Is this enough for a server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by lieudusty, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

lieudusty

I have a Intel Pentium dual core (Not Pentium 4, the new one) 2.9 GHz with 2GB of ram and I'm running Ubuntu 11.04. Is that good enough for a server?

2. Offline

andrewkm

down/up speed?

3. Offline

lieudusty

Ping: 35 ms
    Down: 2.87
    Up: 0.73
    This seems slow but whatever

4. Offline

Lolmewn

Quite slow, yes. It can work for some 10 players maybe. Rest of the specs is just fine ;)

5. Offline

lieudusty

Ok, Thanks :D

6. Offline

Lolmewn

No problemo ;)

7. Offline

andrewkm

Yeah your looking at about 10 people, without much of an issue.
    I made a thread sometime ago (Dont feel like looking for it) regarding my experience with a 2mbps up speed, hosting 20-24 ppl no problem. So yeah i think you should handle like 9-11 maybe 12 no problem. (depending on what else your using the system for, ect...) (mine was purely dedicated to the server)

8. Offline

Mafidog

Your RAM is too small, it is not suggested to run a MC server from a smal RAM.
    If your total RAM is 2GB don' t even try.
    If you wanna dedicate 2GB RAM in the server you will be fine.

9. Offline

Serverguy

Mafidog, sorry I run two separate instances of MC (sometimes 3) on a slower server with 2 gigs of ram with no real issues at all.

I have had 6-7 players on various maps at the same time and things seem to run great, lieudusty you shouldn't have any issues at all running that server on linux. If you do, drop me a line, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time getting mine to a point that I'm finally happy with it.

10. Offline

Huns

You should be able to assign the server a gig of RAM and have plenty left over for the OS / window manager. That will support way more players than you're going to be able to comfortably serve with your upstream. Might get better now that Notch is working on the netcode, though.

11. Offline

Mafidog

It doesn' t have to do with RAM only, it also has to do with your upload speed, that' s why you can run your server.
    For instance, I run Minecraft at a 4GB RAM, and my up speed is 0.9 I couldn' t handle even 5 players.
    I dunno about if these specs are good right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.