[INACTIVE][SEC] Honeypot rev 6 - Honeypots (griefer traps) for Bukkit [677]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Argomirr, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Offline

Argomirr

[​IMG]

Honeypot - Honeypots (griefer traps) for Bukkit [677]
    Version: revision 6
    Author: Argomirr

A plugin that allows Op's to create so called "honeypots," traps to identify and take care of dishonest players.
    Using the /honeypot or /hp commands you can turn any block into a honeypot: if a griefer tries to break it, everyone online will be alerted and the violation will be logged so an admin can take action, and optionally, Honeypot can kick or ban (MCBans) said player automatically. The block will be replaced, the trap reset - ready to catch the next griefer before he knows it.

For example, you can place a little shrine with valuable blocks such as gold near your spawn, and turn them into honeypots. When a griefer logs in, sees nobody around and decides the shiny blocks on that shrine would look so much better in his house, he's already given himself away.

DylanP made a video that shows very nicely what this plugin does: click here to watch it.

Features:
    • Plug 'n play - just drop Honeypot.jar in your plugins directory, and you're good to go
    • Identify and take care of dishonest players (almost) entirely automatically
    • Very easy to use
    • Full logging of honeypot violations
    • Configurable via a .properties file
    • Supports MCBans and Permissions
    Download - mirror

Source Code

How to use
    To install Honeypot, drop Honeypot.jar into your plugins directory, and run the server once. The plugin will generate a new directory, plugins/Honeypot, where you can find the honeypot violation log (honeypot.log), the properties file (honeypot.properties) and a file used to store honeypot data (list.ncsv).

Open honeypot.properties with your favorite text editor and make any changes you want, then run your server again.

A little note: if you wish to enable the ban feature, set the kick feature to false. Note that you need to have MCBans installed in order for banning to work.

You can apply the following permission nodes if you use the Permissions plugin:
    If you don't, it will default to Op's only.

You can now log in and use /honeypot or /hp (Op's only, at this time) to start the process of making a honeypot. You will now be prompted to right click a block with the tool you specified (default: wooden axe) to create a honeypot. You can select any block, but it's recommended you choose a shiny block - something a griefer would want to break - and make sure it doesn't look like an obvious trap. (A single diamond block in the middle of nowhere looks somewhat suspicious, don't you agree?) You can keep selecting blocks until you exit the honeypot creation process by entering the /honeypot or /hp command again. To destroy the honeypot, simply have any Op break it and the block will be dropped as normal.

Congratulations, you've set up your honeypot! You can set up as many honeypots as you like, but keep in mind that this system was not designed to be used as an area protection plugin, so don't apply /hp to every block on your house.

One more thing: honeypot data will automatically be saved once the server stops, but you can also apply a manual save by using /honeypot save or /hp s to prevent data loss in case of a server crash.

Updating
    If you are updating from revision 1, 2, 3 or 4, you should delete your honeypot.properties file and run the server once to generate a new one. Some new settings have been added and the settings file needs to be updated to reflect those changes.

Changelog:
    Revision 6:
    • MCBans 2.8.x compatibility (Honeypot will still work with older versions of MCBans)
    • Fixed a bug that canceled honeypot creation if you hit a block that is already a honeypot
    Revision 5:
    (Download - CraftBukkit 617/670)
    • Added date and location of honeypots to the log file
    • Made /honeypot toggleable to ease the process of creating multiple honeypots
    Revision 4:
    (Download - CraftBukkit 602/617)
    • Updated code for latest recommended CraftBukkit build #602
    Revision 3:
    (Download - CraftBukkit 544)
    • Added an option to disable notifications to all online players
    Revision 2:
    • MCBans support (experimental)
    • Permissions support
    Revision 1:
    • Initial release
    And thanks to godsyn for the idea. (Sorry I didn't mention you before, it slipped my mind.)

2. Offline

Spazmic

Yes it was making the server crash when a player was caught breaking the pot. I guess it's because it couldn't find MCBans. I couldn't see the server console tough, because text was scrolling way too fast. I couldn't see any error in the logs too. Sorry if I can't help you more with that :S

Also maybe you could implement your own banning system :p just a suggestion, tough! I guess your priorities were not to make a banning system but a trap.

3. Offline

Exxion

You should make it capable of changing the griefer's group in Permissions. I have a Griefers group (which doesn't allow building or breaking) on my server, and it would really help if it could change their group instead of kicking them.

4. Offline

Odjit

I also use KiwiAdmin for kicks and bans ;x

5. Offline

Argomirr

@Spazmic Aw... It shouldn't crash if MCBans isn't installed, but rather just kick people the old fashioned way. Looks like I have some debugging to do. ;)

@Exxion That doesn't sound to hard to implement. I'll give it a shot once I've worked away the rest of the to-do list.

6. Offline

blackmist

Argomirr, is it possible for you to support worldedit? Then we can use wooden axe to select two points and make the whole structure a honeypot? Wouldn't that be better as theres a higher chance of players being caught for griefing anypart of the structure?

Its kinda tiring to put /hp and punch every block of "home" aka a griefing trap.

7. Offline

Argomirr

I have thought about doing something like that, but this plugin was created with a minimalist, unobtrusive approach in mind, e.g. things like a little shrine with some gold blocks that act as honeypots, or just /hp the valuable blocks on your home. It was not supposed to be another area protection plugin, which is why I chose to do it this way. Besides, the current flatfile system isn't exactly ideal for dealing with large amounts of blocks.

I may look into it sometime, but don't get your hopes up just yet. :)

8. Offline

KiloWhiskey

@Argomirr I love this plugin. I'm glad to say that it hasn't caught anyone on my server (mostly because we advertise as grief free) but I would love for you to make a quick change. When it catches someone it tells the whole server what they were caught doing. While this wouldn't normally be a problem, a lot of trouble makers have joined my server in the past in groups. That means one will be left behind knowing what went down and griefing other areas in the world. Is there any way you could give us an option to disable the notification so that it just does the normal mcbans 'player was banned for rule violations' or even let us put in the config what it announces. Just having the word honeypot on screen gives away the trap.

9. Offline

Argomirr

@KiloWhiskey Done. The new revision has been uploaded, but make sure you delete your honeypot.properties and allow the server to generate a new one. :)

10. Offline

Juze

Wow, this must be the greatest idea in Bukkit history. Thanks!

11. Offline

godsyn

12. Offline

KiloWhiskey

I meant for the ban message. Or can I add a line like
    Code:
    honeypot-ban-msg=blah blah blah...
    Because all I'm getting is the line for kicking. Also, can I set this line to blank and have it use the default message?

EDIT: Ignore me. I noticed you add the 'notify online players' part. Thanks a mint! This is a great plugin!

13. Offline

Argomirr

14. Offline

godsyn

I've been using this for a day now, and I have to say I'm impressed. It is a simple to use, and functional plugin. Thank you.

15. Offline

ViralNihility

Has this been updated for CB 602 yet?

16. Offline

Argomirr

@ViralNihility I'm on it. :)

[EDIT]All up to date now. For the people still using CB 544, revision 3 is still available for download - check the changelog.

I'll be getting to work on SimpleBan and Jail support soon, by the way.

17. Offline

halofreak506

I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong, I get this info in the console and when I try using the /honeypot command the entire command just shows up in the chat box instead.

18. Offline

Sany_CZ

Can you add command support. i will be happier if I could place griefer in jail.

19. Offline

Argomirr

@halofreak506 What CraftBukkit build are you running? The latest revision (rev 4) has undergone some major changes to make it compatible with CB 602 - as a result, it is not compatible with builds prior to CB 602.

You can still download revision 3 which is basically the same, but compatible with CB builds before 602.

@Sany_CZ I will be adding support for the Jail plugin soon.

20. Offline

fallarnon

I just want to toss in my $0.02 in support of the group-changing concept.

21. Offline

DrBowe

I may be missing something here, but when I hit the download link, it gives me a .zip with no HoneyPot.jar in it...
    Any thoughts? :x

22. Offline

Argomirr

All downloads are working for me, are you sure you aren't just extracting the .jar? Jars are essentially zip files, only you're not supposed to extract them.

23. Offline

MacVaultDweller

Looking forward to CB 617 compatibility
    Keep up the great work

24. Offline

Kevin Forte

This NEEDS Jail support if possible D: I would use this in a heartbeat if it would auto-jail players that broke the honeypots.

25. Offline

Argomirr

@Kevin Forte I'm currently waiting for the author of the Jail plugin to implement an API. It's on his to-do list, and I'd rather wait a bit and use a proper API than start right now and use a dirty hook.

@MacVaultDweller Checking if there's any major API changes, is the current revision not working on CB 617?

[EDIT]Revision 4 appears to be working on CB #617 as well as CB #602.

26. Offline

MacVaultDweller

Fantastic! Thanks for the great work and good news.

27. Offline

wassilij

I LOVE THIS!

What you could do is that you can select more than one Block with /hp ;)

28. Offline

KiloWhiskey

@Argomirr Hey Argo... I'd like to see two things tacked on to the log file. First, a date to go along with the time. Seems like that would be pretty easy. Also, I'd like to have coordinates of which block was broken. I have them all over the map in the booster blocks for our rail system and it would be nice to know which areas are the 'most tempting' or most likely to get griefed. Thanks for the awesome plugin.

29. Offline

Kevin Forte

Ahh okay, awesome :) I will simply wait then, as I am not very savvy with the APIs and hooks and whatnot and will take your word for it xD

30. Offline

MineralMC

+1

I'd happily throw any greedy bastards in a block of protected diamond for half an hour or so. :>

31. Offline

Kevin Forte

I already have an obsidian box built and protected, all I need now is a fake "Valuables Vault" and a chest with some diamonds in it ;)