Solved Is there a way to get the block's EXACT material name?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by BlueNova, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

BlueNova

so i was coding today and trying to get the block that i am standing on.

it came to me that when i stood on an OAK_LOG block, its material is called LOG
    i wanted to check if the material.OAK_LOG was the same as the LOG i got earlier or not
    and ofc, they were not equal.

i am trying to make a block shuffle plugin where a player must stand on a prompted block under 5 mins

and if the player is prompted to stand on ANDESITE.. when they find it the block.getType() is called STONE

this makes the game overly easier and unfun.

I would LOVE anyone that can tell me how to get the specific material of a block

2. Offline

KarimAKL

@BlueNova That was changed in 1.13, you're using an old version.

For versions below 1.13, check the data/durability as well.

3. Offline

BlueNova

i am using Bukkit 1.15.2

@KarimAKL

can u please elaborate on how i would do that above 1.13?

my line of code is exactly so

Code:
    Block b = loc.getBlock();
    Material blockMat = Material.getMaterial(b.getType().toString())

4. Offline

bowlerguy66

This shouldn't be a problem in 1.15.2. Can I ask why you're writing it as
    Code:
    Material blockMat = Material.getMaterial(b.getType().toString());
    Why not use
    Code:
    Material blockMat = b.getType()

5. Offline

BlueNova

@bowlerguy66
    i was purely trying different ways and checking if this will get me anywhere to where i want it to be.

i tried it and when i stood on a spruce log it messages me that i am standing on LOG

OK !!!!

so i fixed it by getting the block.getBlockData() becuase this contains the phrase "oak_planks" in the data

i transformed the blockData to string and checked it with the .contains() with whatever block i got. this allowed me to get very VERY specific into the types of blocks i could add to my game!!

this thread is marked as solved and i hope someone learns smth new from this.

PS: getting Block.getType() still returns "LOG" and not specific types of log.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2020
  6. Offline

bowlerguy66

Can you confirm what bukkit file that you have in your plugin's build path is 1.15.2? I just tested it myself and I got SPRUCE_LOG.

LOG doesn't exist in the Material enum

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

7. Offline

BlueNova

@bowlerguy66
    I just did. i AM using 1.15.2 and Material SPRUCE_LOG exists but when i check a block at a specific location (the block beneath me) and use Block.getType().toString() it will be LOG for some reason

8. Offline

KarimAKL

@BlueNova Try Material#name() instead of Material#toString().

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.