Hey people! I'd like to learn java

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Nick Foster, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Nick Foster

First off I know nothing about java I’ll have to be walked through most of it. but I’m not coding illiterate I know html, PHP, CSS, batch, and I wouldn’t say I’m good at but I’ve attempted c#. I have my own minecraft server and I wouldn’t mind I few custom plugins, it’s about time to gain some knowledge. Can someone help me get started?

2. Offline

LucasEmanuel

Start with the basics and get to know the language then you can start making your own plugins. There are some excellent guides and tutorials if you search for them on google so i recommend you do that first.

3. Offline

Nick Foster

if/when i learn java.... it does what by itself.... surely math and if and thens... ( like i said i know nothing about java) but what do i have to know to just make plugins i don't need to know every little feature of the java language just to write something simple to do i?

is this what you are talking about?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  4. Offline

CorrieKay

if i were to make a list of the top most important things i most commonly use in my plugins, i would say these:

1) maps
    2) lists
    3) casting
    4) using interfaces in general
    5) get to know the runnable interface
    6) basic java i/o
    7) for loops (enhanced, specifically.)

not to mention most, if not the entire, java syntax.

these are all highly common concepts that i use in almost every single plugin i make

Unfortunate thing is, these all rely on slightly deeper knowledge of java.

My suggestion? watch these.

5. Offline

Nick Foster

i dont want to have to work for days i just want to whip up a simple plugin that does one simple thing...

i'll go through those vids but i have the hardest time trying to focus on something that isnt very engaging

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

6. Offline

CorrieKay

you need to make a single plugin?

If you just need a single plugin, why dont you just go to the plugin request forum and ask? :p

Hell, what kind of plugin do you need? maybe i can help

7. Offline

Nick Foster

Well... I need this plugin to just kick peeps when they die... nothing else... maybe with a custom message... you died...

But I’d like to do it... I’d like to learn because these simple needs come to my server only to be discarded in the near future. We are trying to make event and have a server just for event so I’ll be adding and throwing away plugin constantly so I don’t want to bother others with all the tiny projects

8. Offline

CorrieKay

:\ well unfortunately, youre gonna have to learn it then..

9. Offline

Nick Foster

what do you suggest for me to do, i dont honestly want to learn the whole language.. i need a tut for writing bukkit plugins instead of java

10. Offline

CorrieKay

well thats just it, to do what you need, you do need to learn the language. If i just threw you a tutorial for how to build bukkit plugins, you wouldnt understand anything, and you'd get nowhere.

Your best bet is to probably ask your players if anyone knows how to code in java, and then throw them our way.

Either way, if you want to do this, you need to learn more than youre willing.

However, the plugin youre requesting is very simple. i could make it fairly quickly.

You'd just need to make a PlayerDeathEvent listener, and kick the player with the message. Ban them too, if you want, for the duration of the event.

11. Offline

gap1497

Do resarch on the internet. Some places have the code writen out and all you have to do is put in variables. U'll need notepad++ to edit the java codeing. I dont have a like of where to download it, but just type "Notepad++ download" in google and ull come up with a bunch of options. hope that help.

12. Offline

Nick Foster

well it would be nice if it banned them but we were just gonna use the lockout feature on mcmyadmin... they only need to be temporally banned or banned during the event.. i guess i could use this plugin on multiple event.. dude if you want to make this for me i'd be very great full!

i have a background with other languages man... i know what notepad++ is

13. Offline

gap1497

And sry, im a horrible speller.

14. Offline

colony88

15. Offline

gap1497

By the way, bukkit plugins can be writen in python to.

16. Offline

Nick Foster

sadly i don't know that language either

I'm looking at this now.. thanks for the link

17. Offline

gap1497

18. Offline

Nick Foster

19. Offline

gap1497

Python is a very basic language that is a LOT less complicated then java, and is easier to learn.

20. Offline

Nick Foster

dangit.... can you people make the decision for me!

21. Offline

colony88

22. Offline

Nick Foster

23. Offline

gap1497

unfortunatly.... no

thats once u get java...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
  24. Offline

colony88

I do NOT agree. Once you get how java works, it's quite simple.

Dunno, maybe

25. Offline

Nick Foster

Well i got a headache, can that do anything for me?

26. Offline

gap1497

so if you want to start:
    https://github.com/Bukkit/

here is a sample plugin:
    https://github.com/Bukkit/SamplePlugin/tree/master/src/main/java/com/dinnerbone/bukkit/sample

the javadocs:
    http://bamboo.lukegb.com/
    --- merged: Jan 14, 2011 2:05 PM ---
    oh and check out the howto make a plugin wiki here:
    http://wiki.bukkit.org/Programming_A_Plugin

install guide here:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/how-to-install-bukkit-newb-friendly.245/page-4#post-3820

found those links
    idk if there any good

27. Offline

colony88

Nope, the sample plugin from dinnerbone is outdated

28. Offline

gap1497

29. Offline

Mike111177

HTML, CSS, and Batch are not coding laungauges.

30. Offline

Nick Foster

that depends on who your arguing with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.