Java 6 vs 7

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by grid21, Sep 20, 2012.

?

Which is better Java 7 or Java 6?

1. Java 7

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Java 6

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. There the same

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

grid21

Ok so I run Java 6 because it lets me use up to 1.5GB for my server on my computer. But as soon as I update to Java 7 and I go to run my server it suddenly says "Can't create virtual machince" and something like "cannot create large enough heap size". But when I configure the batch file to 1.0GB I can run my server just fine in Java 7. So why in the blue blazes am I suddenly limited to 1.0GB in Java 7 but could run 1.5GB in Java 6? I actually had to downgrade my Java to version 6 so I could have my server ram back again. (Which wasn't easy)
    My computer is Windows 7 32-bit with 2.00GHz with 4GB of ram.
    I would think that having 4GB of ram should be good enough to have 1.5GB in Java 7. If anyone can give my a logical answer I would be very grateful.

2. Offline

TnT

That isn't a Java 6v7 problem, its a 32bit limitation. You cannot allocate more than 1.5GB RAM to a x86 (32 bit) Java process.

3. Offline

grid21

But why is it as soon as I update Java I lose half a gig? Can you explain the reason for this further?

4. Offline

TnT

Not without more information on what you're trying.

5. Offline

grid21

All I am doing is running a small bukkit server on my laptop and in Java 6 I can have 1.5gig and my server runs fine. But when Java updates to 7 I can't have 1.5GB it will only allow me to have 1.0GB and I can't seem to increase it further without an error about the dump heap problem. What is dump heap anyway? What more can I tell you so you can explain to me what's going wrong.

6. Offline

TnT

I mean specifics. The commands.

7. Offline

grid21

Sure. This is what my batch file is set with. The reason for the extra coding is I have a plugin that restarts my server when the ram gets full.
    @ECHO OFF
    :restart
    echo running server now , you can't close the server until a restart happens.
    java -Xmx1536M -Xms300M -jar craftbukkit-1.3.2-R0.1.jar nogui -nojline
    echo Restart after 10 seconds , you can close now
    ping -n 2 -w 500 0.0.0.1>nul
    echo Restart after 9 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 8 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 7 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 6 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 5 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 4 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 3 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 2 seconds , you can close now
    echo Restart after 1 seconds , you can close now
    goto restart

8. Offline

TnT

grid21
    Have you tried simply running from the command line?
    Such as:
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1536M -jar craftbukkit.jar -nojline

Or
    java -Xmx1536M -jar craftbukkit.jar

This is the first I've heard of Java 7 not allowing up to 1536M for a heap size. You can also try adjusting that value down as well, such as:
    java -Xmx1500M -jar craftbukkit.jar (adjusting the 1500M down until it works).

9. Offline

grid21

I
    Well I'm going to be reformatting my computer on Monday so I'll try it then. I honestly don't know anything about Java and I am willing to try anything you or anyone else suggests. What other aspects could I try? I've even tried adjusting the Java control panel to handle 1.5Gb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.