[HELP] will this vps run bukkit smoothly?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by LudeKo, Jul 22, 2011.

?

how much ram are you running

1. 1gb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2gb

33.3%
  3. 3gb

11.1%
  4. 4gb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6gb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 8gb

11.1%
  7. 12gb

33.3%
  8. 12+gb

11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

LudeKo

hi guys,
    before I ran a bukkit server on a VPS that had 2gb total ram(with burst) and that ran fine, but had some errors (time ran backwards, and server too busy), and with a few peaple it slowly started lagging.
    now after a month or two I wanna give it another go but this time i will do it right. my eye caught this site: http://www.buildyourvps.com/unmanaged.html

I wanted to choose an 8GB VPS, 10gb storage(enough for just bukkit i think), ubuntu 9.10, 250gb/m bandwith(also enough i guess)
    now I wasn`t quite sure if this was good, and also had my doubt`s about the OS, there is choice of these, but as seen to having experience with ubuntu that would be my first choice.
    these OS`s are supported:
    centOS 4/5
    debian 5/6
    fedora 11-14
    suse 11.3/11.4
    and some ubuntu versions, I always had 9.10 but I don`t know if that`s good, or there`s something better.

let me know

grz LudeKo

2. Offline

nickguletskii

1) Please provide info on how many users you expect.
    2) Ubuntu 9.10? Forget it. 10.04 or later, server edition.

3. Offline

LudeKo

I don`t have I number i`m expecting, just hoping for it to grow in time, don`t expect more than 3-6 @ same time though.
    thanks about the info on the OS.

ubuntu 10.4, 10.10 and 11.04 is available, which of these OS`s would you recommend?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  4. Offline

phondeux

When I ran on a VPS I found that at a certain point (around 15 users) the server became CPU bound instead of memory bound. I think I had 3GB of RAM dedicated to my VPS.

5. Offline

Daniel Heppner

The time ran backwards thing has much more to do with processor than RAM. Also, I'd recommend Debian. That's just my choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.