[INACTIVE][SEC] Honeypot rev 6 - Honeypots (griefer traps) for Bukkit [677]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Argomirr, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Offline

Argomirr

[​IMG]

Honeypot - Honeypots (griefer traps) for Bukkit [677]
    Version: revision 6
    Author: Argomirr

A plugin that allows Op's to create so called "honeypots," traps to identify and take care of dishonest players.
    Using the /honeypot or /hp commands you can turn any block into a honeypot: if a griefer tries to break it, everyone online will be alerted and the violation will be logged so an admin can take action, and optionally, Honeypot can kick or ban (MCBans) said player automatically. The block will be replaced, the trap reset - ready to catch the next griefer before he knows it.

For example, you can place a little shrine with valuable blocks such as gold near your spawn, and turn them into honeypots. When a griefer logs in, sees nobody around and decides the shiny blocks on that shrine would look so much better in his house, he's already given himself away.

DylanP made a video that shows very nicely what this plugin does: click here to watch it.

Features:
    • Plug 'n play - just drop Honeypot.jar in your plugins directory, and you're good to go
    • Identify and take care of dishonest players (almost) entirely automatically
    • Very easy to use
    • Full logging of honeypot violations
    • Configurable via a .properties file
    • Supports MCBans and Permissions
    Download - mirror

Source Code

How to use
    To install Honeypot, drop Honeypot.jar into your plugins directory, and run the server once. The plugin will generate a new directory, plugins/Honeypot, where you can find the honeypot violation log (honeypot.log), the properties file (honeypot.properties) and a file used to store honeypot data (list.ncsv).

Open honeypot.properties with your favorite text editor and make any changes you want, then run your server again.

A little note: if you wish to enable the ban feature, set the kick feature to false. Note that you need to have MCBans installed in order for banning to work.

You can apply the following permission nodes if you use the Permissions plugin:
    If you don't, it will default to Op's only.

You can now log in and use /honeypot or /hp (Op's only, at this time) to start the process of making a honeypot. You will now be prompted to right click a block with the tool you specified (default: wooden axe) to create a honeypot. You can select any block, but it's recommended you choose a shiny block - something a griefer would want to break - and make sure it doesn't look like an obvious trap. (A single diamond block in the middle of nowhere looks somewhat suspicious, don't you agree?) You can keep selecting blocks until you exit the honeypot creation process by entering the /honeypot or /hp command again. To destroy the honeypot, simply have any Op break it and the block will be dropped as normal.

Congratulations, you've set up your honeypot! You can set up as many honeypots as you like, but keep in mind that this system was not designed to be used as an area protection plugin, so don't apply /hp to every block on your house.

One more thing: honeypot data will automatically be saved once the server stops, but you can also apply a manual save by using /honeypot save or /hp s to prevent data loss in case of a server crash.

Updating
    If you are updating from revision 1, 2, 3 or 4, you should delete your honeypot.properties file and run the server once to generate a new one. Some new settings have been added and the settings file needs to be updated to reflect those changes.

Changelog:
    Revision 6:
    • MCBans 2.8.x compatibility (Honeypot will still work with older versions of MCBans)
    • Fixed a bug that canceled honeypot creation if you hit a block that is already a honeypot
    Revision 5:
    (Download - CraftBukkit 617/670)
    • Added date and location of honeypots to the log file
    • Made /honeypot toggleable to ease the process of creating multiple honeypots
    Revision 4:
    (Download - CraftBukkit 602/617)
    • Updated code for latest recommended CraftBukkit build #602
    Revision 3:
    (Download - CraftBukkit 544)
    • Added an option to disable notifications to all online players
    Revision 2:
    • MCBans support (experimental)
    • Permissions support
    Revision 1:
    • Initial release
    And thanks to godsyn for the idea. (Sorry I didn't mention you before, it slipped my mind.)

2. Offline

DylanP

3. Offline

Argomirr

@KiloWhiskey Consider it done.

@wassillij Since so many people seem to want that feature I'll make it a little easier to create multiple honeypots.

@DylanP Very nice! Added to the first post. ;)

4. Offline

MineralMC

I know Lampstone does multi-block placement very effectively using a toggle command; /lampstone to toggle LS mode on, and again to toggle it off. A /hp toggle so multiple blocks can be struck with the marker tool would be very handy.

5. Offline

anonymous

soo umm apparently its not working right? I have log set to true and this is all its doing:

Code:

6. Offline

Giuseppe

hi

it´s posible from a Localban change to a Globalban by MC Ban with your Plugin

Sry for my Bad english

7. Offline

Argomirr

That's exactly what I had in mind!

You are looking at the wrong file; this is list.ncsv, where data about honeypots is stored. The log is called honeypot.log, and is not created until a honeypot violation occurs.

I don't think changing it to a global ban would be a good idea. Because this is an automated system there is is risk for false positives (e.g. players that break a honeypot accidentally or whatever) and we wouldn't want innocent players to be banned, let alone globally.

8. Offline

anonymous

Yeah sorry, my bad :p

9. Offline

Argomirr

I have updated the plugin to include the suggestions by KiloWhiskey and MineralMC. Jail support coming soon, because I might add it without the API if it means it can be added sooner.

Be sure to allow the server to generate a new honeypot.properties when you're updating, I changed a little thing to make the naming more consistent.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention: revision 5 works on both CB 617 and 670

10. Offline

KiloWhiskey

Code:
    2011-04-10 08:22:24 [INFO] MCBans: Mcbans is online!
    2011-04-10 08:22:24 [INFO] Honeypot: Permissions plugin found, using that.
    2011-04-10 08:22:24 [INFO] Honeypot: Didn't find MCBans plugin, using default.
    2011-04-10 08:22:24 [INFO] Honeypot revision 5 by Argomirr succesfully loaded
    Seem that it's just kicking people because it's not seeing MCBans even though it is there. This has been happening since rev 4 but I'm not sure if it's the update to honeypot or the update to MCBans.

11. Offline

Argomirr

I think I know what might be doing this; there have been some changes in how plugin hooks are handled and although I checked to make sure it works with the MCBans version I have, something may have changed in the new version. I'll have to update a tiny little thing.

[EDIT]What CB build are you using? Revision 5 currently works fine on CB 670 with MCBans 2.7.4.

12. Offline

Josh Harwood

can you at the ability to detect if a user trys punching honeypot block a couple times in a specified time?
    my guests cannot edit the map but i am trying to use a honeypot to instantly filter them bad from good.
    and i've noticed if its an accident they hit it 1-2 times very quickly, if they are trying to grief it's 3-15 times over 5 seconds

13. Offline

KiloWhiskey

I'm running rev 5 with the lasted mcbans, on CB 670. Dunno what to say, I'll reinstall both and see what changes.

Why is this still checking against 2.7.4? The version on their site is 2.8.3 and as a premium user I can't use the lower versions.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  14. Offline

Argomirr

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware a newer version is available - I'll download it and have a look at the internals tomorrow, something may have changed but it should be an easy fix.

15. Offline

MineralMC

Minor fix request - can right clicking a block that is already a honeypot not cancel the honeypot process? The text that is already will there will suffice, especially now you've implemented multi-HPing, which is bloody useful by the way. :)

16. Offline

Argomirr

@MineralMC Oh, meant to do that for the previous release, must've forgotten. Gonna fix it right away.

@KiloWhiskey You were right about MCBans, fortunately it was an easy fix. Uploading the new revision as I type this...

17. Offline

Giuseppe

honey-pot-kick only and ban no People

i Use MCBAns
    MCBans 2.8.3!

#Fri Apr 08 16:19:09 CEST 2011
    honeypot-kick-msg=You are A Griefer keep out of our Server.
    toolID=271
    log-to-file=true
    notify-online-players=false
    kick=false
    ban=true

18. Offline

Argomirr

Lemme look into that...

[EDIT]Working fine on my end. (Honeypot rev 6, MCBans 2.8.3, CB 670) Could you perhaps post your server log (in specific, the part where Honeypot initializes)? Perhaps it's having trouble finding MCBans for whatever reason.

19. Offline

MineralMC

Ditto. It seems to work perfectly alongside MCBans. Not sure what Giuseppe is doing wrong.

20. Offline

Argomirr

Only thing I can think of is that he may still be using revision 5, which will fail to detect MCBans 2.8+ due to a recent change in how plugin loading is handled. Updating to rev 6 should fix it.

21. Offline

godsyn

Just posting to say thank you again for this excellent plugin. Any assistance in stopping dishonest players is appreciated.

22. Offline

Argomirr

And thank you for taking the effort to actually say you like it. It's always nice to know your work is appreciated.

@Giuseppe Perhaps you should try deleting your properties file and allow the plugin to generate a new one. I see a little error in there, which may cause the plugin to skip the config altogether and just load up the default settings.

23. Offline

MikeC2103

Would it be possible to let the players mine the block all the way to the end.. then kick/ban them?

So it looks like they about to get it before they get booted.

Or even just have the block respawn after the guy is booted.

If you are feeling silly.. maybe replace the griefer with a random animal when they are kicked. So it looks like they turn into pigs or chickens

24. Offline

Argomirr

The blocks already respawn when broken and a player needs to fully mine the block before getting banned.

25. Offline

MikeC2103

ah ok. Just watched the video and that didn't seem to be in it.

Certainly going to get some good use out of this :D

26. Offline

Spathizilla

Any chance of multiworld support with this? I love the idea but it helps to not have blocks in all worlds function as a trap when only one world should be.

27. Offline

Argomirr

@Spathizilla I was afraid multiworld would come back to haunt me at some point... It's on my list, though.

28. Offline

Spathizilla

Lovely.

29. Offline

gilgatex

Just wanted to thank you for this. There was always one spot griefers seemed to gravitate toward (the big glass wall holding back a bunch of water). I put a honeypot on the glass and it catches half of them before they do any damage :)

30. Offline

AirBiscuit

Can Minecarts be made into honeypots, and if not would you consider adding that in?

31. Offline

PanCakes

add support for essentials admin and kiwiadmin.