i do not have access privileges? i own the computer

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by rad12345678901, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rad12345678901

so i am admin, im the only account and it still says i do not have appropriate access privileges when i try to start up the server...
    1. What OS are you using (Brand and version - Ex. Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 x64)?
    mac book pro 10.6.8
    2. What architecture is the OS you are running (x64 or x86)?
    i dont understand what this is or how to check it
    3. What version and architecture is your java install? (Type: java -version in command prompt.)
    If you run any GNU/Linux, run this command to get all 3:
    the version is 1.6.0

4. Are you running any wrappers? McMyAdmin, mcadmin, Hamachi, etc?
    no
    5. What build of CraftBukkit are you running? (do NOT say latest. Say the build number.)
    The build number is displayed in the top of the server.log.
    thats the really odd thing, i went to get craft bukkit and i will show the instructions below, but there isnt anything about downloading CraftBukkit, it just asks me to make a folder called craft bukkit and then follow what else it says. i will put the instructions im trying to follow below
    Now that you've given us all the basics, now we get into the more advanced stuff. Note, if you haven't answered 1-5 yet, answering 6-10 will be almost pointless.

6. What command are you using to run your CraftBukkit server?
    you mean like the command file? this
    file://localhost/Users/cameronhill/Documents/cameronhill/Games/Minecraft%20Folder/Tekkit%20Hunger%20Games/Server/CraftBukkit/start_server.command
    7. What plugins are you running?
    none im just trying to get it all set up
    8. What error are you getting (post your server.log file - pastebin.com or pastie.org please)?
    The file “start_server.command” could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges.
    9. What have you tried already?
    doing what the instructions say, i cant program and if the intructions dont work a lot of the times i have no idea how to problem solve it other than looking up the problem and posting on the forums
    10. Have you tried any of the things below?

now that thats done, here are the instructions im trying to follow.

Mac OS X

1. Install Java
      Since OS X 10.7 Java does not come packaged with OS X. You will need to install java from the Apple's website http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421
    2. Obtaining the Server Files
      To run a server you will need the server jars, i.e. the server files. We will need a place to put the files.
      1. Create a New Folder
        Open up finder, and create a new folder in your Home folder named CraftBukkit
      2. Download the File
        Download the server files. You can download the latest builds from the front page of the wiki.
        Note: Download the stable build if you are not chasing the cutting edge in the development build
      3. Move the File
        Move the file from the Downloads folder to the CraftBukkit folder you created.
    3. Obtaining startup script
      To easily start the server you will need a startup script. The following is a basic server script to start your server.
      1. Open up TextEdit set it to plan text mode under format and paste the following in
        #!/bin/bash
        cd "$( dirname "$0" )"
        java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar -o true
      2. Save the file
        Save it in your CraftBukkit folder as start_server.command
      3. Allow the script to run
        1. Open up Terminal.app
        2. Type into Terminal.app
          chmod a+x
          [​IMG] Warning: Do not hit return
        3. drag the start_server.command into Terminal.app
        4. hit return
    4. Starting the server
      From this point on you can start the server by double-clicking start_server.command.
      You will need to run the server once for it to generate some configuration files.
      [​IMG] Warning:
      To stop the server, do not close the terminal/command prompt window. Instead, type 'stop' into the console. Closing the terminal window without stopping the server could lead to corruption of the save files.

thank you, please post a reply about what to do

2. Offline

afistofirony

Right click start_server.command, click Get Info, look at the Sharing and Permissions section at the very bottom and make sure you have Read & Write permissions.

3. Offline

rad12345678901

yes, that was one of the first things i tried.

4. Offline

turqmelon

If all fails, sudo is the way to go. ^^

5. Offline

hawkfalcon

chmod +x <drag file here>
    EDIT:
    Its even says here:

6. Offline

rad12345678901

yes, if thats what your asking i dragged it into the terminal,
    whats sudo?

and also does anyone have an answere or something to say about the fact that in the whole process of getting bukkit running it didnt tell me to download a version?

7. Offline

lol768

I'm confused as to what you mean by "it didn't tell me to download a version". The instructions tell you to download CraftBukkit: http://marker.to/vFhg07

8. Offline

rad12345678901

oh i see thats what it means when it said download the file, derp. il try

hmm il tell you exactely what i did this time, please tell me what im doing wrong...

i downloaded craftbukkit.jar and Tekkit_server_3 (woops its tekkit maybe i should have said that)
    then i dragged them both into another folder i made called craftbukkit... i opened text edit and pasted

#!/bin/bash
    cd "$( dirname "$0" )"
    java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar -o true

into it then i named it .command.rtf then deleted the rtf (it wouldnt let me make it .command for the same reason, for some reason.) then i opened up the terminal typed chmod a+x and dragged the text edit folder into it making it the start command, then i did something different from last time, i went inside the server folder and opened the .jar starting the process...
    but for some reason unlike previous servers ive made( all lan) it didnt open up a command window, also the .command file still gives me the same error.

umm how about this, i have the latest version of bukkit and craftbukkit, plus tekkit server downloaded, can somone please direct me to a tutorial or how to put those together nicely

(for macintosh)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  9. Offline

devilquak

It looks like he's using Tekkit and a Hunger Games plugin... right? That's a plugin and a huge mod, FYI.

Now try this. I have a Mac too, so this is what I do.

1.) Make a new folder on your desktop, call it "Server"

2.) Download the newest version of CraftBukkit from http://dl.bukkit.org/ and place it in the folder, rename the file to just "craftbukkit.jar"

3.) Open Terminal, and type the following, without the a,b,c lettering obviously:
    a.) cd Desktop
    b.) cd Server
    c.) java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

4.) The server should start generating itself and starting up now. To see if it works, open Minecraft, go to a new server, and just type in "localhost".

This should work for you, it should work for any Mac really.

10. Offline

rad12345678901

ok, now i understand a bit more, i dont know where plugins would fit into this, but imm wondering about having a tekkit server with plugins, thanks for that though, it worked

true, im looking for this setup so far,

tekkit with these plugins
    hunger games, storm,tekkit customiser, multiverse, fiery inferno, and instawear..
    could all that fit into one server?

actually could somone post a zipped file of a tekkit bukkit folder? a server ready for plugins? that way this whole thing could be avoided

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  11. Offline

lol768

It will auto-generate the plugins folder when you run:
    java -jar tekkit.jar

Then simply copy the plugin jar files into the plugins/ directory

12. Offline

rad12345678901

... well i downloaded the latest tekkit server, it was a folder and only one of the things were tekkit, but there was no plugins folder, i checked for that, and when ever i ran it with terminal it had a crap ton of warnings and severe errors, it said random things like couldnt open file, and, could not find nether ores, and stuff like that, i replaced the mods out of my own tekkit to be sure but stuff happened again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.