How do YOU run your server?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Spl1tz, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Orcworm

Griefing is a joke if you take ten minutes to setup MySQL and install LogBlock / BigBrother, they're only wasting their own time when you can reverse the damage in seconds.

Of course, there are a lot of server admins out there who don't have a clue what they're doing so I guess that's why griefing is so 'popular'.

Windows_i7_920 likes this.
  2. Offline

Windows_i7_920

I have my server set up such that everything is logged, and I can easily tell exactly who griefed using BigBrother. I hate whitelists because they often add a lot of waiting time for players which puts off many people to joining a server. It's been working quite well, as even though it does get occasional griefers, they don't last long and neither does their damage. Additionally, lava buckets, TNT, and flint & steel can't be used by guests. Minecraft is fine the way it is mostly. I'd really rather not outright nerf anything (i.e. block TNT and creeper explosions). Well, I did nerf shroom spread but that was because it made things way too easy food-wise.

Agreed 100%. I really wish more server admins would realize this. A logging and rollback system really is the way to go IMO. Protection plugins create a lot of hassle and confusion for many players that can be eliminated by handling anti-griefing via BigBrother or similar plugin. Its funny because it takes the griefer far more work to grief than it takes for an admin/mod to undo it :p.
    EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  3. Offline

TheMadMan697

- hawkeye
    - factions/residence/towny.
    - no whitelist
    - people stay on default rank for weeks/months then they are ranked to trusted.
    - no everyone has access to all worlds
    - worldguard blocks tnt and creeper explosions
    - moderators can check teh hawkeye logs but only admins can perform rollbacks.

4. Offline

jasvecht

I feel they are profiting of an open source system by offering something that costs them fairly little in terms of time compared to some other major plugins or the Bukkit Project itself.

Furthermore, MCBans appeal system is in my opinion less then ideal and I almost puke at the idea someone else would be the one telling people they can't join my server.

I am not going to write a full review of it, it's certainly not worth my time as it would bring me pretty much nothing.

I use MultiBan for now, mainly because I enjoy the fact I get a "This user got banned for:" message and then the option to investigate them myself or ban them from the server, I enjoy the freedom it gives me.

Oh, and MCBans isn't targeted by groups of grievers because it works so well, they probably have some personal fued going on :p

5. Offline

RogerWilco

I'm running a server that's only known to a small group.

If a griefer would find it, I can roll back any changes he made.

I have some simple plugins installed to keep the stupid people at bay, but the really smart griefers can get around most things, unless you really load up the server with plugins. For those I think it's easier just to be able to roll back any changes they made.

Only telling trusted people the address to your server is my primary strategy, even though they can't do any permanent damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.