[INACTIVE][MECH] TorchBurn v1.2 - Carry torches rather than placing them [556,565]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Ryan Carretta, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Offline

Ryan Carretta

Yes, understood. The problem is that I can't maintain the durability of the torch once it's been placed. So, you would be able to place a torch, break it, and pick it up at full durability. This is something I specifically wanted to avoid.

2. Offline

smartaleq

It seems that most the feedback tends towards not being too protective of burn duration. How about when you place a torch while one is burning, it succeeds in placing the torch and you still carry the current torch with its durability?

3. Offline

Ryan Carretta

This is a fair amount of work for very, very little incremental benefit. If I can easily construct and throw an event to bukkit based on this I will consider it. I certainly wouldn't count too heavily on it, though. ;)

4. Offline

goldseed

Goooooooooooooood job!!!!

5. Offline

muCkk

great idea. gonna try it out :)!

6. Offline

Monkah

Could you make it so we need a flint n steel to light a torch?

7. Offline

Ryan Carretta

How would this 'feel'? Which item would you have out, for example? Could you give me an example of the use-path for this proposal?

8. Offline

anon

Sorry to mention the forbiden word, but could you add permission suport for this? I have a rp server, so I would like to only miners to have access to this.

9. Offline

ssechaud

Any chance this could be made to use shift as a modifier so as to not interrupt normal use of torches? So pressing shift and right click would start it or something like that?

10. Offline

Kainzo

Is it possible to have a permission system based on this? Would love to grant this to staff / builds but not basic whitelisted players.

11. Offline

Monkah

Just a command possibly? /lighttorch?

12. Offline

Ryan Carretta

I have no intention of ever supporting the permissions plugin.

I will consider adding an op-only setting to allow this to work with opped players only.
    --- merged: Mar 3, 2011 9:45 PM ---
    This is actually a fantastic idea. I will definitely look into implementing this.

13. Offline

Kainzo

Thanks for the source :) Really neat plugin

14. Offline

anon

[​IMG]

15. Offline

Ryan Carretta

Sorry. :( I don't like the idea of adding complex permissions in for a plugin with such simple functionality.

You're welcome, hope you find it useful. I'm always wary about releasing source...it makes me feel naked and open to criticism. :p

16. Offline

Kainzo

Is there a configurable setting to make the torch last forever?

17. Offline

Ryan Carretta

18. Offline

SweetCraft Girl

A recommend build is what you should be on before complaining of functionality. I can place torches without any issue at any time - even if i give myself a 'stack' light one, toss it, then place one - it stays....478, eh?

This works with [493] - A timer function is necessary or else this is rather hard on the people since it burns through torches like a hot knife through butter.

1 min is far from reasonable. 3-5 is more respectable.

How do we set it to '0' so it doesn't burn? Do i need to open the Jar or something?

19. Offline

Ryan Carretta

Nono, you shouldn't need to open the jar, though I suppose you could if you wanted to compile it yourself. The functionality isn't there quite yet. I'll try to get that out this weekend. I felt that 1min was a reasonable default as I don't think torches are very hard to come by, but (obviously) others don't feel that way.

SweetCraft Girl likes this.
  20. Offline

Triton74

It's Awesome! [​IMG]
    Are you planning permission?

21. Offline

Kainzo

He said no - but since he released source you can always mod it for your needs but not release it and give thanks :p

22. Offline

Ryan Carretta

I may reevaluate my stance on this. Somebody in IRC made a compelling case for it, sadly. :(

23. Offline

Kainzo

Well, ultimately its the way to go - I have a mod'd plugin to allow for a basic permission set - to just allow VIP's to use.

24. Offline

Ryan Carretta

Having access control is the way to go, agreed. Relying on another plugin to do it is what I don't like. In an ideal world Bukkit will support this natively and I would be more than excited to implement it. I don't like asserting that a server admin has to have "Permissions" in order to use the access control functionality native to the plugin. That is all.

25. Offline

Kainzo

We've been waiting for bukkit perms for 2+ months, it wont happen.

26. Offline

Shasharala

This is great! Though, I notice if one lights the torch underwater it can create permanent daylight in that area...

If a block or torch is somehow placed in it, it reverts, but it's quite annoying...
    Somewhat hard to not let anyone use torches underwater.

*EDIT: Also, I've noticed that it can cause considerable lag when multiple people are using it in close proximity to each other, it can sometimes plain not work, or go out if another player enters your torches radius with his torch burning causing both players torches to go dark for a few steps, sometimes if a torch is placed by someone else while the my torch is burning, if I walk away their torch will emit no light and in fact emit darkness, and lastly, sometimes a torch cannot be placed within the radius of someone who has a lit torch. It just disappears and gets used.

Basically, the mod is fine alone, but with multiple people it gets quite buggy...

27. Offline

Infernus

It works great though it lags while you use it in a minecart. Nice job!

28. Offline

Miauw62

Could you add permissions support?
    like this:

torchburn.light allows the player to light held torches
    torchburn.ignite allows the player to put mobs on fire using a burning torch.

29. Offline

pizzaboy

I found an exploit. Light a torch and open your inventory. Select any item, such as a pick, and put it in your torch slot. Move the torches into a non-hot bar slot. Now you can walk around with infinite light, without consuming torches, as long as you don't scroll your hot bar.

30. You failed to mantion that whatever you put in the torches original slot gets consumed as soon as you DO scroll your hot bar ........ goodbye diamond pickaxe !
    As exploits go though, this works as advertised by @pizzaboy, so those wanting an ever-lasting torch ....... go for it !

If I can ask a question of the plugin author, earlier, it was mentioned about the possibility of changing the activation of the torch - too many of my users have complained about not being able to plant torches on blocks, this is because they've missed the block on the first swipe & activated a hand-held torch by mistake. I've had to take off my server for now ..... any chance of adding perhaps a shift+mousebutton or Ctrl+mousebutton please or anything other than just the mouse-click ?