How can i learn? plz help

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Jakebobjo, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Jakebobjo

I want to learn to program plugins for bukkit and i kinda know some java im sure i need to learn more because i only remember how to do hello world lolz but if any one can link a java tutorial they used and a tut on plugin making or like somthing like that plz it would help

thanks in advance - Jake

2. Offline

Mixcoatl

3. Offline

Shade

A key plus for programming in general is having good grammar and punctuation. Spelling is also good to know for variable names.
    /annoyance

4. Offline

Jakebobjo

Ha its a forum not prgraming tho so i dont need to talk normal and any ways im only 14 so im not tht great at spelling :D

5. Offline

Huey

I myself am 14, but I do not use 'Being on a forum' as an excuse for bad grammar. Also, do not think it is impossible to write a plugin at your age, because I am currently doing that and I am surprisingly good lol. Just keep those things in mind.

6. Offline

Jakebobjo

Do you have any tips I can use then? Maby a tut i can view or somrthing like that. I would like it so much if you can give me some pages to look at.

Thanks in advance ~ Jake

7. Offline

Huey

Look at the sample plugin in dinnerbones git repository (This gave me most of the commands I needed to create the basic functionality for my plugin). The rest is easy. And if you only know how to do a hello worlds, I would look at some more java tutorials.

8. Offline

Jakebobjo

I know how to do hello world but that it i knew more but forgot also um is the new boston a good tut for java search on thenewboston.com or somthing i used him cause theres over 80 tuts and there videos lol but i will try to make plugin wait so i only need to know how to do hello world :confused:

9. Offline

Huey

Idk. You would have to look yourself, I currently dont have the time to do that.

10. Offline

8e8

Instead of the SamplePlugin have a look at ScrapBukkit instead. It's more up-to-date and you can use it as a template to build your first plugin off of it. I would, however, look at the SamplePlugin for learning how to register events, and setup listeners for those events, since scrap doesn't have that.

Once you know the basics about coding in Java I would recommend looking at the source for some of the current plugins that have already been released. Use a decompiler to review the source, but try not to copy pasta their code as it may cause frowns.

11. Offline

Jakebobjo

Yeah thx lol but i find it kinda hard to just learn by copying some 1s code and looking at it so is there like video tuts?

12. Offline

croxis

That is exactly how I learned to code. Taking existing code and fiddling with it to see what happens.

13. Offline

snpnx

I think you should start learning some more about Java. As someone wrote above, the official sites of Sun (or now Oracle) have good tutorials, try some of the stuff there so you get a better feeling for the language.

14. Offline

Jakebobjo

KK ill try thx

15. Offline

8e8

This.

It's a great way to start getting your hands dirty. Making small changes to someone's code can teach you what it does. When I'm trying to learn this is what I do. If I don't understand something I google it. I'm also pretty new to the java thing, the only prior experience I had with it was a simple hello world app back in highschool. I hated java until now.

16. Offline

Jakebobjo

So u only know Hello world lol to get started is that all i need cause i can make that just i want to know what java part si need to learn for the development of plugins

17. Offline

8e8

No. I said the only thing I knew prior to working with java & bukkit was hello world.

What you need to know depends on the caliber of the plugin you plan on developing. The most important thing you need to know about developing for bukkit is it's API. The API is the programming interface you're going to be using in order to build your plugins, so you will need to familiarize yourself with what it can do. The best way to do that is to view (or decompile a .jar) the source files of a plugin that someone has done and figure out how to utilize each function.

The major things you'll need to know are the plugin constructor and registering events/setting up listeners. If you want to get you hands dirty, as I said, the best way is to review the source of a plugin and modify it slightly. ScrapBukkit is a basic intro to developing plugins, and it will cover some of what I said. I don't think it has listeners anymore, but you can find those in the SamplePlugin.

There are always people on the IRC channel who are willing to help, and it would be better if you looked for help with specific things on there.

Links:
    https://github.com/Bukkit/ScrapBukkit Source files for the plugin
    https://github.com/Bukkit/SamplePlugin (no longer updated but still useful)
    http://javadoc.lukegb.com/Bukkit/ Javadoc for Bukkit, and ScrapBukkit

18. Offline

Jakebobjo

Well Notch's stupid minecraft.net host migration messed up my account :( now it wont let me log on and it says try offline mode i click then it will say user Not Premium when i try to join a server

19. Offline

8e8

That's because the server you're trying to join has online-mode enabled. It requires that you go through minecraft.net's authentication system in order to connect. It's being really wonky as of yesterday, just wait it out.

20. Offline

Jakebobjo

kk thanks

21. Offline

Daniel Heppner

I'm twelve and I use perfect spelling and grammar (for the most part; at least I try).
    If you want to learn this stuff, I would really recommend using correct grammar (it makes you look good :p).

Also, books are your friends when learning to code.

22. Offline

LukeZaz

23. Offline

Jakebobjo

Ill check it out thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.