Help, not getting much donations :(

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Gladius_Crafter, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

Hey guys!
    Well, I run a 100 slot server, and always have 100/100 during the day, and 30-20 at night time.
    However, my server isn't getting much donations. I wouldn't say im not getting any, I am. But I could be getting way more. I see other servers that have much less players than me and still get more donations, so I am doing something wrong. Please visit my donation store and tell me what I should change, and please don't assume im asking for donations, because I am not. I just want suggestions :)

http://bravenetwork.net/shop

2. Offline

bitWolfy

Huh. Well, I have to say that the website itself looks pretty good, especially considering the fact that it is on Enjin, which seems to be the place where bad websites live nowadays. There are issues, naturally, like the news entries looking pretty darn ugly, but that's besides the point.

I don't really know why would you not get much donations. How much money are we talking about? i.e. are you not able to cover the costs of running the server, or are you not satisfied with the profits? If it's the later, be prepared to be called bad names.

As for techniques for making more money from donations, the best way to do so is to raise awareness.

Raising awareness is more or less harmless. Make sure that people know of the option to donate to the server, but be careful with timing. For example, many people, me including, would find constant announcements about donation options to be extremely annoying. It really does sound like begging. On the other hand, if you, for example, place signs in the server shop that tell your users about an option to buy in-game currency for real money, you'll find some people resorting to donations when they cannot get what they want. Good placement is everything.

MrBluebear3 and MysteryManX like this.
  3. Offline

midnightfang22

Your front page text is kind of hard to read. The green chat for moderator (assuming that green is mod) is almost unreadable to me in the news post and the text style and white color makes it a bit difficult to read on the brightly colored background.

Edit: That probably doesn't have much to do with the donation issue, but it can get annoying.

4. Offline

LaxWasHere

You have .no-ip.org that would mean that you mostly have kids who doesn't have paypal play on your server.

chaseoes, MikeA and lDucks like this.
  5. Offline

LiLChris

It's usually the latter when threads like this come out.

Story of my time on Bravenetwork

I logged on, first sign I read is donation link.
    I turn around and see a huge wall of donation signs
    Then I see a advertisement on chat about donations.
    Next I try to leave spawn area so I go straight a button to give you donation information in between all portals.
    Went through Faction portal and first thing I see is donation sign in my face.

Really excessive don't you think? :(

RiotShielder and chakyl like this.
  6. Offline

bitWolfy

LiLChris And here I am, trying to give advice on un-intrusive donations information. Ah, the humanity.

rats1233455 and RiotShielder like this.
  7. Offline

LEOcab

There's nothing wrong with NoIP. Having a subdomain doesn't equal a bad server. I used their free domain service before my server got popular enough for the $30 .us domain to be worth it.

I didn't go on this server but if this is what's on there, I suggest you take it down. I got my first donation before I even asked for donations anywhere, before I had a PayPal button on my website. If people can donate, they will donate without being told when they realize that they like the server.

8. Offline

lDucks

If you're paying $30 for a .us domain when you can get them for $8, you're going to have a bad time.

9. Offline

LEOcab

$8 a month? wat. They're only $30 a year at NoIP. :p

10. Offline

lDucks

$8 a year.

namecheap.com

Domains are REALLY cheap. No domain should cost $30 a year that's insane.

realiez and MrBluebear3 like this.
  11. Offline

LiLChris

I had my server open for 3ish months before having a donation link, many had asked too.
    Once I did all my old time players decided to donate, and now I am slowly working my way up to better hardware each month. :)

True, but sometimes you want a certain one and they end up costing a little more.

12. Offline

lDucks

Well, if you're buying it from a third party. I own the domain http://gamingmc.net

If someone is like, oh that's a great name let me get that, I would be charging a lot more than the $10 I paid for it.

13. Offline

LEOcab

Naw I got it straight from NoIP. Look like I'm getting ripped off. :(

14. Offline

MikeA

I wouldn't pay $10 for that r_r

15. Offline

Ne0nx3r0

You could get a .tk domain for free; assuming you have some form of hosting/dns to setup the forwarding to your server.

16. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

Hi guys, thanks for the reply. Ill be sure to be less beggy on the donations.
    And Ill work on fixing the website text :) Thanks again.

17. Offline

tanveergt5

You are using enjin...

18. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

So are thousands of other mc servers, problem? :confused:

19. Offline

lDucks

Well at least you know better now ;P
    It was an example, sir. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough.
    If thousands of MC server started jumping off bridges, would you jump off a bridge too? xD

20. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

Thats not what I mean. I mean if so many use it, you are insluting all the ones that DO use it.
    I bet half the people that commented here use enjin. Anyways, any other suggestions?

21. I advise fixing the Iframe height adjustment, little things like that can put users off from donating.

22. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

I see, what is wrong with it? Im quite noob with html.

23. On some pages of the webstore the Iframe is cutting off the bottom half.

24. Offline

bitWolfy

The only problem with Enjin is that most of the sites on it are ugly, and I mean really, really ugly.

25. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

That is very true, most sites are the default them. I have tried to create a unique site (The navigation is)

26. Offline

lDucks

[​IMG]

27. Offline

crushh87

Your website is intimidating...
    What I see when I go to the website, seems extreme
    " Paypal Chargebacks will result in a permanent IP ban and a possibility of your information to be sent to paypal."

28. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

Okay thanks guys. Any other suggestions? Really I have 100 players on, and only 2 donations a day, I am thankful for that but, I should be getting way more.

Oh, and can you tell me some effective ways to remind players about our webstore?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  29. Offline

Evilshallwin

2 donations a day? You know the average is about 1 per week, right, for servers of your size? Be happy you get what you do, because you clearly get enough to run your server.

30. Offline

Gladius_Crafter

No you are wrong... The average per day on servers my size is certainly not 1 per week, I know that for a fact..

bobacadodl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.