[INFO] LagMeter [BukkitDev]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by DemmyDemon, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Offline

DemmyDemon

Kane, morganm, terminator3199 and 8 others like this.
  2. Offline

DemmyDemon

No. If WorldEdit has something similar to this. It doesn't do average over x polls, requires you to not do anything heavy for 5 seconds, etc etc.
    Yes, it's very useful, but it's not the same. Besides, it doesn't provide pretty lag-o-meters :)

3. Offline

Supersheepman

Thanks for this! My server used to be really laggy and this is helping me to improve it.

4. Offline

DemmyDemon

You're welcome, glad it's useful.

I'll be implementing the logging feature today, hopefully!

5. Offline

Schloobydooby

I'm looking for/have an idea for a plugin like this, but checks the latency of each player and allows you to kick any players over a set latency. But very nice work on this one. Way better then having to be in cmd to make the pong mean something.

6. Offline

DemmyDemon

Yeah, I'm playing around with the different ways of pinging users, but my Java isn't really strong enough for me to be spawning threads to send ICMP ECHO requests anywhere. That means it's locking up the main thread, which is very very bad.
    Reading up on proper threading now, so it WILL be implemented, just not right now...

7. Offline

Kane

@DemmyDemon I love this plugin. Simple yet advanced haha. I wish there was more tools and such that could be added. I guess you could add new commands like entities count and such. But I wish there was even more debugging info that could be provided.

One thing id love to see if not this another plugin is a plugin list command that displays their version. This way if you do it Via console you can easily copy/paste it from there or see it from there. In game even do it most people have a chat mod to have it all spam out.

But 1 plugin per line and its version would be useful for quick debugging.

8. Offline

DemmyDemon

That would be neat, yes, but it's outside the scope of this plugin. Why don't you make a post in the plugin requests forum?
    I don't want to keep adding and adding to this, as it'll soon grow so large and complex it'll be more hassle than it's worth!

Kane likes this.
  9. Offline

topsub

Question here: What is the overhead of giving this command to everyone? Does it effect performance if someone does /lag ?

I guess if 5 people do /lag at once does it effect the game play?

10. Offline

DemmyDemon

That shouldn't be noticeable at all.
    It polls every X ticks, and stores the delay.
    What actually happens when you say /lag is that this result is given back to you. It does calculate the average, but that should not be noticeable, unless you have 100 users doing it at the same time, and then it'll be the very least of your troubles.

11. Offline

topsub

Awesome i will try this out and offer any feedback if i have any. As we all know if we runs servers you always have the guys yelling lag. This is a good way to prove them wrong!. haha

12. Offline

DemmyDemon

...or prove them right! :-O

Hope it serves you well.

13. Offline

SeeD419

Really, the complete lag test would include a client to server ping test as well.

Although, this plugin alone is a godsend. I can also monitor memory leaks remotely :p Thanks, works great.

Edit: Although I will add that your permissions check is kinda fail :/ GroupManager may be old and not updated, but in no way do any of its features fail to work. Tbh, I can edit permissions remotely all day long with shorthand commands too. I think the newer permissions plugins (or native permissions) are 'inferior'. Mine's just old :)

14. Offline

DemmyDemon

Haha, I think it's funny how people fail to read this thread.
    I am working on integrating ping times, but I don't want it to suck, so it's taking some time.

Also, what's "kinda fail" about my permissions check? Does it not work? If you tell me what's wrong with it, I might fix it, but "kinda fail" is not an error report I can use.
    The built-in "superperms" is superior for me, the programmer, as it simplifies permissions checking a whole lot, and standardizes how it works.
    No, I'm not super-happy with it, but it's certainly better than having 4-5 different ones you need to support the quirks of.

So yeah, come up with something better than "kinda fail", and I might listen.

15. Offline

SeeD419

[​IMG]

16. Offline

DemmyDemon

Hahahahaha
    This happens all the time.

There must be something strange with my accent or something, because even when I hardly care at all people think I'm angry.
    I assure you, I'm not. Slightly annoyed at your "error report", but not nearly invested enough in you to have any stronger emotions than that.

Serious question: Are you trolling?

17. Offline

SeeD419

All I did was drop by and compliment your plugin. I believe the exact word I used was 'godsend'.

I was just mentioning the message. Calm down....

18. Offline

DemmyDemon

Haha, see? It happened again.
    I am calm.

Anyway, I hope the plugin serves you well, and I'll stop calling your pet permissions system "inferior" in the next version if it makes you feel better.
    [edit]
    The next version will say "Old permissions system detected. Using it."

19. Offline

SeeD419

In all seriousness though, inferior is totally the wrong word. Yes, it's 3 months old, but GM is a complete and fully functional permissions system. I'd just rather type: /manuadd player group than
    "/permissions player addgroup <player> <group>"

Every command that plugin has is a mouthful...

20. Offline

DemmyDemon

Please bring that up in that plugin's thread. This is not the correct place to bring it up.
    From a developer's standpoint, it's a lot easier to deal with the new permissions system, and if GroupManager wanted to they could support it well AND give you your preferred command syntax.

I've removed the word "inferior" from the message, so let's please just move on.

21. Offline

SeeD419

I believe you said
    Which is why I explained myself :) It's not relevant to the new Permissions thread, and the GM thread is locked. It's really only relevant to your error message, because outside of that I'm not having any issues with permissions...

22. Offline

DemmyDemon

Yes, I've understood now that there was no error or any problems what so ever, you were just taking offence to the message calling your pet permissions system "inferior". Hence the moving on :)

23. Offline

SeeD419

Nah, not really taking offense mate. Just stating the truth.

Also, you're trying to use a chatcolor in that message when it logs to the console. It just prints &c and actually isn't visible as red text to the user :)

24. Offline

DemmyDemon

Not everyone uses Windows, mate.

25. Offline

SeeD419

It's running on Suse, mate. Has nothing to do with Windows.

You're using the API wrong. Chatcolor is not for logging to the console, it's for in-game chat messages.

26. Offline

DemmyDemon

You're right.
    Code:
    15:03:42 [SEVERE] [LagMeter 0.4] §cInferior Permissions system detected.  Using it :(
    It works fine when responding to a command and stuff. Do lag from the console, for example.

Oh well, super-minor cosmetic problem. Fixed in the next version by simply stripping off the "attempted redness".

27. Offline

Austin

I prefer this over the command book clock test.
    I like the fact it takes an average.

Its very good for finding which players are bringing the server down. Our server can handle 20, but at time it lags as bad as 2 ticks per second.
    Hopefully this will help me find the players causing the trouble.
    Also ive noticed my memory dropping and dropping until it gets to 80ish, then resets back to 400 and continues to drop.

28. Offline

DemmyDemon

Good to hear it suits your needs!
    I didn't think individual players could bring the TPS down on the server? How do you mean?
    This is very relevant to my interests, to say the least!
    That's Java garbage collection kicking in. I wouldn't worry about it.

0.4 is released, and contains the much-requested logging feature.
    Please give me feedback on this, as I'm not sure it has the format people want.

I was holding off on this, trying to find a good way to implement pinging clients, but that's proving very elusive...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  29. Offline

Kozzy68

Hi,
    0.4 is making NPE when you stop server and have loging to file disabled. it seems its closing file that was not even open.

30. Offline

DemmyDemon

Ooops, I'll get on it right away.

[edit]
    Fixed it in 0.4.1, uploaded now.
    Updating OP.

31. Offline

Austin

Players who are connecting from the other side of the world, especially in rural areas where internet speeds can be slow and of poor quality, can put more load on the server. I was told this by another root admin on my server, drdanick. He is a plugin developer here too.