How many players can i hold?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by KrazyBonez, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

KrazyBonez

any ideas how many players i could host with these specs? i honestly have no idea.

Download Speed: 25.40mbps
    Upload Speed: 3.74mbps

Windows 7 64-bit
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 quad-core processor 2.80GHz
    Memory: 8GB
    Memory Allocated to server: 2560M via RemoteToolKit plugin.

2. Offline

shaan

you can hold 10 players with not much lag at one time. normally, 1gb ram per 2 ppl is usual (on a fairly large map), and any upload speed above 2mb/s is fine for 5-10 players, from experience.

3. Offline

bassfader

Woot? I have a 2GB Server and running with 10 players with no problems... (5 Maps Multi-World of which 2 Worlds are frequently used by the players)

Also having about 20 plugins installed.

4. Offline

Alzurana

My server specs are these:
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 @4GHz
    2GB RAM dedicated to MC
    I figured that you should be able to host 20 or even more players.
    this also depends on your plugins.
    the real problem there is your bandwidth
    1GB ram per 2 players is bogus, 20 players drain 1.8GB 'o' ram on my system and java won't make such differences between the operating systems.

5. Offline

Towedwart

It's mostly about RAM and upload speed. 8GB of memory can support upwards of 50 players, but your upload speed is pretty low, so that limits you to about 10 players + yourself.

Not sure how accurate it is, but there's http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ to try to figure out what you're capable of running.

6. Offline

sintri

gig for two is a bit high on average. Ideally based on chunk sending speeds I'd say 2 excluding yourself, course you won't notice all too much if a chunk doesn't get sent as fast as possible. You'll start noticing lag when your upload fills up, generally 8+kB/s per player plus any loading + background bandwidth usage. Course that's also assuming your ISP isn't just throttling your bandwidth tests. Seems like the same speed Cox offers around here.

7. Offline

DaClowns

I have Windows Vista 64 bit
    and 6 GB RAM, 5GB towards the server.

The most I have ever had on my server at one time online was like 13, and while I had itunes open, and I was playing minecraft, I had no lag and neither did they. With 8 GB RAM, I think you could do a good 30+

8. Offline

harrisonduell

I have assigned 1.5GB of ram to my server and have virgin media internet, do you know how i get its upload and download speeds?

9. Offline

Simanova

8-10 players --> Upload Speed: 3.74mbps
    if you use CraftProxy you can go for 20+

The other specs wont bottleneck

I got 0.46mbps and my server is designed for 5 with craftproxy and high traffic compression level

10. Offline

strontkever

i have 1mb upload and i hold 16 player with no/slight lagg

canihostaminecraftserver.com is total bs

speedtest.nl is what i use

btw, since 1.7.3 it seems when loading map it doesnt load it all at once, but in steps so it doesnt eat up all upload speed.. what i noticed

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  11. Offline

Leon Philips

did you mean Speedtest.net? ,haha I'm dutch too :p (not inportaint actualy xD)

P.S.
    Does anyone know how to increase your Upload speed? That's always good :D

12. Offline

strontkever

buy a better connection :)

13. Offline

TheMadMan697

i think you could get at least 15 on there without lag. depending on how much the players move around i guess.

14. Offline

Jombi

I have a 2Gb server, and I run 15 players every night with no lag. Similar specs, not that good of a DL speed, but close. We only have a dual core 2.6.

Not sure why people are telling you 2 players per Gb...

You should probably allocate 3-4 Gb to the server rather than a few Megs.

15. Offline

andrewkm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.