huge lag difference between linux and Win server 2008

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by greatman, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

greatman

Hey guys,

I just switched my server to Windows server 2008 R2 and I am getting huge lag spikes on my Minecraft server (I even added some java garbage lines to help but it didin't help at all). Using /debug clock of CommandBook gives a Time elapsed of over 20k sometimes! While I was on linux, I was using no java garbage collector lines and the /debug clock gives a Time elapsed of 5k. Anybody would know why?

My server:
    Intel i5 2300 @2.80GHZ (4 cores)
    16 go ram
    The MC server is on a 8go ramdisk (Both Windows and Linux)

2. Offline

Lunar Delta

Interesting. I run my server on Windows 7 Ultimate (64) and my debug score is always flawless, even with a full load.

3. Offline

rmb938

My question is why did you switch to windows when linux was working perfectly for you?

Anyway It could be different java versions, make sure you are running 1.7 x64-bit. Make sure nothing else is running in the background that could take up cpu/ram.

4. Offline

greatman

Switched due that I wanted a terraria server and they don't do any clients for linux but still, I got a basic install of win server and it's almost 4x laggier than linux.

5. Offline

draeath

1: make sure you are using the Sun/Oracle JRE, not OpenJDK. Not that it matters really, but if you want to compare Linux to Windows performance make sure this is consistent
    2: on both platforms, make sure you are running with the same "VM" - pass the "-server" argument to the VM when you launch it. Since you can't force it the other way (eg 'client' mode) you should force it the other. Again this is to help make the comparison meaningful.

See my other post for some goodies that -might- be helpful as well.

6. Offline

greatman

Both were using Java but on my windows server I grabbed Java 7. Ill try with Java6 is there's any differences

7. Offline

OrtwinS

My server runs at WinServer as well, got the lagspikes as well (since RB1k).

I will use this as another argument to switch host...

8. Offline

Rwembee

What are your java command line options?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.