I'm not getting many players.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by JacobYarbrough, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

x0pk1n

Or a dev to do a proper website.

EDIT: also a domain name

Milkywayz and tanveergt5 like this.
  2. Offline

tanveergt5

I looked back at the first post and realised

The website, and server name have two completely different names.
    for example I could own a server called "mc.hungergames.com:12345" but my website would be "creatvecraft.enjin.com" it just makes no sense what so ever, you are confusing your players and yourself.

Wordpress and phpBB are two great open source scripts you could use, just get a matching theme.

3. Offline

x0pk1n

Yeah the server ip is from the hosting company he uses. Thats how i found the price :p and why he uses a non 25565 port.

4. Offline

owenftw

Awhh, Why people be hating on enjin. It's ideal for me.. I have no idea where to even begin making a website lol.. Well I know how to set up the domain but that's it xD

5. Offline

x0pk1n

owenftw

Ideal != (not equal for non java programmers :p) good!

6. Offline

RingOfStorms

Lots of people don't like Enjin for how bad it can be, but at the same time there are some very successful servers out there that use it. So obviously it isn't Enjin, but the people who use it wrongly and don't know how to make something good looking out of it. And if you simply don't like the layout, doesn't mean everyone else should hate it with you, that's your opinion.

Having the easy to use website like Enjin is a double edged sword, just like how Bukkit is so easy to use. You get a crap ton of unprofessional sites/servers because the unprofessional people can understand it so easily. But it doesn't make the providing platform bad, only better because they've done such a good job at making their platforms stupid proof.

fussionzz97 likes this.
  7. Offline

fussionzz97

Exactly.
    I've seen some nice looking enjin sites like this one here: http://www.lostcraft.net/ You basically have to keep it clean get rid of the ugly modules, colors, effects and make it as simple looking yet nice as you can.

8. Offline

kin37ik

besides everyone talking about enjine, i can offer some advice, some would say it's basics that "everyone should know if you are running a server", some dont so ill add my 2 cents (non-offensive or crude manner either, just putting this out there as this has worked for me on occasion and can yield good results)

1: forget about having staff members in the beginning, only admin should be yourself from the start, theres alot of plugins that can do the work for you while you are away, if it grows, then add moderators and trusted people as OP's, as long as they dont have a superiority complex and are fair and just in making decisions, i sometimes go by at least 10 to 12 people to 1 admin

2: play it normally in survival with your players as well, because then you are showing you are willing to play at their level and they will enjoy it more, only go into creative to resolve problems like griefers, or chunk loading problems for example or something else severe like plugins messing up.

3: a domain name is a MUST if you want to attract players, players/people simply will not remember entire IP's addresses off by heart especially if they play more than 1 server.

4: along with a domain you should have an informative website, dont use pre-built templates, stand out from the crowd, place yourself in their shoes and ask the question "why should i/they play my server?? whats unique and fun about it? is the website easy to use?? ect ect", if you can answer those questions effectively and have players comming back, you have a starting recipe to get somewhere

5: and i cant stress this enough, dont jump onto players backs about rules and such or threaten to ban alot ect, it drives people away

6: mini-games, bomberman was a good one back when it was 1.2.5.

7: and the most important i cant stress this enough, ALWAYS backup your world data, because if that drive/server of yours goes down, you're gonna have a baaaaad time.

ohh and uhh, a couple of these may not apply to certain situations, i wrote it this way as i run my Bukkit server on my own Dedicated server hardware on cable/fibre internet and had to learn ways in which certain things had to go, might be totally different if you say rent a server or otherwise which is cool either way :) probably wont but hopefully it helps someone out there one day, cheers.

TheTrixsta likes this.
  9. Offline

x0pk1n

Enjin still has a style to it, you can even see from this nice website in the comment below your the Enjin style. Even though the backrounds and colours are diffirent you can clearly see the style used, something i don't think is appealing. There are alot better drag and drop with more capability than this out there. Enjin still suggests a level of couldn't be bothered to me. Personal opinion and some others here agree and others don't. But lets not talk about the stupidly expensive it can be for some basic services/functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.