Jenkins

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Welite, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Welite

Hi I really like downloading plugin builds from Jenkins build servers I am also developer of severals public plugins.

So I have downloaded and successfully installed Jenkins to my debian based server, everything is OK, but I really dont understand how to use Jenkins....

I have read something about that on jenkins there are no uploads of .jar files but jenkins is creating .jar himselve but I havent understand how to configure folders from where will be source code taken. I would like to get sources from my own computer to jenkins is this possible ?

Is there anyone experienced in using Jenkins and can help me please ?

2. Offline

Jake6177

The purpose of jenkins is that it will take the hassle of building away from you and do it for you. Therefore, no, it's not possible to upload a jar file to jenkins and have jenkins serve it.

3. Offline

xize

Welite
    a good way is to use your source code on github and then let Jenkins compile it into a jar through pom files just make sure you read some things about maven to.

though I have to say Jenkins is not necressly needed unless you create a very big plugin with alot of plugin dependcies sometimes a plugin can change which can break a certain hook in your own plugin which makes it very handy to use Jenkins but it is also handy to use Jenkins as your own reposority if a certain plugin doesn't have its own reposority but still is a maven project and you really need a pom dependcy for your own plugin to test if the hook still works.

sorry for my typos if they exist in my message I got crazy by IE11 text auto correction:p

4. Offline

xTrollxDudex

Welite
    Jenkins was made to be linked with Git and build each push.

Jake6177 likes this.
  5. Offline

Welite

xize
    xTrollxDudex
    Jake6177

Ok thanks guys, but if I dont want to use github ? I have also some private projects and I dont want to public them. Is there any way how to create private repository in jenkins ? And if yes how can I edit source codes in some repository ?

Sorry for my newbies questions I have never worked with jenkins and such a stuff but I really would like to :)

6. Offline

Bart

Use BitBucket. I recently set up Jenkins to grab all my maven projects from BitBucket, build them, run unit testing and then deploy to multiple servers via SCP :) You could also use GitHub and make a private repo but you have to pay for it.

7. Offline

Welite

Thanks, I will try it!

Bart

One more noob question. What Source Code Management should I choose in Jenkins project settings and what Repository URL (https://bitbucket.org/Welite/myrepo.git ? ).

Thanks.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Offline

Bart

9. Offline

Welite

Bart
    Thanks! And what Source Code Management in jenkins project settings should I choose ? (Subversion or CVS ?). And what plugin I have to install ? Sorry for noob questions :D

10. Offline

1Rogue

You're using Git, not subversion or CVS

11. Offline

Welite

1Rogue
    Ok, I have installed GitBucket plugin to Jenkins but I cant find where to fill my BitBucket login informations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.