[FUN] MobArena v0.96.8 - Become a mob-fighting gladiator! [1.7.x, 1.8.x]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by garbagemule, May 30, 2011.

1. Offline

garbagemule

[​IMG]

MobArena - Become a mob-fighting gladiator!
    [​IMG] Latest build: v0.96.7 (1.7.x)
    [​IMG] Wiki
    [​IMG] IRC Channel
    [​IMG] Source

BukkitDev Project Page - Find MobArena on dev.bukkit.org here: LINK.

------------------------------

Old description (open)
    If you enjoy fighting monsters for glorious prizes or just the sheer thrill of battle, you and your friends can now join forces against hordes of Minecraft evils in the exciting gladiator-style survival mini-game MobArena!

Heavily inspired by Deminetix' Fight-plugin, MobArena is a PvE-take on arena-gameplay, with a similar class-based system. Instead of fighting other players, you team up with them to beat oncoming waves of monsters, earning rewards in the process. MobArena can be played alone, or with as many friends as you like!

Features:
    • Fight oncoming waves of monsters
    • Play alone or team up with friends
    • Earn glorious prizes
    • Customizable classes, rewards and waves
    • Easy to set up
    • Extremely easy to use
    • Very few user commands
    • Supports Permissions and all major economies
    • Supports Spout
    • Supports Heroes
    Note: When you post a bug report, please provide a stacktrace/error from the server log/console window. Post this stacktrace in either a pastebin, a pastie, or a CODE-block! The same applies for config-files, permissions-files, etc! Please don't put them directly in your posts, as they become gigantic and annoying to read. If you don't follow this guideline, I might ignore your post!

Wiki - Instructions, commands, FAQ, etc.
    I have set up a Wiki for MobArena. It contains a bunch of information and guides on how to set up and customize arenas, an overview of all the commands, how to set up Permissions, as well as frequently asked questions.

New: MobArena now has its own IRC channel (#mobarena @ EsperNet). Click here for a web-based IRC client. Feel free to stop by to get help setting everything up if you really don't understand the Wiki and the instructional video, or to have a chat about MobArena (or anything else, for that matter) :)

Relevant links:
    Videos:
    Getting started with MobArena, by Flamers
    Flamers made this really easy-to-follow, simple video of how to get started with MobArena. It covers installing the plugin, defining an arena region and setting up basic leaderboards, as well as a few pointers for arena design.
    Old instructional video (open)
    Instructional video for setting up MobArena:

Note: This video was made for v0.67, but all the in-game instructions still work the same for the latest versions. The config-file has changed, so make sure to read the Wiki on how to set it up.
    More Videos (open)
    Review of MobArena by plugin reviewer jamescosten (v0.84):

Note: My nickname "garbagemule" is pronounced "garbage mule", as in "trash donkey" ;)

Hilarious showcase of MobArena by Daniel James and Daniel Cherry (v0.92.3):

Delios showing off his beautiful arena setup:

slowmonkey1227 in his interesting "island" arena: YouTube
    French video by avalondrey (v0.87.3): YouTube
    German video by blutherz and his friends (v0.91.2): YouTube

Troubleshooting:
    To avoid wasting not only your own time, but mine as well, I expect everyone to do some extensive troubleshooting before posting bug reports. What does this mean?

Try MobArena on a fresh server.
    MobArena works perfectly fine when I release it. Sure, there are a few bugs, but it works. If it doesn't work for you, something is most likely wrong on your end. Set up a local test-server, and verify that MobArena works before claiming that it doesn't. When you have verified that MobArena does indeed work, you can start adding other plugins and settings until something conflicts.

Disable other plugins.
    The first thing you need to do is disable all other plugins. If you can't reproduce the bug with other plugins disabled, you know that you have a conflicting plugin. Now perform a binary search on the other plugins, or if you don't know how to do that, just add a couple of plugins back to the plugins-folder, try to reproduce the bug, and if you can't, the conflicting plugin must be in the remaining set of plugins.

Write down reproduction steps.
    Figure out the exact steps to reproduce/trigger the bug. I need precise steps, and as much information as possible, because there are often many things that could be going on. An example of reproduction steps could be:
    1. Type /ma join
    2. Punch the Archer class sign
    3. Wait for someone else to join
    4. Punch the iron block
    5. Type /ma leave before the other player picks a class

Check the console window/server.log
    Make sure you check the server.log file for any MobArena errors or exceptions. If you find any, copy the ENTIRE exception (including all the lines that say "at com.garbagemule.MobArena...") and paste it (with the other information) in a CODE-tag here in the thread.

Donations:
    I develop MobArena for the fun of it and the positive feedback is all it takes to make me happy, but a few people have asked for a link, so if you're one of them, here's a link: Donate - You can donate as much as you want, even down to a few cents! If I get enough donations, I will spend the money on an extra Minecraft account to aid me in developing/testing/debugging MobArena :)

Changelog:

Version 0.94.3.24
    • Updated for CB 1337.
    • The repair-delay node is now unused! The reason for this is that it is now possible (with the release of 1317) to cancel block damage in explosions, and still retain the animation and sound! This also means that arenas should be fully pistons-compatible (for arenas that don't use soft-restore or force-restore)! I'm hoping to see some screenshots and videos of shifting arenas! :)
    • You can now right-click signs in the lobby! I finally found a super easy solution to the improperly updating inventory issue with right-clicking class signs. The result is that players can now left- or right-click as they please. This should solve all issues related to players not being able to choose classes, due to spawn region and WorldGuard/Factions/whatever conflicts.
    • It is no longer possible to warp out of the lobby.
    • New per-arena setting: final-wave - Allows for setting a final wave, meaning on that wave, the arena will end, regardless of how many players are alive.
    Version 0.94.3.11 (open)

• v0.94.3.11 - Updated Register, built against CB 1240.
    • v0.94.3.8 - Added basic leaderboards.
    • v0.94.3.6 - Fixed MagicSpells support - MobArena no longer supports MagicSpells pre-v1.1!
    • v0.94.3.5 - Fixed a bunch of bugs introduced with CB 1185, as well as a couple of minor MobArena bugs.
    • Updated for CraftBukkit #1185
    • Updated economy support (now supports iConomy 6).
    • Added the three new mob types, Enderman/Endermen, CaveSpider/CaveSpiders, Silverfish. They can be used just like the other mob types in the waves.
    • Endermen cannot pick up arena blocks (this is why).
    • Endermen cannot place blocks in arena regions.
    • The per-class permission syntax has been fixed and changed slightly. The Wiki has been updated (clicky).
    • Fixed MagicSpells issues.
    Version 0.94.2 (open)

• Redstone circuits now work properly in arenas.
    • Lightning now properly strikes on spawnpoints on special waves.
    • Fixed an issue where players somehow warping/cheating out of the arena world get kicked from the server when discovered.
    • Added MagicSpells support. Use the magicspells.yml file to ban certain spells from the arena either for the whole session, or only during boss waves.
    • Fixed the Heroes death conflict. MobArena and Heroes should now play nice together. Further Heroes support is planned for upcoming releases.
    • [COLOR=#1000000]MobArena will no longer support the discontinued Permissions 2.x and 3.x permission systems.[/COLOR] Recommended permissions systems include PermissionsBukkit (defacto standard) or PermissionsEX.
    Version 0.94.1 (open)

• Added two new boss abilities: 'shuffle-positions' and 'flood'. Try them out!
    • Players disconnecting/crashing during an arena session no longer get corrupted data files due to economy rewards.
    • Weapon durability is now correctly set to "unlimited".
    • Item sub-types (cocoa beans, bonemeal, colored wool, etc.) now work again.
    • Players can no longer join the arena without first picking a class.
    • MobArena now works with spawn-monsters=false again.
    Version 0.94 (open)

• Completely revamped the waves system! Undeniably the biggest feature in MobArena since multiple arenas in v0.92, the new customizable waves are guaranteed to bring much more awesomeness to your MobArenas. The waves system brings two new wave types, swarm waves and boss waves. The latter is a very elaborate feature, and the whole waves system has been given its own page on the Wiki. Note: MobArena will ignore all old wave settings, but use sane defaults.
    • Revamped the logging system. Instead of logging: true, you can now use logging: yml/xml. The logging system will now keep track of the last session only, but also maintain a collection of 'totals' for each arena. The idea behind these easy-to-parse files is making the stats available on server web pages.
    • Added SuperPerms/PermissionsBukkit support. Note that specifying mobarena.arenas.* and mobarena.classes.* probably won't work, but these nodes are given to everyone by default.
    • Added Spout support. Currently, the only Spouty thing MobArena does is print (some) announcements as notifications/achievements. This should limit the amount of "chat spam" that MobArena produces. Other Spout-features are planned, but don't expect something crazy. Note that MobArena does NOT require Spout!
    • Monsters will no longer target pet wolves. This is a major nerf to pet classes, but they were very overpowered as it was.
    • Fixed item amounts greater than 64 sometimes bugging out. You should now be able to put arrow:1024 for your Archer classes :)
    • Fixed players losing their stored items and/or earned rewards upon disconnecting from the arena.
    • Fixed blocks not restoring when burned by fire.
    • Fixed an issue with entry fees. They should no longer cause any problems.
    • Fixed slimes. That's right! Slimes that spawn as a result of bigger slimes splitting upon death are now considered arena monsters. This also means that Slimes no longer drop slime balls; as intended.
    • Revamped the repairing algorithm. It is now MUCH more sophisticated, and is capable of repairing not only signs and containers, but also torches, doors and beds. Redstone -should- repair properly as well, but it is still slightly buggy.
    • Added support for restorable containers. Registered chests, dispensers, and furnaces will have their contents stored upon arena start, and restored at arena end. This is useful for providing the arena players with chests with e.g. upgrades or food.
    • Added new commands (for the feature above) - /ma addcontainer <name>, /ma delcontainer <name>, /ma containers. These commands work much like the the spawnpoint commands. To add a container, simply look at the container and type /ma addcontainer <name>.
    Changelog (continued)

apes, chakyl, Steffion and 64 others like this.
  2. Offline

Flamers

3. Offline

crysis992

I dont want any teleport plugins for my regular players, cause i have a RPG server and everytime they get lost in a cave they just teleport out if i istall such a plugin.

4. Offline

tuderen

@crysis992 not much that can be done then. If crashes are a common occurrence on your server and you don't allow warps for leaving the arena, maybe you shouldn't use MobArena on your RPG server?

5. Offline

kenneth123

you can solve the ghasts destroing, teh firespread and the pvp inside the arena with worldedit

6. Offline

rtcabooservb

ETA on 1.0? :D

7. Offline

Moe041991

8. Offline

Rpa;otj

The signs I can work around with design changes no problem! The cobwebs I have no idea about. I just know that if I give a class a cobweb at the start of the arena, they can lay it down just fine. Then when a creeper blows it up or it gets destroyed it respawns like it is protect and also drops a new copy of the cobweb itself that players can pick up. Needless to say, players were finding really easy fortress building/camping methods with this before I removed cobweb completely. As far as I know no other block is affected in this manner!

9. Offline

tuderen

@rtcabooservb no one knows, depends on how long it takes to add the features.

@Moe041991 it's http://garbagemule.yup.dk/MobArena/ you're looking for. The link's in the OP aswell, for next time.

@Rpa;otj yeah, it's quite possible the restore feature doesn't know it should ignore cobwebs. I'm quite sure garbagemule has looked into it, but I have no idea what his conclusions are. :/

10. Offline

Moe041991

thank you!

btw, is there any chance for a german version? I'd like to translate, but i cant find a languagefile.

11. Offline

Redyugi

If anyone wants to see my new arena, watch this and skip to 6 mins in. :)

12. Offline

Greylocke

This
    is not working properly. For those that have zones set up, the whole monster-spawn thing is a non-issue anyway. So would it be easy to just switch off this bit of functionality? Like a "ForceSpawnMode = false" kind of thing? That way if a server has zones setup they can avoid any current or future issues with the spawnmode being switched on/off.

13. Offline

garbagemule

@Greylocke - With spawn-monsters=true, my tests show that monsters spawn properly both before and after running the arena both once, twice and three times (found newly spawned monsters, and tested with Essentials' /spawnmob command). With spawn-monsters=false I was unable to spawn monsters with /spawnmob, but monsters spawned properly during the arena session. After the arena ended, both health regeneration and monster spawning was disabled properly. As for your no-spawns issue - I still have no idea. There is absolutely nothing I can do to try to fix this without being able to reproduce the bug, so I'll either need some very detailed steps to execute to reproduce it, or you'll have to try on a fresh server (and by fresh I mean completely fresh, not just with plugins disabled) and confirm that it does happen there too.

@Flamers - I haven't been able to successfully break a TNT block for it to yield a TNT drop, but I have seen TNT blowing up other TNT blocks that then yield a TNT drop (which was then exploded by the rebuilt primed TNT). For now, I'll ignore this as it's definitely not a big issue.

@crysis992 - Crash: Sorry, no idea how to work around that. MobArena registers disconnects, quits and kicks, but there is not "onCrashEvent" to register. Ghasts: You were warned about their wonky behaviour, so I'll simply ask you if you learnt your lesson? ;) Firespread and PvP shouldn't be disabled in the arena. Both are left on on purpose. v1.0 will allow you to toggle it on or off, but who are you to say that it "should" be disabled? It's fine if you ask for toggles, it's not fine if you demand that an actual feature is disabled just because you don't like it :)

@Rpa;otj - Sign text can be restored, but I don't really know how to go about doing it at this point in time. I'll have to look into the repair algorithm, but right now I'm keeping this in the lower end of the priority list. I hope you understand :) I haven't had time to look into the cobweb duplication, but I will ASAP. Definitely one of the bigger issues that I can actually do something about.

@zonedabone - Thank you so much for the suggestion and the pull request (and thank you for making it ultra-brief). I will test it out after my exam tomorrow and see if it works out :)

@Shortee - Glad to hear from a person who isn't having any trouble with MobArena; shows I'm not the only one ;) Bonuses will be added in v1.0 :)

@Ratchet - The spawning algorithm is very basic right now, and I have a suggestion to look into as soon as I get the time. What I can do is basically make the monsters target players with a certain armor piece, or else I will have to make some extra settings for a list of classes that should be higher priority. It's a good, valid suggestion, and I'll be happy to look into it when I get the time :)

@rtcabooservb - Read the FAQ :)

@Moe041991 - I'm not sure what kind of plugin you're using to update, but like tuderen says, the garbagemule.yup.dk address is what you want (or rather, what I want, as that is also a link to my download counter :)). As for a German version, I will be making ALL announcements customizable, and will be asking for translations for various languages for v1.0, so keep and eye out for when I release the localization file :)

14. Offline

Flamers

@garbagemule If I get a video of what I mean then it might help me make more sense?

15. Offline

DonutzDelicious

As I can read above, the issue/bug with the server turning into "Peaceful" has already been noted. I have no knowledge of coding or whatsoever. Regardless I hope my small feedback on how to reproduce it can help.

What we've done on my server;
    • Created an arena with the size of about 30x30,
    • Three people joined the arena, (we did use custom classes, waves and rewards.)
    • They lasted for about 17 rounds and then all died.
    • The plugin ported them out and rewarded them.
    As soon as they had their rewards received the server switched to peaceful, however this was fixed when I made it /reload. We've done three matches, and everytime it leaves the server on Peaceful after "ending" the match/waves.

If neccesary I could provide you with the config.yml we use.

16. Offline

ArcFox

I'm still trying to figure out what causes this. Neither me nor any user of mine get the wavemessages, even when NO other plugins is enabled, just pure bukkit + mobarena. But it's not that extremely annoying for us. Still, could you pleeease consider the wave-to-log thingy I mentioned before? :p Now that Creepers are nerfed users survive for much more waves in my arena and balancing this is a bit hard without feedback.

Small suggestions that just came to my mind: Could you add multiple special waves that are configurable just like the one now, maybe even with a predefined amount of monsters? I was thinking about a bossmonster at level 10 or so that involves one ghast or one giant.

Are you able to configure the damage of monsters inside the mobarena? I've never seen powered creepers before and they seem modified. Would it be possible to configure the HP and DMG of monsters, maybe even the HP and DMG of bossmonsters that only appear at a predefined wave?

I know I'm suggesting a lot but I (and my users) really, really like this plugin.

17. Offline

Flamers

I would just like to point out this is 0.92 but from the changelog I don't think the TNT has been changed.

I will upload the new version to Multiplay this weekend

18. Offline

erdrickk

It works perfect! as the OP the death chests still drop for me but for the regular users they dont drop!

19. Offline

Greylocke

Thank you for testing! I truly appreciate the effort.

Here is what I found. I use MultiVerse to create a separate world for MobArena (that way I can create a different set of permissions for the Arena World). When the MultiVerse config for the Arena World is set to [mobs: true] then the no-spawn thing happens. If I set [mobs: false] then everything works as-intended. Why does it work this way? I don't know! There are different MultiVerse controls for monsters [mobs:] and passives [animals:], but if I set [mobs:true] then MobArena turns off ALL spawns, not just the monsters.

I know that it isn't a MultiVerse issue, because if I do not load MobArena, then spawns work according to the MultiVerse settings. MobArena is doing something unexpected with the MultiVerse settings. But now I can get MobArena working again! woohoo!

Thanks for the awesome plugin!

garbagemule likes this.
  20. Offline

garbagemule

Updated to v0.91.2
    Tombstone no longer creates tombs and signs in MobArena, thanks to @zonedabone :) I also added inRegion(Location) to the API, which returns true if the given Location is inside of the arena region.
    @Don Redhorse @LeGenDaryX @erdrickk @Ratchet @ArcFox - This update hopefully brings your Tombstone woes to an end.

@Rpa;otj - I just tested out some cobweb explosions, and with MobArena v0.91.1, the cobweb properly "drops" as items like any other placed drop would. I'm not sure what could be causing your problem :( Can you give me a list of all the plugins you use?

@Flamers - It looks like your TNT problem is caused by whatever plugin you're using to block the explosion event. I'm not really sure how to work around that, but is it a big enough deal to really worry about? If yes, I will look into altering the priorities and see if I can't just put a quick "if (event.isCancelled()) return;" in there somewhere.

@DonutzDelicious - With MobArena v0.91.1 I can confirm that if spawn-monsters=true, the server will never go into peaceful-mode regardless of how many times you start and end MobArena. For further debugging, you need to disable any plugins you think might mess with monster spawning and see if the problem persists. This includes all region/zone/area plugins.

@ArcFox - I'll look into the logging, but I'll need more details on how it should be logged, and where to. Wave customization will be much more involved in v1.0 :) I appreciate the suggestions, because I want MobArena to be better too. Right now my focus is on bug-fixing, though, so as soon as I have weeded out all the major bugs, I can add new features.

@Greylocke - I will have to look at how MultiWorld handles that thing, because MobArena doesn't tinker with anything related to MultiWorld - at all. The issue would lie with MultiVerse, where it probably isolates the spawn settings for itself. I'm not sure how open it is, but I've added your post to the FAQ for other people to read. I'm glad you found the problem, and I'm glad you can now enjoy MobArena!

21. Offline

ArcFox

Applying the patch right now :D

About the logging: It should be fairly simple. A sentence like this one would have the most informations and can be written to the serverlog (or a flatfile so you don't have to search the serverlog for every single line^^) after the last player died and the arenafight officially ended:

[MobArena] The players ArcFox (Tank) , Garbagemule (Archer), XYZ (Medic) survived until wave 23! Hooray!

That should be enough to see where balancing went wrong (e.g. an overpowered class or an overpowered combination of multiple classes) and what rewards they probably got. In addition you could also write down what rewards the individual players got or what special mobs they encountered but I'm not sure this is thaaat helpful feedback. Something like:

[MobArena] Player ArcFox (Tank) got as reward: Stone:4 , Apple:2, Diamonds:64
    [MobArena] Specialwaves: Giants:1 , Ghasts:2, Pinksheep:42

22. Offline

zonedabone

Glad I could help! Taking advantage of the priorities assigned to events is one of the main reasons they're there - to help devs who know what they're doing get around tough situations.

23. Offline

Ham_Job

I don't think it's been mentioned but I have the Color Sign plugin installed and if someone changes the color of the text on the sign's in the Lobby that class can no longer be chosen. Even if the color is changed back to black.

I dunno if that's something you can fix haha, but I figured I'd let you know.

24. Offline

Sorcerer

Has there been any progress on the Wolftrainer class? Is there a way I could make this happen?

25. Offline

iMattxC

you need to establish a mob arena area and a mob protect area. I have my mob positions big enough to protect my stadium. But it causes mobs to spawn in the spectator area.

26. Offline

Scizzr

Still no support for this? Just wondering if you forgot o.0

Epic plugin lives on though. :)

27. Offline

tuderen

@Ham_Job I suspect the sign color changing adds some sort of code to the sign, even if you turn it back to black. Tried destroying the sign and placing a new one with the right text and no color changes?

@Sorcerer as it is you can train the wolves in normal waves, if you have bones. garbagemule was looking for yays and nays towards a pet class and replies were quite positive, so I'd suspect he'll sneak in a pet class in 1.0.

@iMattxC light up the spectator area? Also, maybe expand the region to cover the spectator area, think that stops mobs from spawning.

28. Offline

Hrdkr

Figured it out — my lobby room was in direct proximity of the arena (under it) and protection did not allowed players to hit classes' signs. Now I moved this room far form there and all works like it should. Thanks.

29. Offline

Anticontrame

This is by far my favorite plugin.

I have a suggestion. Right now I design classes with a mind towards preventing "turtling", but players can still team up to create impenetrable barricades by combining their limited supplies of placeable blocks (tnt, netherrack, web). If there were an option in the config file to force the end after x waves, that would keep them from racking up the recurring rewards and straining the server with mobs. You'd also be able to make more block-loaded classes.

Ideally there'd be an option to target the problem directly by forcing the end if a player has spent a certain amount of time without killing or taking damage, or maybe if the number of monsters exceeds a preset number, but those solutions might be harder to tackle (or impossible for all I know).

Thanks for the great work!

30. Offline

garbagemule

@Anticontrame - Glad you're liking MobArena! :) Your suggestion is so simple, yet so clever! I'm going to bounce the idea off of a couple of people and see how they would implement such a feature. It sounds a lot more simple and a lot less bloaty than some of the other suggestions I've seen so far. I'm still thinking about a detonatecreepers setting that basically blows up all creepers in the arena if they haven't been killed by the time the next wave hits, where the explosion doesn't actually hurt players, but only blows up blocks.

31. Offline

Anticontrame

Oh man, detonatecreepers would be awesome. An ax-wielding lumberjack class with a load of sapplings and bones -> bonemeal to build against the tide would be a nice dynamic, though I suppose you'd still have to keep him from building above creeper range.