Is this really more efficient or not?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by pyraetos, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pyraetos

I had a weird idea yesterday to run two servers instead of multiple worlds. I thought this would be more efficient because with 1 server, I have lots of plugins which I don't need shared between the two worlds. Also, since apparently CraftBukkit does not use multiple cores, I thought this would give it a chance to do so. I did that, and even with my homemade (and probably not very efficient) cross-server chat/join and leave notifications, it seems to be the same if not better in lag. But is it really smarter to do it this way?

2. Offline

mindless728

if you have the cores/memory to do it, then yeah it will be more efficient o long a you don't try to synchronize too much between the servers (doesn't sound like you are)

its too bad that ServerPort hasn't been worked on in a while as that could allow you to link the servers together

3. Offline

pyraetos

I'm actually just being clever with the synchronizing plugin by saving chat messages and scheduling a slow repeating read by the other server, with a configuration value so it knows which server is which. No ports involved :p

4. Offline

mindless728

i think the I/O will be loads slower than doing it through sockets, but if it isn't a lot then i wouldn't worry too much about it, though i would look into connecting them together with sockets

5. Offline

pyraetos

I wasnt sure how to do that :p

6. Offline

mindless728

7. Offline

pyraetos

Thanks so much! But, in order to communicate with a minecraft server through said socket, won't you have to initialize one there somehow?

8. Offline

mindless728

what i would do is have the plugin try to connect to each server it is supposed to talk to, keep track of the connections if the connection is successful, and then open a ServerSocket so when a server tries to contact them they can accept the connection to talk to them

9. Offline

pyraetos

Yeah but I'm still confused how to get a class from the minecraft or bukkit api, such as MinecraftServer, out of these more universal java classes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.