Solved Group manager permissions. Am I doing it right?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Psychyn, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Psychyn

Hey there.

First time fiddling with the permissions, and after having double checked everything three times.. I'm not sure where the fault lies. I'm not sure if I've done it right to begin with, so I'm hoping that anyone can peek at it and tell me where I went wrong. The error log mentions something about incorrect formatting but that's all I got.

Thanks. :3 I'm confident I added redundant permission nodes as well, or simply forgot a whole bunch.

Console error log:
    http://pastebin.com/H13eE7Ge

Globalgroups.yml:
    http://pastebin.com/8MhYDuRQ

Groups.yml:
    http://pastebin.com/CHYBrGdn

Should I just put everything under groups or, am I just using these files wrong or.. what? I thought I had set it up well, but a first timer on the server can't even lock chests so it seems it went wrong there already. (Seems only OPs can)

mod list:
    Show Spoiler

WorldGuard
    WorldEdit
    VanishNoPacket
    UberForest
    SecureChests
    LightDetector-1.3
    GriefPrevention
    EssentialsSpawn
    EssentialsGroupManager
    EssentialsGroupBridge
    EssentialsChat
    Essentials
    Dynmap
    Dynmap-WorldGuard
    Dynmap-Griefprevention
    ChopTree2
    CCPlugin
    Announcer

2. Offline

Necrodoom

i see only 2 errors:
    you forgot line 'permissions:' at group g:securechest_owner
    you cannot have a space in group name, 'new user'

Psychyn likes this.
  3. Offline

Psychyn

Thanks, that fixed the console errors it seems.

Now I'm still unable to lock chests as default user. Also, I noticed that when I deop myself; I get put back in the default usergroup instead of the.. Well, owner group. Somewhat funny, considering it's my server.

I'll give it a go I suppose. So instead of putting everything in Globalgroups.yml, I add the nodes to Groups.yml?

4. Offline

Necrodoom

you gotta add your self to owner group if you want to be owner. plugins cant detect who is the founder.

also, it is completely unnedded to move all nodes from globalgroups.yml, it works fine, and its much easier to handle in there

5. Offline

Psychyn

I think I did that one correctly. Here's the users.yml file:

Code:
    # "For a more advanced configuration example utilizing the advanced features of GroupManager, see http://pastebin.com/a8ZA0j5G"
    users:
      insertnamehere:
        group: Builder
        subgroups: []
        permissions: []
      insertnamehere:
        group: Moderator
      Psychyn:
        group: owner

Don't see what I could have done wrong there.

Edit: Tried adding myself by hand with the in-game command /manuadd. Got the message "An internal error occured while attempting to perform this command." Tried to find all my permissions through /manulistp after, same error.

Upon trying it in the console, (Not sure if that even works) I got this:
    Show Spoiler

6.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO ... 8 more
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:40)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at org.anjocaido.groupmanager.GroupManager.onCommand(GroupManager.java:387)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/bukkit/command/BlockCommandSender
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:492)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:467)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:593)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.b(MinecraftServer.java:625)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchServerCommand(CraftServer.java:493)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:497)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at forge.bukkit.ForgeCommandMap.dispatch(ForgeCommandMap.java:55)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:166)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:42)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] INFO org.bukkit.command.CommandException: Unhandled exception executing command 'manuadd' in plugin GroupManager v2.0 (2.9.6) (Phoenix)
    06.01 12:25:18 [Server] WARNING Unexpected exception while parsing console command

Guessing it doesn't enjoy me doing that. I think I broke it more then I thought. o.0

Seems a lot of people loathe group manager when it comes to this error. I'll consider getting a different permission plugin.

6. Offline

Necrodoom

maybe you should fix your error instead trying to blame groupmanager for it.
    paste startup log again, fix the rest of the errors that it says you did.

7. Offline

Psychyn

.. You might want to re-read the post. "I think I did it correctly." Aka: "If there is an error, then do point it out as I do not see it." You are the one implying you are lying, not me.

Don't see what I could have done wrong there = It looked easy to me so I don't see where I messed up.

Ease up on the attitude, the help is appreciated. If I didn't want help, I wouldn't be posting here. You wrote this.

I did that, as shown above. What other owner group do you mean if it's not the user.yml file?

8. Offline

Necrodoom

er, i edited that out a few seconds later?

9. Offline

Psychyn

People read faster then you might realize.

That's what I'm trying to do, is it not? I'm not blaming it, I'm saying that a lot of people loathe it for not working correctly based on these posts:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/groupmanager-an-internal-error-has-occured.79045/

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/internal-server-error-has-occured-group-manager.120985/

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/groupmanager-help-internal-error.80963/

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/an...ng-to-perform-this-command-please-help.79102/

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/gr...hen-attempting-to-preform-this-command.22515/

None of them have a fix for this issue. No need to defend groupmanager for I'm not attacking it. I'm trying to find out where the coding went wrong, or what is causing it to malfunction.

Startup log:
    Code:
    06.01 12:46:45 [Server] INFO GroupManager version 2.0 (2.9.6) (Phoenix) is enabled!
    06.01 12:46:45 [Server] INFO Enabling GroupManager v2.0 (2.9.6) (Phoenix)
    No errors apart from this new one:
    06.01 12:46:45 [Server] SEVERE Plugin WorldGuard is attempting to register event org/bukkit/event/player/AsyncPlayerChatEvent, which does not exist. Ignoring events registered in class com.sk89q.worldguard.bukkit.WorldGuardPlayerListener

Didn't had that one on an earlier reboot.

10. Offline

Necrodoom

these threads are posted for all permissions plugins, by the hundreds. these errors are standard YML errors, and you will see these across all of them. basically, if you learn how to use one, you can use them all.

also il need the entire startup log, because

06.01 12:46:45 [Server] SEVERE Plugin WorldGuard is attempting to register event org/bukkit/event/player/AsyncPlayerChatEvent, which does not exist. Ignoring events registered in class com.sk89q.worldguard.bukkit.WorldGuardPlayerListener

this means bukkit version is 1.2.5 or below.

11. Offline

Psychyn

Fair enough. My apologies for not mentioning it, trying to set this up on Tekkit. Tekkit uses the 1.2.5 MC build still. I've downloaded the Essentials and Group manager versions to match the 1.2.5 build.

Here's the full startup log:
    http://pastebin.com/fUH7TLaD

(Not too fuzzed about the item problem. Tekkit always does that.)

Edit: Heh, worldguard error is gone again it seems. Crazy stuff going on, lol.

12. Offline

Necrodoom

[Multicraft] Skipped 55 lines due to rate limit (30/s)
    im guessing multicraft wiped your error under the carpet, server.log should provide more info

EDIT: gotta go, run your files though http://wiki.ess3.net/yaml/
    should provide clearer info

13. Offline

Psychyn

My bad, had to look around for it but here you go.

http://pastebin.com/wjachHR2

Noticed a lot of errors after redpowerwiring. Never had any issues in-game, but that can't be positive either. Not relevant to this however. Nothing about groupmanager though. Even says at one point that it's using the GM permissions.

Managed to solve most of this by using PEX. This can be closed/solved.

For some reason, a lot friendlier to use with it's layout once you get going with it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  14. Offline

falkensmaze

I tend to agree. GroupManager works well when it does, but it leaves something to be desired in the presence of misconfiguration. It enters a lockout mode that won't re-report the original error, nor direct you to the location of the log file, which is GroupManager/ERROR.LOG, nor tell you what you need to do to get it to reexamine fixed configs.

15. Offline

Necrodoom

looks like your version of tekkit means that you have to use GM for 1.2.5.

it says everything you mentioned... it tells you to check the log, AKA: server.log, and it tells you to /manload after your fix your issue..

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  16. Offline

falkensmaze

Hrm... Did you sneak into my server and update my GroupManager? I can't even get it to do the lock thing anymore by putting garbage in my .ymls.

Yet if the config.yml, say, has a parse error when the server starts, I get an informative report about it once, then only the following on later GM commands:

Show Spoiler

Code:
    >manload
    09:36:20 [WARNING] Unexpected exception while parsing console command "manload"
    org.bukkit.command.CommandException: Unhandled exception executing command 'manload' in plugin GroupManager v2.0 (2.9.6) (Phoenix)
            at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:46)
            at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:186)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_4_5.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:504)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_4_5.CraftServer.dispatchServerCommand(CraftServer.java:496)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_4_5.DedicatedServer.al(DedicatedServer.java:258)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_4_5.DedicatedServer.r(DedicatedServer.java:223)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_4_5.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:493)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_4_5.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:426)
            at net.minecraft.server.v1_4_5.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:856)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
            at org.anjocaido.groupmanager.GroupManager.onCommand(GroupManager.java:384)
            at org.bukkit.command.PluginCommand.execute(PluginCommand.java:44)
            ... 8 more

I guess in this case GM has unloaded itself completely due to errors happen on plugin init.

17. Offline

Necrodoom

yep, unloads itself to prevent damage to other plugins, better off than PEX giving nulls to other plugins and making a one big mess on the server.log.

18. Offline

falkensmaze

Okay, that's nice of it. How can I force the "All commands are locked due to an error" error?

19. Offline

Necrodoom

break the YML?

20. Offline

falkensmaze

Tried that, it just did normal things I expect plugins to do. Okay, I guess you win this round; GroupManager is awesome and perfect in every way. :)

21. Offline

Psychyn

Seems like this thread is getting ninjad.

Can't agree since it took me hours to configure and never worked in the end. Pex only took me a hour, some space fiddling and now works perfectly without any errors. Haven't had any problems of lock ups and everything else people are claiming it does; But hey, to each their own. Not going to switch back to a manager that wasn't working or some other plugin now that everything does work.

Put this thread on solved before this turns into a pex vs manager discussion. Hope that means its locked.

22. Offline

Necrodoom

as i said, your error is because you were using wrong version of GM for tekkit, not because of your configuration. if you were using proper version of GM for tekkit with your correct permissions setup, it would work fine.

23. Offline

Psychyn

Right. Good luck finding the 1.2.5 download.

It's not on the Essentials page, the download linked to their Group Manager is the one I used which isn't working with Tekkit. And:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/groupmanager/

Offers no download. Now that I got a permission plugin that works, I'm not reverting back to one that isn't clear about it's versions. I suggest you stop trying to convince me to switch to GM and instead accept that I use Pex; Which works.

Appreciate the earlier given help, but this is just turning into a spam fest. Where's the lock button on this thing.

24. Offline

Necrodoom

http://ess.ementalo.com/repository/download/bt2/3805:id/Essentials-gm.zip
    also, how it wasnt clear about its versions? tekkit needs a special download link, and is also 1.2.5
    also, im not trying to convince you to switch, (although PEX will be a complete nightmare for your plugins), im trying to explain you were your server went wrong, allowing you to understand farther errors.

25. Offline

Psychyn

Fair enough, and I swear I looked around on that site but couldn't find that version. =\

Who knows. When I notice that Pex breaks stuff I'll look into GM again. I only run a smaller server so doubt it's going to be that bad.

Thanks.

Edit: Regarding the clarity: It states the -Essentials- version for Tekkit. Not the GM version, nor does it offer the GM version on the bukkit page. The site that it does have isn't all that easy-to-use considering I couldn't find it myself earlier. Hence why I said unclear. It mentions the right essentials-tekkit package, not the group manager stuff.

In hindsight, all this could have been solved if the devbukkit page just had a "Click here for GroupManager 1.2.5(Tekkit!)" link.

26. Offline

Eyeinfinity

27. Offline

wheelman2001

hello yeah so I have a group manager file and everything works but in my default group I have pretty much the same permissions as my Builder but it wont work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.