Question How are 1.8 plugins being released without 1.8 bukkit?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Morbytogan, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Morbytogan

I am constantly seeing plugins saying that they are for MC version 1.8.1, but if I'm not mistaken, there is no 1.8 version of bukkit? If I am wrong and there's a 1.8 version, please link it below or explain why 1.8 plugins are released.

2. Offline

Boomer

cough cough spigot cough

Plus, not all plugins will break with 1.8, and can continue working just fine, or can be built against 1.7 bukkit apis just fine still

oceantheskatr likes this.
  3. Offline

oceantheskatr

As Boomer said, you're likely able to build against 1.7 api and it'll work, however if you were to try and use a 1.8 material then it flat out would't work. You'd need to build a copy of Spigot/"Craftbukkit" 1.8. I put Craftbukkit in quotes since Spigot is currently developing any 1.8+ versions of Craftbukkit.

Here's a video on how to get Spigot/"Craftbukkit" 1.8+

4. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

@Morbytogan Curse decided to ignore most guidelines that were enforced on dev.bukkit.org, so as a result a large number of the content posted there is either not an actual bukkit plugin, monetized content, or plain malicious. Run a virus scan on any item you downloaded from it as if you downloaded it from a random host website. Also, you can not download spigot or craftbukkit, despite what @oceantheskatr says, and so il recommend not following his video.

5. Offline

oceantheskatr

Can't and shouldn't are two very different things. One can physically download both Spigot and "Craftbukkit". The URL I posted provides legitimate links to Spigot threads that md_5 has made that allow you to build versions of 1.8 servers, so they are definitely not malicious.

While yes, you shouldn't build a copy, you technically can.[/user]

6. Offline

Necrodoom_V2

@oceantheskatr you could make the same argument for pirating software.

7. I don't see that. Of course you can and may run the BuildTools to patch the vanilla server in order to obtain a 1.8.x(Spigot) server for your own use.

For downloading plugins i'd always consider if it is open source and well established, and/or otherwise trustworthy enough to use/test, always take precautionary measures such as keeping backups. While some resource sites do check plugins, that's never what you should 100% rely on.

8. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.