[INACTIVE][TP] Nether v1.2 (2.0 in progress) - Super-Simple Nether Portals [1000]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by SpaceManiac, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Offline

SpaceManiac

Nether - Super-Simple Nether Portals
    Version: v1.2
    Tested on: should work on all RBs 450+; tested on 766. DOES NOT work on 1060.

I'm updating Nether very soon to work on 1060+ and also adding some nifty new features!

I use Bukkit, but have no plugins except a bit of my own tinkering installed. When multiworlds came out I decided that the denizens of my server could use some Nether action, but every plugin I could find came with too many frills, so I wrote up a simple one to use. There is no configuration and no commands. Figured I'd post it here in case somebody found it useful. It's basically designed to be used when you just want to add a classic Nether to your currently single-world server.

Features:
    • World coordinates are scaled 8x like in single player.
    • No configuration, commands, or persistent storage - drop and go!
    • Teleportation is smooth and usually lag-free (especially when the chunks on the other side are already loaded)
    • Portals are auto-created when teleporting through a new portal, carving a small cavern and placing a platform if needed.
    • Dying in the Nether teleports you back to the Earth spawn!
    Known Issues:
    • Portal frames are not detected, only active portals, so if you try to portal through to an inactive portal, a new portal might be generated a few blocks off.
    • Both sides of a portal must be uncovered or there is a risk of suffocation when teleporting in.
    • The area carved around new portals can sometimes cut into existing structures if you're not careful, though this is unlikely.
    • Ghast noises can still be heard on Earth in some cases (Bukkit bug).
    Download: Nether v1.2
    Source code: GitHub (MIT License)

Changelog:
    Version 1.2 (April 13)
    • Portals no longer make a giant platform and air bubble and instead seek vertically for a suitable location (thanks Acru).
    • The Nether world name is now configurable (thanks Acru).
    • The Nether world is now loaded on startup instead of first portal use.
    Version 1.1 (February 25)
    • Removed some vestigial debugging methods.
    • Dying in the Nether now respawns players on Earth.
    • Fixed TSLPC.
    Version 1.0 (February 15)
    • Initial release.

2. Offline

woodzy

i have permissons 2.6 and not all of my users can go thro the gates :/

3. Offline

Cognito guy

I can't see the ghasts' fireballs :s

O and also: Can't you make the Nether allways night? Day really ruins the feeling...

4. Offline

Brettflan

This plugin doesn't use permissions of any sort.

Bug with the core Minecraft server by Mojang and will need to be fixed by them. You see the same thing playing on an official (non-Bukkit) server.
    I think there used to be a problem that setting the time in one world set it in all worlds; however, I just tested it and found that that's no longer the case (if it ever was).

So... I think I'll release another unofficial build shortly with that feature added.

EDIT:
    All right, on that note, here it is (as always, completely unofficial):
    http://wimbli.com/minecraft/Nether_1.4_unofficial.zip

Changelist:
    • Nether world now has night maintained, by resetting the world's time to early night every 5 minutes

5. Offline

Pestus

Thanks for the response. This does not work. It's still trying to find the chunk data, which is in the format of folders labelled; "1f 1g 1h 1i..."

The files in DIM-1/region look like "r.0.0.mcr r.0.-1.mcr"

6. Offline

woodzy

umm well that dont make any since then :/

7. Offline

Brettflan

That's the old world storage method, which was used before Minecraft Beta 1.3.
    That's the newer world storage method, which has been used since 1.3.

Is the tool you're using up-to-date?

8. Offline

Pestus

Odd. My regular world files (non nether) still have this old file structure, despite running on a bukkit 1.4 build. The map generator program is up to date. i'm going to have to experiment some more I suppose.

9. Offline

rareshutzu

As I see the official plugin is not updated for 714 (or maybe I am wrong). Does this version works on 714?

10. Offline

Captain Kirk

How do you make a portal? Like normal or you have to spawn it?

11. Offline

rareshutzu

Just like in single player

12. Offline

Brettflan

Both the official version and mine should work in RB 733, so you can take your pick.

13. Offline

rareshutzu

Always getting the official. Thanks for the heads up

14. Offline

pagan0ne

Hey, love the plugin, it works GREAT. I would like to run a idea past you, the issue i run into is i have multipul worlds, and would like to have a individual nether for each. I understand you want to keep this mod simple, and i think there may be a simple solution to this.

Idea: when the first portal is created in a world, generate a new nether (nether1, nether2, etc) and then write a line in the config file (world1 -> nether1 and nether1 -> world1 #something like this to make it customizable maybe?), this way, if i have world1 world2 and world3 i can make nether portals that line respectively to nether1, nether2 and nether3, OR if i wanted world1 and world2 to both use nether1 i could modify the config file respectively (however the nether would only be able to TP back to ONE of the linked-from worlds, unless you have a better idea?)

example config:
    -------------------------------------------
    world1 -> nether1
    nether1 ->world1 #default entry

world2 -> nether1 #manually created in config, links world2 to nether1, no way back to world2 using THIS plugin... (ideas on how to fix? - keep it simple, no console commands!)

world3 -> nether2
    nether2 -> world3#automatically created by plugin upon building portal in world3 (used name nether2 since no nether2 exists, another possibility would be to call the nether n$fromworldname ie mainworld -> nmainworld)
    -------------------------------------------

end example

would something like this be possible? would you be interested in adding this to your mod? please? :p

15. Offline

Kuun

Eyh i warn erveryone ! SimpleNether works great with CB733 ! I test it and everything is allright !

I got one question :
    before the update of minecraft and craftbukkit to 1.5 and 733, there were many ghasts (like 15/20 in one spot) but only some pigs (like 2/3 in one spot). I think it was very funny with lots of explosion !

But since update, this is reverse! There is 10 pigs in one spot and only 1/2 ghasts !
    Is this becoming from CraftBukkit ? Can SimpleNether fix that ? I want to recover my horde of ghasts :'(

16. Offline

ulidtko

> Nether_1.4_unofficial.zip
    Code:
       17332  Defl:N    16164   7% 2011-04-25 09:26 d8c364ae  Nether.jar
    --------          -------  ---                            -------
       17332            16164   7%                            1 file

[​IMG]

Seriously, don't pack into that zip. Post links directly to the jar.

17. Offline

agafaba

I would love something like this too, my players wanted multiple worlds but in doing so and changing the default world none of the portals line up correctly. It goes Original > netherworld > new world now.
    I love how simple this one is, hopefully a simple solution could be found. I dont even mind if the nether linked all the worlds, just as long as the portals kept their original destinations.

Even if you dont make the change though, thanks for the plugin!

18. Offline

Naruchico

Seem to be having and issue here, I can't get into the nether, it takes me to some alternate over-world above the "netherworld"....no errors using the new recommended, any thoughts?

19. Offline

Brettflan

@ulidtko Some browsers have trouble downloading JAR files, trying to open them instead. 99.99999% of people on the internet are able to open ZIP files, and if for whatever reason you're using an automatic downloading setup for a server or whatever, you should likewise find it trivial to deal with.
    What do you have against ZIP files? Do they not like them on 4Chan? :p

20. I actually came on here to ask exactly the same thing as @paganOne.
    Up until now, I have only had one normal world and one hell world. But now I am wanting to add a second normal world and am concerned what will happen with the hell portals!

21. Offline

ulidtko

Oh come on. Every browser can save files from URLs. Instead some users can't actually use their browser. And I don't understand why should I struggle because of them :/

~Poke~ likes this.
  22. Offline

Brettflan

ZIP files are a struggle for you? :)

23. Actually, Bukkit itself comes as Jar, so you could suggest users are able to download Plugins .Jar Files when they are able to obtain a Bukkit Jar to run the Server that should use the Plugin, aye?

ulidtko and ~Poke~ like this.
  24. Offline

Parrothead

I haven't seen this problem posted yet, but when my users enter the Nether world, the server thinks they're hacking, and kicks them. I've tried allow-flight=true, and this error still shows up. I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.

25. Offline

Noffletoff

Hello, I am having a problem with mobs spawning in the Nether. I'm not sure if it has to do with this plugin or not, but this is what happened. I was updating the server plugins (I was using Nether 1.1) I then updated to nether 1.2, while I was setting properties for the other plugins, I renamed the netherworld in the properties of 1.2 (I had no idea renaming the nether would change it in anyway) When I entered the nether, it was changed. So I put the name back to the original name "netherworld". Now monsters don't seem to want to spawn in the Nether. I have tried reinstalling nether, and using the old version, and the unsupported version, non will spawn mobs. I am running Bukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-706-gf53e007-b740jnks (MC:1.5_02) if it helps.

Thanks.

26. Offline

Garfy46

Hey all.

Registered on here to post an issue with this mod. I'm using the 1.4 version posted a few pages back (Thanks). Me and a friend went on an epic adventure into the Nether via a portal, which of course spawned a new one on the other side. We walked for a bit before we decided to create another portal for us to travel back through, rather than trying to hunt any pre-existing portals. However, when we tried to go through, it caused massive issues with the server causing us both to crash and the server revert back aroudn 10 minutes (Though only inventories, not the real world or Nether.) Just a note, when we came through the portal we spawned in the sky and endlessly fell before crash.

Any idea on this? I'll attach a bit of my log to see if anyone can figure it out. Is it just due to bad positioning of our portal or? Other than this crashing the plugin is perfect. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

(Editted log out to avoid Clutter as response was give. ;) )

27. Offline

pagan0ne

It looks like you need more RAM in your server, or you need to allocate more to java when you start the server.

In the future please dont post large snips of logs in comments, use a service like pastebin.com and link to it to prevent clutter.

Also did you even read the log file you posted?

If you need help running a server please reference THIS

28. Offline

Garfy46

Apoligies for my naiveness, I must have skipped over that bit. Thanks for pointing it out.

Unfortunately the link you suppllied is little help for help, as the server is run by hosts. I'll have to put a ticket in about it. But no need to act so hostile next time. :S

Thanks.

29. Offline

joshb

when i use the portal the spawn doesn't generate and i have to reconnect every time, does this happen to anyone else?

30. Offline

pagan0ne

where was i hostile? i pointed out where in the log files your issue was, advised you to use a pastebin service in the future to prevent flooding this forum with excessivly long messages. And then, because your answer was present in the logfile itself, and not referencing some obscure issue within bukkit/java/minecraft i asked if you had even reviewed the log as thats what its there for. Finally i posted a link to the officialy guide bukkit provides for starting a server. If i wanted to be hostile i would have asked if you needed me to wipe your ass for you as well. and yes, i am being hostile now. It seems you are upset with me because i pointed out the error, and showed you how obvious it was if you had bothered to look yourself.

31. Offline

Mergrim

So we've been using the unofficial 1.4 of this plugin(linked on the last page I think) for a few days now with no problems, under various RBs including 733 and our current 740. So I get up today and I try to log in to my server and I find that I keep getting a connection reset error.

The log showed this: (click spoiler)

Show Spoiler

Code:
    2011-05-01 20:59:49 [INFO] Mergrim [/omgmyip!] logged in with entity id 177
    2011-05-01 20:59:50 [SEVERE] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagByteArray.a(SourceFile:21)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:64)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagCompound.a(SourceFile:19)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NBTBase.b(SourceFile:64)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NBTTagCompound.a(SourceFile:19)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.CompressedStreamTools.a(SourceFile:46)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ChunkRegionLoader.a(SourceFile:29)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:132)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.getChunkAt(ChunkProviderServer.java:62)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.PlayerInstance.<init>(PlayerInstance.java:33)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.PlayerManager.a(PlayerManager.java:37)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.PlayerManager.addPlayer(PlayerManager.java:76)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:102)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.b(NetLoginHandler.java:95)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetLoginHandler.a(NetLoginHandler.java:33)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:87)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:370)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:285)
    2011-05-01 20:59:51 [SEVERE]     at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:394)
    2011-05-01 20:59:52 [INFO] Stopping server

So after a bunch of trial and error removing my plugins one by one to find the cause, I find that removing the unofficial Nether plugin fixes the issue. Curious, I put the "official" 1.2 version linked in the OP on my server, and the server works fine. Just to make sure, I switched back to the 1.4 unofficial and indeed, the server breaks again. So there might be something up with the unofficial version. I've switched back to the official and everything is running smoothly again.