How to Install Bukkit (Newb-Friendly!)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by TheArcher, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ichingpow

Did you set your IP in the properties file? You shouldn't have...

2. Offline

captainawesome7

It is alot easier to just download this if you are on a mac...
    The download you provide is bare-bones, it isn't that hard to just make it an application with Xcode.
    I know that this is supposed to be easy to use but isn't pressing a button easier?
    On another note, if this is for mac, why not make an applescript that does the same thing but with a GUI, as in window popups that ask for information, like ram amount, and stuff, and you would be able to specify the install location, not make a directory and force the user to use it. I'm just saying that if it is supposed to help people that are newbs, why isn't it easier to use (or at least pleasing to the eye?)

3. Offline

Thomas Fletcher

Okay, so I got this working.
    You need to have the world and all other server files in the same place as the craftbukkit starter.

However, is there anyway to use bukkit/craftbukkit with the default minecraft GUI in Windows?

4. Offline

TheArcher

The guide and setups have been updated!

5. Offline

captainawesome7

can someone please rename this to craftbukkit

6. Offline

Sefragus129

Its sti
    ITS STILL OUTDATED GAA!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  7. Offline

TheArcher

You did not need to quote my entire thread just to reply. Which part of it is outdated?

8. Offline

Mannan

Hey. I just wanted to ask.

My current server (regular server without mods) runs via Hamachi. How do I make the server workable with mods (but you still have to connect via Hamachi)?

9. Offline

Andre_9796

Run a craftbukkit server and put hamachi ip in server.properties at ip=

10. Offline

Mannan

So I just run the .msi setup file provided, go to the folder where I installed it, and there server.properties file will be there? And then after I change the ip, I can run the server without any problems?

11. Offline

Andre_9796

Yes.

12. Offline

Mannan

Ok, thanks. I'll try it now.

Ok, great it works!

Just one problem. When I started the world, I wasn't able to destroy blocks. But once I made myself an OP, I could. Does this mean that whoever else joins the server and isn't OP can't destroy blocks? Any fix for this? :(.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  13. Offline

Andre_9796

no, change the spawn protection in server.properties to 0 (zero).

14. Offline

Golgor

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for this great help you provide us !

Here's the story.
    I downloaded for the first time your Bukkit installer last monday. I added worldedit and craftbook plugins, ran the server and everything worked perfectly fine until yesterday when I updated Minecraft without thinking of the server (I'm a dumbass, I know^^). But the problem is that I don't see the connection between the errors I get and this update as far as I did NOT downloaded the latest version of minecraft_server.jar in the first place. So, this is what happens when I launch "LaunchServer.command" :
    (By the way, I'm using Mac OS X updated)

I'm pretty busy this weekend so I don't have the courage to go through this problem and solve it by my self...
    One more precision : I'm french so please excuse me for language mistakes I probably did (and will do !).
    Don't hesitate to ask me for more informations if you need them to solve this mess ;-)

One thing which could probably be use full : the list of files in the Bukkit server directory.

Thanks for your answer

Golgor

15. Offline

captainawesome7

@Golgor I'm pretty sure your plugins aren't up to date...

16. Offline

Golgor

Means I have to download last released ? Because I actually figured out that the program asked me "Is it up to date ?", but I didn't thought the minecraft update would have change anything, since there was only new features added and no new save format or whatever...
    It seems like there is no update for those plugins for now, so I'll wait until this is no longer true :p

Thank you for answering me anyway :)

Golgor

17. Offline

Oniisama

With bukkit 1.4 how do you alot more ram for the server to use?

thappy001 likes this.
  18. Offline

Golgor

For Windows :
    Is it the answer you were expecting ?

19. Offline

OmbreNoir

Hi,
    I have a problem, when I have a guest he join the server and try to talk I have this:

and the server freeze .... 

20. Offline

Oniisama

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    PAUSE
    This is what I have at the moment. If I change the Xmx1g everything goes awry, and I get the "not enough space for object heap" error . Can I substitute the old lines for ram in the 1.4 batch file?

21. Offline

Golgor

Try to replace "1G" in "-Xmx1G" by the amount of ram you want to allocate to your server in MEGA bytes followed by the letter "M" (caps). I think the "G" means giga, that's why I'm telling you that. May be I'm wrong. But give it a try ^^

22. Offline

Oniisama

Ok so I tried changing it to megs and everything under 1 gig works but anything over whether it be in Gigs or Megs causes the error during initialization of VM, where it says
    -could not reserve enough spacr for object heap
    -could not create java vm

I also tried with a fresh install with no plugins etc and got the same thing. :/

Feeling like it's probably something horribly obvious and suffering user error.

23. Offline

Golgor

Could you please post the content of your CraftBukkit Starter ? Just to be sure I understood what you wrote ^^
    By the way, don't forget that you have to specify the amount of ram through number like "512", "1024", "2048" ... (multiples of 2).

24. Offline

Oniisama

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    PAUSE
    This is the current .bat file. And yes I did put the ram in correctly. What I meant was that putting 512M works fine and so does 1024M and 1G. Anything above that in multiples of 2 whether it be Megs or gigs gives me the error.

I figure it just hates me at this point XD

25. Offline

AceDaCase

I can't seem to find any of the folders usually generated by a minecraft server creation (server, playerlist any of that). I followed the directions for installation, and the server is up and running, but I want to edit the basic properties. Any help would be appreciated.

Btw I'm running on windows 7.

26. Offline

colorhacker

Same here

27. Offline

Sunlis

Can someone explain to me why the Mac Update Server script deletes minecraft_server.jar? If the script was intended to download the latest server jar from mc.net as well, that wasn't included. ;)

Attached is an edited version of the original .command as well as an edited update .command that downloads the latest minecraft_server.jar after grabbing the latest bukkit snapshot.

EDIT: Updated it even farther. The setup script will check for a successful download of CraftBukkit, and the update script checks for a successful download of both CraftBukkit and minecraft_server. In other words, if it can't download bukkit or the mc server successfully, it will keep your current files rather than deleting them.

Attached Files:

28. Offline

TheArcher

If it were multiples of two, that would mean you could enter 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.. RAM can be put in as long as it is a multiple of 256 (512, 1024, 1536, etc.).

Perhaps you shouldn't skip through the setup so fast that you can't see that there is an option to select where you want it installed.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

29. Offline

minecraft124_

I'm having trouble using craftbukkit. I followed the instructions and it worked but when i try to open LaunchServer.command i get: "Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx[512]M
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.". I'm running on a mac OS 10.6.7. how do i fix this?

30. Offline

PsycoSkillz

I need some help, I downloaded it and when I double click the "Latest CraftBukkit Downlaod" my web browser says the link is broken so I dunno what to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.