Hostile Mobs Not Spawning As Expected In Build 1602

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by rtanderson2, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rtanderson2

I am not seeing hostile mobs spawn at night or in dark places as expected.

I have attempted to run with and without plugins (essentials, dynmap, worldedit, worldguard), and there is no change. I am not using any wrappers and my server.properties file has difficulty=1 (I've also tried with =2 and =3 with no change) and spawn-monsters=true. Running on Windows 7 Ultimate x86 with Java 1.6.0_29-b11.

I have attempted to run with the latest recommended build (1597) as well as the latest dev build (1602) with no change in the experience. When running a vanilla server hostile mobs spawn just fine.

EDIT 1: punctuation
    EDIT 2: I should note that monster spawners work exactly as expected.
    EDIT 3: Zombie Pigmen spawn in the Nether and agro just fine.
    EDIT 4: It also appears that creepers are broken. The explosion sound is never heard and they don't destroy blocks upon explosion. They do, however, damage players and nearby mobs.

2. Offline

zipron

3. Offline

rtanderson2

Yeah, I searched the forums and saw similar problems as well (although they were lacking some info it seemed). I'll look into spawnmob and see what the options are. It's more than a little frustrating that I need a plugin to do something that works in vanilla, but I'll survive for now. The interesting thing is that when I load the world with a vanilla server the hostile mobs spawn, then when I reload with Bukkit, they stay spawned, but once day comes, all the mobs burn up and never respawn the following night.

It doesn't appear that the spawnmob plugin allows you to adjust the mob spawn rate using that plugin...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  4. Offline

zipron

Hmm I was afraid for that.. I'm afraid that I cannot help you then, on my server mobs spawn normal with difficulty 2 =S Do you have any plugins wich reduce lagg and so reduce mobspawning?

zip

5. Offline

Craigdb

I have posted some info on another thread, I believe zipron made ref to... this issue seems to be more noticable on larger maps (but this is not confirmed), I'm trying to create some thread info so that maybe the collective group can find a solution. I have found, so far, that using the worldedit /butcher -a makes them suddenly spawn like crazy, but stops again really quickly. I think there is an unbalance in the spawn rates for day and night mobs in the bukkit coding as it seems vanilla is ok. In a minecraft day, my server will spawn around 200 friendlies (I can see this by the butcher report) and the first time I tried it I removed just over 800 of them. My current bukkit is 1645 or around there... gonna load the latest build (1696) when the server is empty, and plan to post any updated info as I get it. As I said, I'd appreciate anyone else doing the same so we can all get a solution for this.

Done some searching and testing. In follow up, the mob limit IS the issue, as day mobs are persistent and end up dominating the land. This however is not the solution, for me, what is the solution is 'NoLagg'... if your running this plugin, check the config file for 'Spawnlimit' and turn it off! If your not using NoLagg then look through your plugins for a simular feature. I have turned it off and had an enorous change in the continuation of hostiles, without needing to remove all the day mobs any more to achieve this. Before that I had to remove day mobs constantly to get hostiles. They are thick and fast and consistent now... BIG HAPPY FACES for me now :)
    I really hope this helps you guys as well... btw... the comment about creepers not destroying the landscape... that may also be a plugin feature... I have seen that on a friends server. It is designed not to affect the terrain.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but in the last 3-4 Game days, mobs have continued as you would normally expect so I'm very confident.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  6. Offline

Craigdb

Because of some false positives, I deliberately tested my most recent option for 3 days before posting a new comment... after 3 days still having hostiles thick and fast (my server is a dangerous place at night again).
    Who here has their view distance setting in server.properties set below 10? Mine was at 7. There is a bug (reported) in the game where the settings below 10 cause mobs that go outside that range to despawn, but the entity is not removed, hence a lack of respawning after a period. This is how I understand it anyway.
    I changed the view distance to 10 and like I said mobs are continuing to repsawn even after 3 days of uptime. None of the previous options I tried kept the spawn rate up for more than 24 hours.
    I'd like to know how many people who reported here have this settings below 10 to get an idea whether that is the common link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.