[Help] What kinda server specs I need, are the ones I have good enough?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Insidiea, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Insidiea

Since I'm not really familiar how much Bukkit consumes raw power, I need to ask you guys in your experience with it. I currently have 1 Dedicated server, hosts one minecraft server.
    Specs:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E4800 (2.2GHz)
    Memory: DDR2 1GB@ 800MHz
    HDD: 80GB IDE (Ill install a 320GB SATA II HDD, but will it help?)

Now I could upgrade the server for 4GB of ram, and a nice SATA HDD- ( I already have) for around 30 bucks. OR if I can go a step further, I don't like investing in old technology, Especially DDR2 being as, It's slower at a ripoff price, I could get something along the lines:
    CPU: PHENOM II X4 840 3.2GHz (I would probably overclock this badboy to 4GHz, mabye even 4.2, I usually like to 1GHz overclocks, But since it will be on always I don't wanna stress it)

Memory DDR3 6GB @ 1333MHz (I already have)
    HDD 320GB SATA II or 2x80GB SATA II RAID 0 (I would have to purchase)

for around $100 or $150 with the RAID 0 setup.

When I used to pay 30 dollars a month for 1GB of ram, and probably a 1GHz cpu from servercraft.co, there was no lag, But then again, they were using a RAID 0 config.

What my minecraft server needs:
    35 slots (20 people usally on)
    Has to keep up with logblock, iconomy, and mcmmo, (optional) live map, I would really like it, I'd be using banana map render, and players generating chunks.

Should I go for the simple 30 dollar RAM budget, or go the $100 dollar way, if the 100 dollar way, will minecraft use all of that power? Would you guys recommend any tricks to speed up the config I have now?

Oh and BTW, the servers aren't being used for anything else but minecraft, power and internet plugged into them, and thats all.

Thanks alot,

Insidiea

2. Offline

Liberality

Not really a fan of 1GB. I picked an offer of a 2GB "20 Slot server", thing is I was only able to hold around 10-12 because of the RAM usage of my plugins. Since Plugins often stack, like MultiVerse and iConomy and what not.

3. Offline

Insidiea

I actually have to RMA 1GB of ram, So i could do it for nothing to little

4. Offline

Pencil

4 Gb is kinda overkill for 20 people :p 2 Gb should be enough. Don't pay for stuff you wont ever need ^^

5. Offline

Insidiea

What about the CPU?

6. Offline

IronWill1991

Good luck overclocking 840 to 4GHz. I have hard time getting x4 970BE 100% stable at 4GHz, and I can't get it stable at 4.2GHz. If you want extreme overclocking, get i5 2500k or i7 2600k and a great cooling system. These bad boys can be easily overclocked to 4.5GHz or better.

7. Offline

Insidiea

I have a Q9550 (Intel quad core 12MB cache) overclocked to 4GHz, But I understand that all chips are different, So I guess i'd have to play with it.

EDIT: Also what MB are you using and cooler?

8. Offline

Pencil

Tbh my first bukkit server was using an pentium 4 and it didn't lag for 15 people, that was with 1,5 GB ram, so really you need to try it out.

9. Offline

Insidiea

Lol i used to use a pentium 4 with 512mb RAM, hosted 13 people

10. Offline

Pencil

Yeah, some stuff is just overkill. I doubt anyone will notice the difference between an 3.0 Ghz i7 and an 4.0 Ghz i7 with a minecraft server

11. Offline

Insidiea

Yeah main part is I just needa know the right RAM size for me

Also what operating system would you guys recomend, Ubuntu?, XP?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  12. Offline

TexasGamer

Ubuntu (or any distro. of Linux) will be better for hosting the server since it uses much less RAM than Windows.

13. Offline

Zalastri

I had 45 people on a Core 2 duo, same clockspeed as yours. I had 4 gigs of ram though, and I ran my world in ramdisk.

14. Offline

Hagon94

A server hosting sites like brohoster says 2gb is rccomended for up to 64 people, while servercraft says it's up to 32 people...I'm having a hard time believing that.
    What really IS the truth abouth how many gigabytes of RAM are best for say... 30 players online? Taking into consideration that I'd have a good few plugins like multiverse, McMMo, permissions Iconomy, Herochat and stuff like that?

15. Offline

Insidiea

How is your mcmmo, Mine eats up the cpu and glitches with player stats.

16. Offline

Hagon94

I haven't gotten to set it up yet. =C
    I'm having issues installing and configuring any of them x_x
    But I'm talking theoretically, IF i had them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.