GroupManager Vs. PEX

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by rayblon, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rayblon

Provide a detailed argument please. I've been doing some research on new permission handlers after the rotten banana reared its' head, but it would seem most of the discussions pertaining to them are old, and outdated due to supposed bugfixed on Pex's side. I've got my sentiments for both of them, but I want to hear from you guys before I make my decision.

So, PEX or GroupManager?

2. Offline

Necrodoom

Moved to correct section.
    While PEX has fixed some of its bugs, some are still actives and several major new ones were added, namely issues with per-world permissions and new players not receiving any permissions at random. Id suggest using a stable permission plugin such as GroupManager (which i use), Bpermissions or Privileges.

JOPHESTUS likes this.
  3. Offline

mazentheamazin

rayblon
    I don't actually have a personal preference, as PermissionsEx works well for me in certain servers and GroupManager works better for the other. For example:
    • I would use GroupManager for a Faction server, but I wouldn't use it for a prison server.
    • PermissionsEx works great for a prison server, with the right management and rankup plugin.
    My opinion is this way since I feel PermissionsEx allows you to extend how complex your permissions are, even though they cause bugs they don't occur to me as much. In my example I was talking about a faction and prison server, a prison server may have multiple ranks that need to be stored into 1 player so PermissionsEx supports that. With donator ranks they don't work out as well with GroupManager as you can have a max of 2 ranks. As these may change for a prison server, it would be difficult to work with in the future. A faction server normally would have something with 2 ranks max. A default rank with the normal permissions, and a donor rank (If applicable). So, I move between permission plugins depending on the situation.

4. Offline

Necrodoom

5. Offline

mazentheamazin

Necrodoom
    Oh, really? I thought it was just a group and a subgroup. Well, thanks for informing me!

Necrodoom likes this.
  6. If you were recruiting staff members and had group manager and you gave them /OP that would give them access to mess up your whole servers permissions, as in Pex you can be OP but you can't change your group or mess around with the plugins.

7. Offline

Necrodoom

8. Lets say they were Head-Admin on Factions server for a while. Eventually they get trusted, then the owner provides them with OP. The Head-Admin was waiting for OP and he has took over the whole permissions making it harder for him/her to get banned and deopped.

9. Offline

Necrodoom

whitelegendninja Sounds like to me you need to manage your permissions better and not give OP, as OP equals giving all permissions. It also gives you permission to do anything in PEX as well, anyway.

10. With PEX, people cannot do anything do anything that involves Pex, etc: /pex user {user} add {permission}. No-One would be able to do that unless the owner gives permission to do so. I believe pex is better.

11. Offline

rayblon

It would seem that the best choice would be GroupManager, but I've heard that the permissions aren't in flat files and that each rank has a respective file. Does this make configuring permissions and converting difficult? I have several rank ladders and over 30 ranks in total. Inheritance is important, as I have ~800 permission nodes configure.

Necrodoom
    Sorry about that. I figured out it was in the wrong section ten minutes too late. :l

12. Offline

Necrodoom

rayblon Dont worry about that.
    And not sure where you heard that, GM uses yml files only, and by default it has only two files in total, groups.yml and users.yml, plus config.yml and globalgroups.yml for misc configuration, though you can make it so each world has its own groups.yml and users.yml.

13. Offline

mazentheamazin

rayblon
    Sounds like a prison server.. *whispers* Pex...

14. Offline

rayblon

mazentheamazin

It's not a prison server, actually. :)

It's a hybrid-hierarchy-scifi-RPG-everything but prison server. I emphasize players earning their status, but also maintain an elaborate premium ladder and intricate staff ranks.

15. Offline

mazentheamazin

rayblon Eh, still the same concept of Ranking up, so.. *screams* PEX! and.. uh, if your looking for a rankup plugin.. hehe
    http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/PrisonRankup/

16. Offline

rayblon

I need one that unlocks buyable ranks after a player is rank X for Y days.

17. Offline

mazentheamazin

rayblon
    If you want me to edit it for your situation just msg me.

18. Offline

rayblon

mazentheamazin
    I can't pay for any plugins, if that's what you mean. I'm working at a deficit as it is... :I

19. Offline

mazentheamazin

rayblon You're not allowed to pay somebody for plugins, anyways. I wouldn't do that.

20. Offline

rayblon

Necrodoom mazentheamazin
    I think I'll go with Groupmanager first. Stability is really important. :D

Love your rankup plugin now, Amazin.

mazentheamazin likes this.
  21. Offline

DoingItWell

I've used GroupManager since August 2012 without issue.

22. Offline

rayblon

Is there any tool to convert from Bperms to group manager? I'm using http://convert2gm.cgw.me/#bperms but it throws an arror on line one about the default rank.
    It would take days to convert manually.

23. Offline

mazentheamazin

24. Offline

Stevensaurus

I have not used PEX so I can't compare the two, but I have used GroupManager and I am very happy with it.

25. Offline

YepImRobbie

I love PEX, mainly because I've never used Group-Manager, but it's extremely flexible, and sources everything I need.

26. Offline

rayblon

Necrodoom Is there any 'easy' way to convert from bPerms to GM? All the conversion utilities on the web are out of date, and I don't know how to reconfigure my permissions to work with GM.

27. Offline

iiHeroo

I'd say PermissionsEx, although, as Necrodoom it contains bugs at the moment, if your doing a network server, I'd do bPermissions with bPermissionsNano if not, Pex or GM.

28. Offline

Necrodoom

rayblon Can you paste some sample Bperms files? i could see if there is an easy way to convert using notepad++.

29. Offline

rayblon

Necrodoom
    There is a groups.yml for every world and a groups.yml for global perms. The global perms and world perms don't interact, and inheritance can't be drawn from global files.
    Code:
    #Specify the name of your default group here
    default: default
    #Groups list, this is the only other list that should be in your groups.yml
    groups:
    #This line specifies the name of your group
      admin:
        #You specify your permission nodes here
        permissions:
        - ^group.moderator
        - bPermissions.admin
        - bukkit.broadcast.admin
        - bukkit.broadcast
        - bukkit.command.kill
        - bukkit.command.list
        - bukkit.command.whitelist
        - bukkit.command.whitelist.reload
        - bukkit.command.whitelist.remove
        - bukkit.command.xp
        - tracks.*
        #Groups to inherit. This means admin inherits moderator's permissions
        groups:
        #Meta data for prefix, suffix, and group priorities
        meta:
          prority: '100'
          prefix: '&5admin'
      default:
        permissions:
        - bukkit.broadcast.user
        - group.default
        groups: []
        meta:
          prefix: '&9user'
          suffix: ' Newbie'
      moderator:
        permissions:
        - ^group.default
        - bukkit.command.ban.ip
        - bukkit.command.ban.player
        - bukkit.command.ban
        - bukkit.command.kick
        - group.moderator
        groups:
        meta:
          prority: '50'
          prefix: '&7moderator'

30. Offline

Necrodoom

rayblon
    Replace all "groups:" with "inheritance:" except the very top one/
    Replace all "meta:" with "info:".
    Remove all priority lines.
    Replace all '^' with '-'.
    Remove default line and add 'default: true' line under the group you want to be default instead.

This is from what i see so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.