Help with vps setup

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by TheRevTastic, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TheRevTastic

I was just wondering if anybody could write up a step for step tutorial on getting craftbukkit to work on a vps and download links etc.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    TheRevTastic

2. Offline

croxis

That, unfortunately, is going to be different between VPS providers and linux distribution. Best advice I can give is follow your VPS documentation for setting up ssh access, installing java, a terminal text editor, and securing your server, then follow the various threads on setting up craftbukkit.

Hint, these commands in ssh will probably work:

This makes a minecraft directory, downloads the bukkit files, and we create a small script to run the server. You will need the program nano for this example.
    Code:
    mkdir minecraft
    cd minecraft
    wget http://hudson.lukegb.com/job/Bukkit/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/bukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    wget http://hudson.lukegb.com/job/CraftBukkit/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/target/craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    nano server.sh
    Copy and paste this in:
    Code:
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    Control O, then Control X will save your script and exit nano

Enter this commands into ssh again:
    Code:
    chmod +x server.sh

Then to run your server use:
    Code:
    ./server.sh

This will, however, cause your server to quit when you close ssh. To fix that you should look into using nohup, dtach, or screen to keep the server going after the ssh window is closed.

3. Offline

TheRevTastic

Alright thanks, also just want to point out the wget commands you specified didn't work.

4. Offline

croxis

Didn't work for me either, I stole them from another thread. You would have to find another location to download bukkit from.

5. Offline

RoTide

My VPSs didn't come with wget installed. For me and for anyone else using a debian/ubuntu vps the command to install wget is "apt-get install wget" (as root or a super-user).

You guys weren't specific with why the commands didn't work. The link could be bad, no doubt, but it could also be the command isn't recognized! Just wanted to point out how to install wget for those that are *nix illiterate.

6. Offline

TheRevTastic

Well I was stating that they just didn't work, I am not saying that I don't have wget installed as it is, also for other users that can't due apt-get install wget try "yum install wget".

But yes the wget worked just couldn't get what it was supposed to get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.