perks for reaching higher levels. Is it possible to make a plugin that increases health/hunger/damage output as you level to make leveling more, well, leveled?

Also, enchanting and dying takes away every bit of exp you have. Can someone make a plugin that allows you to conserve levels even after death/enchanting? (An idea is to allow keeping levels when dying, but lose items. Kind of the opposite of vanilla where you get to keep all the items if you can find them, but lose most of your levels.)

So basically: Increase health, hunger, damage with levels; don't lose levels on death but lose items; don't lose levels on enchanting (if the creator can figure out a way to balance enchanting in a way that allows you to keep levels, by all means please do it :D)

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Offline

1cec0ld

I need to confirm, but I THINK most of this is possible with ModDamage.
    I'll check with the users with more experience than me and find out.
    It's a hard one to configure, but they have helpful people on their IRC Chat channel frequently at
    http://webchat.esper.net/?nick=&channels=ModDamage
    Channel #ModDamage (just in case it doesn't auto-connect to them)

I'll follow up here if I find any information, unless I see that it's not needed.

3. Offline

42Hutch

I was looking for something more than just damage, something that will allow actual leveling in the game.

Adding health, damage, etc. Also make death a little less harsh on your levels, harsher on items instead. And finally an enchanting mechanic that makes sense: you will need to be a certain level to enchant, but instead of using levels, other payment is required.

Alright I'm going to be really specific here: Can someone make a plugin that adds 1 heart per 10 levels gained (for a max of 5 hearts more at level 50), adds 1.02X damage per level gained (for a max of ~2.7x damage at level 50), adds 1 hunger bar per 10 levels gained (for a max of 5 extra hunger at level 50), makes it so on death, you lose exactly 2 levels and level progress (not lose all levels on death), but not drop anything on death (so basically you lose all items + 2 levels, but nothing more nothing less), makes it so enchanting does not take away any levels, but instead costs 2 gold ingots + 1 eye of ender + 1 diamond + 1 blaze powder?

I understand if the enchanting thing is difficult, but at least make it so enchanting will not take away all levels?

Checklist
    1) + 1 heart per 10 levels
    2) + 1.02x damage per level
    3) + 1 hunger per 10 levels
    4) - 2 levels and level progress on death
    5) - all items on death
    6) Keep levels while enchanting
    7) Enchanting costs items ( 2 gold + eye of ender + diamond + blaze powder) <-- this can be substituted for any other *balanced* mechanic you can think of.

Thanks so much to whoever agrees to do this, you are helping billions of people worldwide!!!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  4. Offline

Sayshal

I'm sure that 99% of this is possible, but they wont see 15 hearts in game, they'll just receive less damage.

5. Offline

42Hutch

I don't really mind as long as the mechanic is there. Also, if whoever picks this up would like to implement a balanced armor system that'd be great!

Checklist
    5) - all items on death
    7) Enchanting costs items ( 2 gold + eye of ender + diamond + blaze powder) <-- this can be substituted for any other *balanced* mechanic you can think of.
    8) Control enchantment
    9) Balanced armor system??? (optional really, just if you would like to make any changes, feel free to; I don't have many ideas for this)

I just added #8 and #9 because they make sense. I know there are ways to control the level, but it would be amazing if you could make it so one could control the enchantment itself!! (Payment would be pay per enchantment ie. 2 enchants = 4 gold + 2 eye of ender + 2 diamond + 2 blaze powder)

Again, thanks to whoever picks this up, I'm sure many people will appreciate it!

6. Offline

Sayshal

I'm not a programmer, but this would be quite cool.

7. I too feel that this would be pretty sweet. I need something like this for my server, too. :p

8. Offline

42Hutch

No one willing to attack this? I know that many people will greatly appreciate it!

Checklist
    5) - all items on death
    7) Enchanting costs items ( 2 gold + eye of ender + diamond + blaze powder)
    8) Control enchantment
    9) Balanced armor system??? (optional really, just if you would like to make any changes, feel free to; I don't have many ideas for this)

What? Too difficult? Not possible?

No one wants to help us? :c

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

9. Offline

peterarenot911

Have a look at ControlORBle, It has some of the features you are looking for and may be of use?

10. Offline

42Hutch

Thanks! That would take care of #4 on the checklist i suppose. Still looking for the other 8 though :c
    If plugin builders can combine from other plugins, it would be cool to have all 9 in one plugin :D

Checklist
    5) - all items on death
    8) Control enchantment

11. Offline

Sayshal

42Hutch unfortunately this is a huge project, you're not likely to get a developer to do this all. I would but I'm still learning.

12. Offline

42Hutch

I'm going to try to compile a list of plugins that will create this. If no one is going to make the plugin, I'll try to find a bunch that will combine to make this, and I'll list them here for anyone that wanted this

13. Offline

Sorroko

42Hutch I am not willing to commit to this but it sounds like a good idea, I have made a rpg plugin in the past that limited zones depending on levels and made mobs harder, and spawned more zombies etc. I added the feature that you request with the enchanting not using any levels, although it didnt use items. I see this as a nice plugin to make and if no one decides to I will make it; Unfortunately I don't have much time atm due to exams, so as I said, I will not yet commit to making this plugin ;) Awesome avatar btw!

14. Offline

42Hutch

That would be great! I don't mind if it takes a little while (although an ETA would be cool). I also don't mind if this project is split between devs, I understand that it is pretty big. It might help to make separate plugins for the different features. And split it that way.

I love my avatar :3

You can also add these as features to youre previous rpg plugin, because that sounds pretty interesting too.

Thank you very much if you pick up this project!

Anyone willing to help this fine man?

15. Offline

42Hutch

16. Offline

Roadkill909

17. Offline

42Hutch

I'm looking for a plugin that does those 8 (optional 9) things without all the obnoxious extra "classes" and "skills" added. I know this is a bit specific, but I haven't found a plugin yet that can do any of this without the addition of a bunch of other things I don't want.

Checklist
    5) - all items on death
    8) Control enchantment

18. Offline

acuddlyheadcrab

How did you get a curse account linked if you're not a programmer!? ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Jk, we good, we good.

19. Offline

Sayshal

I have Curse for Mc forums/wiki.

Edit:
    I also document some plugins so it puts them under "My Plugins".

20. Offline

Sorroko

42Hutch Alright I am starting work on the plugin, I will release a few alphas on this thread before making a release on bukkit dev. I may add other features too and my main aim will be to try to make it all 100% configurable. So wish me luck ;D

Heres a first alpha:
    Version 0.0.1 Alpha: Levels+
    Features: Config mostly configurable, Lose all items on death, health increases by the level (lvl * 2) working on better formula, damage is done up to double the amount possible (damage * modifier) modifier is between 1 - 2 i.e 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc. as u rank up. You lose no levels on death or in enchanting. Enchanting requires 2 gold, eye of ender and blaze powder.

21. Offline

acuddlyheadcrab

ryan7745

Github it up bro. I could help with this possibly.

22. Offline

Sorroko

23. Offline

42Hutch

This is great!! Thanks!
    If you need a damage leveling formula, 1.02^level works, and is pretty balanced
    A health level formula could be 1.01^level (more balanced)

Dont forget the checklist I made, I hope it's helpful!

Thanks so much for doing this!

24. Offline

Sorroko

42Hutch So I hope I understood correctly but I did 1.02 to the power of 'level' which works but as you level up it becomes easier to get more health. so going form level 1 to 2 will be a small increase like 0.01 but going form 200 to 201 will be bigger something lik 2 difference. Therefore instead I am now trying the square root of the level multiplied by 1.04. This way levelling is easy at start but becomes more effort later on.

Decided to use some numbers as I probably confused you above:
    1.01 to the power of 1 = 1.01
    1.01 to the power of 2 = 1.0201
    1.0201 - 1.01 = 0.0101 difference (very small...)
    1.01 to the power of 200 = 7.31
    1.01 to the power of 201 = 7.389...
    7.389 - 7.31 = 0.07 difference

So the you level faster the more levels you have, which means once you have maybe 1,000,000 levels you get loads of extra health for just 1 more level. This should not be the case!
    It should be easy to get more health at the start then harder as you progress, well thats my view :D (Tell me what you think though)

25. Offline

42Hutch

ryan7745 Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking about levels above 50. I was kinda just thinking that these perks would max out at level 50, but that leveling formula sounds great!

(Although at really high levels the game would get kind of boring, unless some enemy leveling happened too. I'm pretty sure there are other plugins for this though, right?)

26. Offline

Sorroko

42Hutch, There should be, if you go to the github link I posted above you can download version 0.0.3 in the release folder. It has the formula that I mentioned above.
    You can get version 0.0.3 here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53730212/LevelsPlus/LevelsPlus-A0.0.3.jar
    EDIT:
    Features:
    • New formula
    • Dodges hits by players or mobs randomly depending on level
    • Double drops on some ores randomly, again depending on level

27. Offline

42Hutch

@ ryan7745 This is great! Is there a way to make it so that you have more health? I've seen a lot of plugins do the dodge damage thing, but none increase health. Is it not possible?

28. Offline

Sorroko

42Hutch It actually does increase health but you wont see more hearts, instead you take less damage. Maybe in future I could work on a spout GUI for it. Releasing soon!

29. Offline

42Hutch

ryan7745 Great! So what of the checklist is currently done? And is there any way I can help with stuff?

30. Offline

Sorroko

42Hutch Thanks for the offer, just uploaded to bukkit dev page. :p The only thing I am missing from the check list is increasing hunger, also I want to maybe allow different formulas for health and damage so that you can pick the one you like.
    Heres the bukkit dev page: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/levels-plus/
    As of posting this its still being approved