How to add subcommands ?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Hannobal, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Hannobal

Hello everyone,

I am programming a new plugin and I want to add some commands + subcommands. I already searched very much for this in YouTube and this Forum, but no solution.

For example: One command should be easily "/pg", this should return me a help message (for example) and now I want to add the subcommand (or argument, I don't know) "list" and it should show me a full list of players (for example). So the full command is "/pg list" or maybe "/pg info" or something like that.

The question is how can I add one or more subcommands (like "list" or "info") ?

Can you give me the Java Code please?

I think the solution is so easy that it is too difficult for me -_-

Thanks for your help,
    Greetings Hannobal

2. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

I literally just learned how this was the other day. It's still a little confusing to me, so I hope I don't confuse you in the process of me helping you.

Ok, so to make the command base you do the basic onCommand:
    PHP:
    public boolean onCommand(CommandSender senderCommand cmdString labelString[] args){
    Player s = (Player)sender;
    if(
    cmd.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("yourcommand")){
    Now if you wanted to make a command like: /houses add player:
    PHP:
    public boolean onCommand(CommandSender senderCommand cmdString labelString[] args){
    Player s = (Player)sender// defines player sender as s
    if(cmd.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("houses")){ // command label
    if (instanceof Player){ // instance of player - checks if player
    if (args.length == || args.length 2){ // checks if /houses was typed or /houses add ONLY

s.sendMessage("Incorrect usage"); // This means the player didn't have enough args
    if (args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("add") || args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("remove")){ // checks if /houses ADD was typed or /houses REMOVE
    if (args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("add") && args.length == 2){ // if it was indeed add
                                    //code to add player to house whether it be tp or kill etc

if (args[0].equalsIgnoreCase("remove") && args.length == 2){ // if it wasnt add and it was remove
                                      //code to remove player from houses or whatever
    I'd reccomend learning about args.length in some java tuts

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
    Hannobal likes this.
  3. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

4. Offline

EnvisionRed

Well thanks. I was wondering why you did that

5. Offline

Hannobal

Cool thanks Zeus ! :)

So I unterstand your code in this way:
    The command base "houses" isn't a part from the args, it is simply seperate. The first part of the args is the subcommand "add" or "remove".

Am I right? :)

This code helps me very much, Thanks again :D

6. Offline

lololmaker

Yes,
    the base command (etc. /compare) is not in args, everything after that (etc. /compare one two) is in args[] --starting with args[0]

7. Offline

Hannobal

8. Offline

Tempelchat

I use the CommandExecutor because I like the fact that I can organize all command related things in an own class.

9. Offline

Hannobal

Yes but like I unterstand this the CommandExecuter is only useful if you have more than one base command like "/houses" or "/compare", right?

10. Offline

Tempelchat

If your command handling is very complex, it could be clearer than having all the handling in your plugin-class. Additionally you can do multiple base-commands in separate CommandExecutors or handle all in one executor - doesn't matter. I think it depends on you preference.

11. Offline

lololmaker

A tip, if you use only one command, you can skip checking which command was it, save about a line of code :D
    For example, game plugin I'm currently working on is AholaGames (Ahola prefix is for all plugins, from server name). It uses one registered generic command /ag and everything else is in arguments. For example /ag start /ag stop. This is good mainly for the fact that it's almost impossible that it would ever conflict with other plugins.

12. Offline

Hannobal

Okay, thanks you all very much again :)

Greetings Hannobal

13. Offline

I just made a new commit for one possible use of giving each subcommand it's own commandExecutor.

14. Offline

Hannobal

Okay and where I can follow / see this commit?

15. Offline

16. Offline

Hannobal

Ahh, sorry my fail^^
    I thought you did it in bukkit repository, not in yours :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.