High CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ManBearWaffle, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ManBearWaffle

When I get about 19-20 people on my server, I get spammed with "can't keep up" errors and my CPU is at 90-100%. I've tried removing plugins and large water/lava masses and there wasn't much of an improvement.

mc.reviewsoftech.com
    Ubuntu 10.04 Server
    2GB RAM 4 vCPU Cores
    Linux mc.reviewsoftech.com 2.6.32-308-ec2 #16-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 15:25:39 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    java version "1.6.0_24"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

2. Offline

xeology

I have heard bad things about bigbrother being resource intensive, and also try without nocheat I cannot imagine that not causing issues with how much it needs to do.

3. Offline

ManBearWaffle

I removed NoCheat and right now there are 12 people online. My CPU usage is going between 36% and 96%. It stays around 50-60 most of the time though. It seems insanely high for the amount of players on.

I really hope that BigBrother isn't causing this. It's a must-have.

4. Offline

xeology

not really I use logblock and its awesome!

5. Offline

ManBearWaffle

LogBlock seems like a great alternative, but I've determined that plugins are not the cause. I just started my server without plugins. With about 1o-12 people online, the CPU is still giving the same readings. I'm guessing it's caused by lava/water. How can I fix this easily without remaking the world?

6. Offline

xeology

use worldedit and //drain them all that are causing issues.

7. Offline

ManBearWaffle

How do I know which are causing issues?

8. Offline

xeology

Large masses that are not naturally made. Though I doubt this is the issue because it usually just kciks the person.

9. Offline

ManBearWaffle

I removed as much stuff as possible, and its still about the same. What else can I do?

10. Offline

contex

What kind of specs does your server have?

11. Offline

ManBearWaffle

Xen, 2GB RAM, 4 vCores.

12. Offline

contex

Same as mine then, and I have about 30+ plugins running, BigBrother is indeed a resource taker but it shouldn't increase that much. Are you running Linux? If so what does "top" tell you? Is it java using all the cpu or mysql?

13. Offline

ManBearWaffle

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, java is using it all. I'm using openjdk instead of sunjava. Could that be an issue?

14. Offline

contex

I'm running sunjava on a centos distro and I have no problems like that, at least not with java. Other than what I've been through I don't know, sorry.

15. Offline

ManBearWaffle

I installed sun java and replaced openjdk, but I'm not sure if my CPU usage is normal now. Right now I only have 2 people online due to the downtime from installation and not being able to login because of minecraft.net. Anyway, my CPU usage is currently between 2 and 9%. Does that sound normal?

16. Offline

xeology

wow yeah that openjava crap has been reported to cause many issues, sorry just came back to this late.

17. Offline

woodzy

and big brother is crap it really is use logblock in stead

i have a VPS thro the people in the link below this post this is what i have
    ubuntu 10_04 64bit os
    java6 64bit
    and with a pik of 20 pplayers ill get about 80% cpu usage at 3GB ram used out of 4GB
    what im thinking the issue is is you just dont have the Ram to Be running a server that big
    2GB ram is like a 12-15 player server

you should try the following commands asumming ur on liunx
    apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mysq ( to make shure ur server is upto date)
    sudo apt-get install mysql-client
    sudo apt-get install jdk* (just to get the latest update of java)

18. Offline

ThomasJ

You could try running a Java 7 snapshot. Several large servers have reported to have lowered system loads with it and I've had no issues with it on my server.

http://download.java.net/jdk7/

19. Offline

stolen_insanity

I'm getting the same issue as this.
    Even with no plugins, my CPU is hitting 80% with only 3 people online.
    I'm running a 4GB Quad core.

Could you message me if you find a solution? Thanks

20. Offline

ManBearWaffle

I have 12 people online now and my CPU usage seems to be about the same as before. It's a little lower, but not a major improvement.
    [MERGETIME="1300066712"][/MERGETIME]
    Server just crashed with 19 people on it due to the CPU usage. Any ideas?

21. Offline

tremor

I can confirm also from #527 and #531 - a massive spike in my server's CPU Load and also causing massive in-game 'lag' like symptoms. A server which was handling 18 - 20 players like a dream a few bukkit versions ago, is now chugging hard at 7-10.

As i posted on another forum regarding CPU usage.. this is a recent occurrence and through all the testing that I could, almost certainly from my perspective, appears to be a change from #522 where I was running smooth.. 20 players wasnt even breaking a sweat at 40-50% now, 8-10 players is getting me to 80%-90% even with all plugins off.

22. Offline

ManBearWaffle

I had to decrease my server to 15 slots, when it was able to handle 20+ players fine before.

23. Offline

ThomasJ

Sounds like one of the exploit fixes is causing the raised CPU usage which happened around builds 520 - 530

24. Offline

tremor

I took a suggestion to update to Java 7 - It has helped to an extent.. i had 18 players at 80% usage with Java 6... the update took me to 60% with Java 7.... however, still getting console spammed with "Cant Keep Up..."

I will be updating to 531 ASAP to see if this resolves the problem. This was unfortunate timing for this to occur for me lol, I migrated my server to a new host with twice the RAM at the same time I went to 527. I thought it was the host - so I cancelled to get my money back, and migrated back to my host with only 2GB RAM.. fail.. all this time it was bukkit.

25. Offline

ManBearWaffle

Let me know how it goes. I'm afraid to update :p. The bukkit issue caused me to do some crazy stuff too. I probably lost about half of my players from restarting a lot to remove different plugins to figure out what was causing it, and destroyed some things by trying to remove tons of water and lava.

26. Offline

rushone2009

GUYS! GUYS!

BUKKIT is sucking atm, and we can't do anything about it. It chugs more CPU brain matter than hMod ever had (IMO), and I can't run it on 2gigs, 1.2 Ghz, 256 GB server.(Yes thats weak, but it works semi decent with MCAdmin) So honestly the devs need to cut some slack and get rid of the extra packets they are stuffing the program with like turkey. Just My Opinion.

You get the Visible Chunk load problem (You can fall through the slow loading chunks...... Loading sucks balls)

27. Offline

tremor

@ManBearWaffle: do you version your server? You can roll back your CB version and plugins to an older recommended build. #493 was good and most plugins are still around there.. if you save your server in version folders along with plugins.. then try reversing.. #522 seemed ok to me -- it wasn't til i did #527 that I really saw problems.

Java 7 does help alot.

I'm going to be trying CB #544 ahead of recommendation - to see if they listened to the people and reversed this terrible trend.

28. Offline

Xin_TiGeR

hmod leaks memory a lot.. with bukkit its much better..

i think the big eater is big brother, every single moment is recording something that everybody does on the map!

29. Offline

ManBearWaffle

Xin_TiGeR, it's not big brother. I started my server without plugins and it was still maxing the CPU.

30. Offline

tremor

We are not talking about memory in this instance but CPU usage... and it is most certainly bukkit build #527 (and perhaps also #522) i'm not certain about #531 yet i haven't run it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.