[INACTIVE][MISC] Higher Skies v2 - Increase the vertical build limit (Experimental!) [670]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by deltahat, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Offline

deltahat

Higher Skies - Increase the vertical build limit (Experimental YMMV)
    Version 1

Overview
    Higher Skies is an experimental bukkit plugin that increases the apparent height limit in Minecraft by lowering the entire world.

Higher Skies rewrites each map chunk as it is loaded into memory by stripping off the bottom few layers of the chunk and then shifting the entire chunk contents down. Finally, Higher Skies seals the bottom of the chunk with beadrock and adds a marker block. The marker block ensures that chunks are only rewritten once.

The first time Higher Skies starts, it will attempt to rewrite all the chunks loaded around the world spawn. This process can take a LONG time and consumes a tremendous amount of memory. During the process, the server may crash. Anticipating this, Higher Skies saves its work periodically and will pick up the job near where it left off at the next server start.

It is not recommended that you use Higher Skies on an in-progress Minecraft world. This plugin is experimental and chest inventories, redstone states, minecarts, and world decorations may be destroyed in the chunk rewriting process. In fresh worlds, chunks are rewritten and marked with the marker block well before they are within the reach of a player, so content destruction is not a problem.

Notes
    • Do not use Higher Skies on your production world - I take no responsibility for any damage
    • Higher Skies will cause lag when exploring new territory as chunks are rewritten - this only happens once per chunk
    Installation
    1. BACK UP YOUR WORLD!
    2. Create a new startbukkit.sh file (see below)
    3. Install HigherSkies.jar into your plugins directory
    4. Start your server - the config.yml file will be created
    5. Open the config.yml file and set the number of blocks to drop your world.
    6. Reload the server - Chunk processing will begin
    startbukkit.sh
    Higher Skies requires all the optimizations java can muster and a powerful machine to run it on. Use the following startbukkit.sh script to set java's initial options.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    java -server -native -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    Source: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=68128

Download
    Jar file - https://github.com/rmichela/Higher-Skies/downloads
    Source code - https://github.com/rmichela/Higher-Skies

Changelog
    v1.
    • Initial release
    v2.
    • Fixed floating blocks bug
    • Slight performance increase

Flipp likes this.
  2. Offline

ZachBora

@deltahat

I was generating my map using this plugin and I came across a missing chunk. I thought I'd report you the problem. I'll probably just edit it off with worldedit.

3. Offline

deltahat

I saw chunk errors like this once in testing when the server was lagging a lot. You can use worldedit to mark the chunk for regeneration. That should fix it.

Since bukkit does not implement chunk generation events, I had to rewrite the chunk contents on chunk load, which can occasionally glitch out.

4. Offline

rslink

Can this be restricted to a single world, or should you just: create a world on a different server explore, copy the world to your server (and not the plugin), and set up the world with a border?

5. Offline

ZachBora

Ok this is weird... I saw another "chunk error" and there was another monster spawner at the same level next to it, also missing the bedrock under it. Could the problem be related to mossy coble/cobble floor when it meets lv 1 ?

I've set the level removed to 59 if I remember correctly.

6. Offline

Mabobber

7. Offline

Plague

CB 670 - inactive

8. Offline

ZachBora

@deltahat it seems to still work except for water and lava which stay there and fall down... I'm using newer bukkit.

9. Offline

chubbz

Does this raise the skybox or decrease the mining area I'm confussed

10. Offline

ZachBora

It removes the X lowest blocks, then it moves all the top blocks down a few, then it replaces the bottom layer with bedrock and a "flag" block to make that chunk done.

I've found that this makes rare ore closer to surface. I personally started using to give me more height on a town while keeping the area looking good.

11. Offline

chubbz

what so it lowers the top layers

12. Offline

ZachBora

0 = sky, number = ground layer, X = bedrock

Before :
    X

After :
    X

The amount of layers lowered needs to be put in the config file. By default 0 layers change.

chubbz likes this.
  13. Offline

chubbz

ok
    i get it now thanks

14. Offline

deltahat

Higher Skies should be rewritten to take advantage of the new terrain generation hooks in bukkit. Any takers?

15. Offline

Aaron Mills

This is only dropping my spawn and a few neighboring chunks down. Anyone know why?

16. Offline

theiking

because its severally outdated?

17. Offline

Aaron Mills

True, however, it still works on another world I have generated. Just not this one.

18. Offline

Preath

Is there possible for someone to continue on this project and update it to Minecraft 1.0? Would be highly appreciated!

kash77130 likes this.
  19. Offline

CrysisChris

Nice Plugin, but can this plugin be used in reverse? instead of lowering the Layers is it possible to add Layers up to the sky, so you would get an all Underground World? I would love to start Building in a World like that. Wood wouldn't be a problem, if you start with saplings. Could be used as an Scenario where the World is so harsh on the ground that you can only Build in the underground.

Would love to hear your answer.