Laggy Server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by EpicPaul, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EpicPaul

Hey guys, I recently just started to use Bukkit in order to make a survival island server for me an my friend. I hosted the server and played Minecraft on the same computer, and there was no problems. I have 4GB of ram, and the server used to be able to run smoothly. The plugins I have are Skillz, MagicCarpet, Creature Spawner, HeadBlocks, MultipleHomes, Prefixer, SpawnX, and ThunderTools. I had all those plugins without any of lag, but just recently it started to lag. My internet is fine, and I asked my friend to connect to my server with me having nothing open but just the CMD. I looked at the CMD to see if there was any errors, but there was none. Here is what my RUN.bat looks like:
    [​IMG]

Again, everything was fine until yesterday. I also run the server on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

2. Offline

Jeyge

Did someone set off a bunch of tnt or change a large amount of blocks in one area? Also, does the lag go away if you move to another area?

3. Offline

EpicPaul

No, no one set off any thing that devastated anything and no, the lag is persistent everywhere you go. Also, before the lag, when you logged on all the chunks were instantly loading but with the lag, it takes a while for chunks to load.

4. Offline

iPhysX

@echo off
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx3096M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui

try that

5. Offline

EpicPaul

So my Run.Bat should look like this?
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    PAUSE

6. Offline

iPhysX

in the .bat file you use to run the server

7. Offline

EpicPaul

No, nothing changed.

8. Offline

iPhysX

argh. Im not sure how to help sorry :(

9. Offline

EpicPaul

Just making sure, my RUN.bat (What I use to start up server) should look like this?:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    PAUSE

I don't know if this helps but my version and architecture of my java is:
    java version "1.6.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

10. Offline

iPhysX

no

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  11. Offline

EpicPaul

Okay, I edited my RUN.bat to what you told me, and now the server won't run. CMD would start and quickly close.
    Just curious, what was that supposed to do?

12. Offline

iPhysX

its probably saying it cant use craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1560M -jar cb.jar nogui
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    change craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar to cb.jar
    and use that above

13. Offline

EpicPaul

Alright, I tried what you told me to and yet I still have lag. I don't see why it can't use craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar if everything was fine earlier.

14. Offline

iPhysX

you can i must have made a spelling mistake..
    it doesnt matter what its called :/
    sorry i couldn't be more help!

15. Offline

EpicPaul

I did everything you asked, and I can run the server, but the lag still persists.

16. Offline

iPhysX

it might be because of your internet speed + CPU + ram..
    there could be literally infinite reasons its slow

17. Offline

Phaedrus

Try changing the name of the world=YOURWORLD inside of the server.properties file. That will generate a fresh world for you to test on. Don't worry, it won't delete your current world. See if the lag still happens.

18. Offline

iPhysX

good idea :)

19. Offline

EpicPaul

Nope, still laggy.

Still need help please :(

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

20. Offline

EpicPaul

My server properties is :
    #Minecraft server properties
    #Sat May 14 12:26:34 CDT 2011
    level-name=world
    hellworld=false
    spawn-monsters=true
    online-mode=true
    spawn-animals=true
    max-players=20
    server-ip=
    pvp=false
    level-seed=
    server-port=25565
    allow-flight=false
    white-list=false
    spawn-protection=16
    plugin=CreatureSpawner
    plugin=HeadBlocks
    plugin=Prefixer
    plugin=MultipleHomes
    plugin=SpawnX
    plugin=MagicCarpet
    plugin=ThunderTools
    plugin=Skillz

Any help please?

21. Offline

Garandorf

Me and 2 friends had the EXACT same issues, the server was working fine for a few days and it started to lag like crazy, we tried new server, no plugins and all kind of stuff but nothing would work...

22. Offline

BKDO

Alright...
    You could try hosting on a different computer. For some odd reason Bukkit would experience really bad lag in a computer with Core 2 Duo, 2G RAM, and 8600M GT on Win XP 32 bit even with just 2 people. On the other hand, I ran the bukkit server without any lag at all on the laptop with Celeron M (yeah, back from 2003 AND it is not Pentium), 1.5G RAM, and Intel 900 Graphics with same number of people. I don't have explanation for this but it may be that java files got messed up in networking portion.
    Also try the vanila version of the minecraft server. See if it can run minecraft flawlessly.

23. Offline

Garandorf

So u're saying this only happens in PCs with Core2Duo? Any way to fix this? Simulate a 1core PC maybe or something? Cause it also happens in a Core2Duo with 4GB RAM...

24. Offline

iPhysX

press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to bring up task manager.
    go to processes, find the minecraft server/java
    set the affinity to 1 core.
    Not sure if that will help though

25. Offline

EpicPaul

iPhysX that didn't work and BKDO, I will try running it on another server later. Thanks for the replies!

26. Offline

tok

Maybe you forgot to tell us that you made an update from 740 to 766?
    Cause that was my trouble I had after updating.

Just try out following:

1. Backup your /world and /plugins Folders.
    2. Delete all from Server root dir expected the snapshot and the launch.bat
    3. Run launch.bat
    4. Stop server

Then redefine you configurations etc.
    Copy Paste backupped world & plugins folders.

Run the server and it should be fine.

If you made no update, and the server just crashed laggy like that, that may have too many issues...

EDIT:\ Bad coded Plugins are the death for any Server too. Try by removing the last one you've installed.

27. Offline

r0u9hneck

Why did you suggest him to allocate 3gb of his ram on a x86 os?
    try this run script:

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx2G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    PAUS
    Since x86 OS only uses 3,5gb of Ram (even if you have 4gb installed). Because a x86 (or 32bit) OS can only address up to 3,5gb ram. And your plugins should take that much RAM anyways..

If this doesn't work try to work out what you have changed right before the lag started.
    Installed any plugins?
    Changed anything related to java?

You could try to copy the folder containing your server files and dont touch the original folder.
    Delete all plugins in the copied folder and run the server from the copy.
    Still lagging? If the lag stopped you can try to copy 1 by 1 plugin back into the copied server folder, run the server and check for lag.

Edit: Btw, you have to rename the .jar back to craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar or replace the name in the run script.

Edit2: another question, are you using hamachi?

28. Offline

iPhysX

hamachi... would probably cause lag for other players imo

29. Offline

Garandorf

The Core2Duo is not the problem...
    I've tried running the server from scratch, without any plugins, but the lag persisted, we haven't made any change: We played fantasticly well, we close the server, and a couple hours later, we start the server again, and boom, lag... We tried making a new server after the lag, but it just wouldn't go off...
    Yes, we are using Hamachi, but we've always been using it and we don't have lag without using bukkit, and when we didn't have lag, we were using Hamachi as well, so that's prolly not the problem at all.

30. Offline

EpicPaul

I tried your code, but it said:
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Also, I am not using hamachi.
    I also started with build 766 from the start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.