Laggy Server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by EpicPaul, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

iPhysX

try changing the -Xmx2G to -Xmx1560M

2. Offline

r0u9hneck

My bad, iPhysX is right. You have to replace -Xmx2g with -Xmx1560M.
    Java x86 should be able to use up to 2G, but you cant allocate 1,6G+.
    Probably it's all about x86 Java. My server started lagging when I switchted the mc server from my notebook (for testing purpose) to the server machine. My notebook was running Win7 x64 and a x64 version of Java, so I was able to reserve 3G memory for the bukkit server.
    On the server machine (Win Server 2003 x86 + Java x86) I could only allocate up to 1,6M (actually a little less) allthough the server has 4gb of ram. And now back to my notebook (still waiting for my root server) the lag just disappeared..

3. Offline

Zalastri

Okay, this might be silly, but perhaps try to defrag? I don't know anything about how minecraft stores data, but perhaps you've hit a juncture where your chunk data is spread out over your physical disk, since minecraft chunk data is so small perhaps the seek time is slowing things down.

Try defragging, I know it's the usual bullshit suggestion, but it sorta makes sense here, and its worth a shot since it seem like you tried a lot of other stuff.

4. Offline

EpicPaul

I don't know anything about defragging. I'm beginning to just give up on the server.

5. Offline

TnT

What firewall are you running on the server?

6. Offline

Garandorf

I've tried running no firewalls, still the same problem

7. Offline

Zalastri

Has anything about your network situation changed? Maybe try logging in to your router and setting QoS settings to place a higher priority on your network traffic. If someone else in the house is leaving bittorrent open or something they could be stealing all the bandwidth. Perhaps someone's got an infection on their comp?

The QoS thing is pretty easy. I'm hoping you know how to log in to your router, if not look at the manufacturers website.

Look around in your router settings and see if you can find "QoS" or Quality of Service settings. You be able to create rules governing the "dibs" that the network traffic gets on your bandwidth using your servers local IP address (192.168.1.whatever) and/or it's hostname (network name) like "Jordans-Server" and priority numbers, the higher the more important.

You'll probably have to tell it to set you as a 9 priority for both input and output. If that doesn't help then it's not network congestion on your LAN.

If you want to give me your router model and revision number (and this is all assuming you don't know how to do this yourself, for all I know you might) I can find the relevant help page if you can't figure it out.

8. Offline

Garandorf

Zalastri, sry, have u read the whole thread? We've stated numerous times that it started lagging out of nothing... Nothing changed, and in my case, the SAME thing happened to 3 different ppl.

9. Offline

Jeyge

I think the question is, have you read the thread. It was started by EpicPaul and he was probably replying to EpicPaul and you seriously come on here and complain about an answer to EpicPaul?

10. Offline

Garandorf

Jeyge, the problem is exactly the same with both of us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.