[FUN] MobArena v0.96.8 - Become a mob-fighting gladiator! [1.7.x, 1.8.x]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by garbagemule, May 30, 2011.

1. Offline

garbagemule

[​IMG]

MobArena - Become a mob-fighting gladiator!
    [​IMG] Latest build: v0.96.7 (1.7.x)
    [​IMG] Wiki
    [​IMG] IRC Channel
    [​IMG] Source

BukkitDev Project Page - Find MobArena on dev.bukkit.org here: LINK.

------------------------------

Old description (open)
    If you enjoy fighting monsters for glorious prizes or just the sheer thrill of battle, you and your friends can now join forces against hordes of Minecraft evils in the exciting gladiator-style survival mini-game MobArena!

Heavily inspired by Deminetix' Fight-plugin, MobArena is a PvE-take on arena-gameplay, with a similar class-based system. Instead of fighting other players, you team up with them to beat oncoming waves of monsters, earning rewards in the process. MobArena can be played alone, or with as many friends as you like!

Features:
    • Fight oncoming waves of monsters
    • Play alone or team up with friends
    • Earn glorious prizes
    • Customizable classes, rewards and waves
    • Easy to set up
    • Extremely easy to use
    • Very few user commands
    • Supports Permissions and all major economies
    • Supports Spout
    • Supports Heroes
    Note: When you post a bug report, please provide a stacktrace/error from the server log/console window. Post this stacktrace in either a pastebin, a pastie, or a CODE-block! The same applies for config-files, permissions-files, etc! Please don't put them directly in your posts, as they become gigantic and annoying to read. If you don't follow this guideline, I might ignore your post!

Wiki - Instructions, commands, FAQ, etc.
    I have set up a Wiki for MobArena. It contains a bunch of information and guides on how to set up and customize arenas, an overview of all the commands, how to set up Permissions, as well as frequently asked questions.

New: MobArena now has its own IRC channel (#mobarena @ EsperNet). Click here for a web-based IRC client. Feel free to stop by to get help setting everything up if you really don't understand the Wiki and the instructional video, or to have a chat about MobArena (or anything else, for that matter) :)

Relevant links:
    Videos:
    Getting started with MobArena, by Flamers
    Flamers made this really easy-to-follow, simple video of how to get started with MobArena. It covers installing the plugin, defining an arena region and setting up basic leaderboards, as well as a few pointers for arena design.
    Old instructional video (open)
    Instructional video for setting up MobArena:

Note: This video was made for v0.67, but all the in-game instructions still work the same for the latest versions. The config-file has changed, so make sure to read the Wiki on how to set it up.
    More Videos (open)
    Review of MobArena by plugin reviewer jamescosten (v0.84):

Note: My nickname "garbagemule" is pronounced "garbage mule", as in "trash donkey" ;)

Hilarious showcase of MobArena by Daniel James and Daniel Cherry (v0.92.3):

Delios showing off his beautiful arena setup:

slowmonkey1227 in his interesting "island" arena: YouTube
    French video by avalondrey (v0.87.3): YouTube
    German video by blutherz and his friends (v0.91.2): YouTube

Troubleshooting:
    To avoid wasting not only your own time, but mine as well, I expect everyone to do some extensive troubleshooting before posting bug reports. What does this mean?

Try MobArena on a fresh server.
    MobArena works perfectly fine when I release it. Sure, there are a few bugs, but it works. If it doesn't work for you, something is most likely wrong on your end. Set up a local test-server, and verify that MobArena works before claiming that it doesn't. When you have verified that MobArena does indeed work, you can start adding other plugins and settings until something conflicts.

Disable other plugins.
    The first thing you need to do is disable all other plugins. If you can't reproduce the bug with other plugins disabled, you know that you have a conflicting plugin. Now perform a binary search on the other plugins, or if you don't know how to do that, just add a couple of plugins back to the plugins-folder, try to reproduce the bug, and if you can't, the conflicting plugin must be in the remaining set of plugins.

Write down reproduction steps.
    Figure out the exact steps to reproduce/trigger the bug. I need precise steps, and as much information as possible, because there are often many things that could be going on. An example of reproduction steps could be:
    1. Type /ma join
    2. Punch the Archer class sign
    3. Wait for someone else to join
    4. Punch the iron block
    5. Type /ma leave before the other player picks a class

Check the console window/server.log
    Make sure you check the server.log file for any MobArena errors or exceptions. If you find any, copy the ENTIRE exception (including all the lines that say "at com.garbagemule.MobArena...") and paste it (with the other information) in a CODE-tag here in the thread.

Donations:
    I develop MobArena for the fun of it and the positive feedback is all it takes to make me happy, but a few people have asked for a link, so if you're one of them, here's a link: Donate - You can donate as much as you want, even down to a few cents! If I get enough donations, I will spend the money on an extra Minecraft account to aid me in developing/testing/debugging MobArena :)

Changelog:

Version 0.94.3.24
    • Updated for CB 1337.
    • The repair-delay node is now unused! The reason for this is that it is now possible (with the release of 1317) to cancel block damage in explosions, and still retain the animation and sound! This also means that arenas should be fully pistons-compatible (for arenas that don't use soft-restore or force-restore)! I'm hoping to see some screenshots and videos of shifting arenas! :)
    • You can now right-click signs in the lobby! I finally found a super easy solution to the improperly updating inventory issue with right-clicking class signs. The result is that players can now left- or right-click as they please. This should solve all issues related to players not being able to choose classes, due to spawn region and WorldGuard/Factions/whatever conflicts.
    • It is no longer possible to warp out of the lobby.
    • New per-arena setting: final-wave - Allows for setting a final wave, meaning on that wave, the arena will end, regardless of how many players are alive.
    Version 0.94.3.11 (open)

• v0.94.3.11 - Updated Register, built against CB 1240.
    • v0.94.3.8 - Added basic leaderboards.
    • v0.94.3.6 - Fixed MagicSpells support - MobArena no longer supports MagicSpells pre-v1.1!
    • v0.94.3.5 - Fixed a bunch of bugs introduced with CB 1185, as well as a couple of minor MobArena bugs.
    • Updated for CraftBukkit #1185
    • Updated economy support (now supports iConomy 6).
    • Added the three new mob types, Enderman/Endermen, CaveSpider/CaveSpiders, Silverfish. They can be used just like the other mob types in the waves.
    • Endermen cannot pick up arena blocks (this is why).
    • Endermen cannot place blocks in arena regions.
    • The per-class permission syntax has been fixed and changed slightly. The Wiki has been updated (clicky).
    • Fixed MagicSpells issues.
    Version 0.94.2 (open)

• Redstone circuits now work properly in arenas.
    • Lightning now properly strikes on spawnpoints on special waves.
    • Fixed an issue where players somehow warping/cheating out of the arena world get kicked from the server when discovered.
    • Added MagicSpells support. Use the magicspells.yml file to ban certain spells from the arena either for the whole session, or only during boss waves.
    • Fixed the Heroes death conflict. MobArena and Heroes should now play nice together. Further Heroes support is planned for upcoming releases.
    • [COLOR=#1000000]MobArena will no longer support the discontinued Permissions 2.x and 3.x permission systems.[/COLOR] Recommended permissions systems include PermissionsBukkit (defacto standard) or PermissionsEX.
    Version 0.94.1 (open)

• Added two new boss abilities: 'shuffle-positions' and 'flood'. Try them out!
    • Players disconnecting/crashing during an arena session no longer get corrupted data files due to economy rewards.
    • Weapon durability is now correctly set to "unlimited".
    • Item sub-types (cocoa beans, bonemeal, colored wool, etc.) now work again.
    • Players can no longer join the arena without first picking a class.
    • MobArena now works with spawn-monsters=false again.
    Version 0.94 (open)

• Completely revamped the waves system! Undeniably the biggest feature in MobArena since multiple arenas in v0.92, the new customizable waves are guaranteed to bring much more awesomeness to your MobArenas. The waves system brings two new wave types, swarm waves and boss waves. The latter is a very elaborate feature, and the whole waves system has been given its own page on the Wiki. Note: MobArena will ignore all old wave settings, but use sane defaults.
    • Revamped the logging system. Instead of logging: true, you can now use logging: yml/xml. The logging system will now keep track of the last session only, but also maintain a collection of 'totals' for each arena. The idea behind these easy-to-parse files is making the stats available on server web pages.
    • Added SuperPerms/PermissionsBukkit support. Note that specifying mobarena.arenas.* and mobarena.classes.* probably won't work, but these nodes are given to everyone by default.
    • Added Spout support. Currently, the only Spouty thing MobArena does is print (some) announcements as notifications/achievements. This should limit the amount of "chat spam" that MobArena produces. Other Spout-features are planned, but don't expect something crazy. Note that MobArena does NOT require Spout!
    • Monsters will no longer target pet wolves. This is a major nerf to pet classes, but they were very overpowered as it was.
    • Fixed item amounts greater than 64 sometimes bugging out. You should now be able to put arrow:1024 for your Archer classes :)
    • Fixed players losing their stored items and/or earned rewards upon disconnecting from the arena.
    • Fixed blocks not restoring when burned by fire.
    • Fixed an issue with entry fees. They should no longer cause any problems.
    • Fixed slimes. That's right! Slimes that spawn as a result of bigger slimes splitting upon death are now considered arena monsters. This also means that Slimes no longer drop slime balls; as intended.
    • Revamped the repairing algorithm. It is now MUCH more sophisticated, and is capable of repairing not only signs and containers, but also torches, doors and beds. Redstone -should- repair properly as well, but it is still slightly buggy.
    • Added support for restorable containers. Registered chests, dispensers, and furnaces will have their contents stored upon arena start, and restored at arena end. This is useful for providing the arena players with chests with e.g. upgrades or food.
    • Added new commands (for the feature above) - /ma addcontainer <name>, /ma delcontainer <name>, /ma containers. These commands work much like the the spawnpoint commands. To add a container, simply look at the container and type /ma addcontainer <name>.
    Changelog (continued)

apes, chakyl, Steffion and 64 others like this.
  2. Offline

jamescosten

3. Offline

krypt2nite

Very nice addition to my server. Did some building tonight and everything is working as advertised.
    Here is what I've done so far. Inside a pyramid in the desert part of our world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Offline

Shanev

tried 803, resulting in a freeze, too. No error message at all in the console. Server continues to run smoothly but kicks players who fought in the arena.

But, don't waste time on this one, if you have better things to do, since I intend to update to 818 when all the plugins I use support it. :)

btw. veeery nice plugin!!! My players love it!!

5. Offline

kazak4x4

Hi, I tried /ma dooooo it hippie monster and nothing is getting spawned. I get a message to join or leave an arena. If I try to join the arena, the message says the MobArena has not been setup yet.

I haven't configured anything yet, but watched your video. Wanted to take the lazy/easy way to get this going first. Thanks for your help, looks like a great mob!

Alex

6. Offline

garbagemule

Updated to v0.87
    I fixed a good deal of bugs, but not quite all of them. I also added compatibility with Mean Admins by @Connor Mahaffey. The two plugins now work perfectly together. Commands that aren't recognized by MobArena are passed over to Mean Admins, if both plugins are installed. Support for various other plugins will come with v1.0, but I won't have time to work on it till the end of June, so I hope you guys can remain patient for a while yet :)

@jamescosten - Thank you so much for your excellent review! I'll take everything you said into consideration and try to fix the bugs and glitches you mentioned.

@krypt2nite - I am absolutely LOVING that setup! First arena I have seen with obstacles, and first arena that isn't completely flat. Very nice! I really, really love the lobby too!

@Shanev - If you can't get MobArena to work, then either you're doing something wrong, or I am doing something wrong. If you're doing something wrong, it's most likely because I didn't provide enough information to help you do it right! :) Have you tried disabling all other plugins, going to a random, clear spot, auto-generated an arena and checked if it's the same? I would like to know if maybe it is a conflict with another plugin.

@kazak4x4 - If you get the instructional message saying you can /ma join or /ma leave, then you most likely typed the command incorrectly. There are five o's in "dooooo". I might change it so "do" works as well. Maybe in the next update. For now, try and see if you can get it right :3

7. Offline

Chuckster

I am no longer experencing this bug after the update :) thx so much for such a fantastic mod

Is it possible to delete an arena or do i have to do it from the config?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
    garbagemule likes this.
  8. Offline

Rick

cant delete spawn in game

9. Offline

Chuckster

If possible could you eventually add multiple arena support

10. Offline

garbagemule

@Chuckster - There is currently no dedicated way to delete the arena coordinates, but /ma undo it hippie monster will delete all the nodes in the "coords" tree in the config-file, meaning it basically resets everything. If there is no precious.tmp (backup file), it will throw an exception (but nothing will break). So if you want to delete your arena without editing the config-file, simply auto-generate an arena, and then undo it. That will clear all the coords.

@Rick - The above method will remove the spawn (and all other coords), but you'll have to set everything up again. It seems that there is a problem with the YML-parser. I'll look into it, but for now, you can just remove the point (and its data) from the config-file, reload, and it should work just fine. Thanks for the bug report, though, I'll get right on it :)

Edit: @Chuckster - Multiple arena support -may- be a feature in v1.0. It adds a great deal of complexity to the entire setup, and requires changing around not only a lot of code, but also a lot of commands. I really don't want to make MobArena any more difficult to use, and definitely not more difficult to set up, as it already involves quite a bit of command fiddling.

11. Offline

Chuckster

Yea i understand how that can be and how many glitches it can create

12. Offline

garbagemule

Updated to v0.87.1

@Chuckster - I added /ma reset coords which basically just removes all coords from the config-file. The waves, rewards and classes are intact.

@Rick - I fixed delspawn so that it correctly removes the spawnpoint, and tells you which spawnpoints exist in the config-file, if it can't find the spawnpoint you typed.

13. Offline

woodzy

14. Offline

Rick

Is it possible to combine "after" and "every" in rewards? ex. after wave 10 you can get coal every wave, after wave 20 you can get iron every wave and so forth. Thanks for the plugin, I love it.

15. Offline

yocow

Thanks for trying to help, But Thats what I did. But its out of the way now. It was a problem with how I made the config file

16. Offline

BangL

needs multiworld support!
    if i am in the nether, and create a arena thru the "dooooo it"-command, it always creates the arena in the main-world, with same coords. thats bad, cause i have leveling plugins in the main-world activated, so my arena MUST be in nether or another world.

17. Offline

garbagemule

@BangL - Try putting a world-node at the top of the config-file, i.e. simply write "world: Bob" where Bob is the name of the world (the name of the folder with the world-files in it). It would probably be "Bob_nether". I haven't tested this, so I don't know if it will actually work, but it should. The world is assumed to be the "default" world on the server, but if you put that node in the config-file, it should use the specified world :)

18. Offline

MeinerHosen

AH yes, multiworld support, that would be nice.

This looks like an awesome plugin, though. My only complaint so far is the "dooooo" and the notifications. (i.e. "get some **** now"). Could the extra o's be removed to erase needless tedium or have another command with "do" added? And how can I edit the notifications, if able?

I'll be installing this anyway, as I've been looking for some arena fun on top of spleef.

Thanks for your hard work, it's appreciated.

19. Offline

Woogleball

Is it somehow possible that you can fight in the arena against Monsters with Monsters turned off in your server.properties? :)[diamond]

20. Offline

genfinternet

Awesome plugin man !
    Can you make something about wolf (i want to create the wolk-master class that give you a wood sword, some food (or maybe better and 2 wolve).
    anyway thx for that it's very fun =D.

21. Offline

Chuckster

Is the arena suposed to rebuild after a fight or what cause it isnt and my arena gets destroyed each battle

22. Offline

Zixt

I tried button:1 but it isn't giving people a button. Why is this?

23. Offline

garbagemule

@MeinerHosen - The idea behind the complicated auto-generate command is to keep it from being used unless absolutely necessary. It's only meant for testing purposes, really, as I prefer, suggest and recommend that everyone builds their own arena (and posts pictures in the thread!) :3 The notifications aren't customizable (yet, I may allow that later), but don't worry about the reward message. It has been changed many versions ago, and was really just a template for the real notification. No worries :) And like I told BangL, typing "world: worldname" in the config-file should allow you to specify which world to set the arena in.

@Woogleball - That's a feature I am very interested in implementing, but I'll admit I don't know how to ignore the properties-file. I'll look into it :)

@genfinternet - I may introduce a special "pet class" later, but it requires some tinkering, and it won't be until after v1.0 (which is at least a month into the future).

@Chuckster - If the arena region is properly defined (p1 and p2), and protection is enabled (/ma protect true), then everything should be protected against any kind of destruction. WorldEdit and WorldGuard may interfere with this. Someone else was having a similar problem, and it turned out to be WorldEdit messing stuff up.

@Zixt - Because the Material enum does not have a value called "button". What you're looking for is "stone_button". You can also use the item ID instead. I recommend using item IDs unless you know exactly what the enum values are, because (like you saw in the instructional video) the enum values are very easy to mistype/guess wrong (I typed iron_shovel in the video, when it was meant to be iron_spade).

24. Offline

Zixt

My suggestions
    1. leaderboards
    2. stackable rewards please.
    3. i added a builder class, can you add an option to have a timer before the mobs start spawning so that people can build a little fort?
    4. Add an option for the admin to end a game with a command? sometimes it bugs.

25. Offline

Ashenfield

First of all....love it.... :)
    My mind is reeling with the thought of building my own arena.

One issue I am having so far however with v0.84 on MC 1.6.6 is that after entering the command /ma leave the user loses all of the rewards gained from their inventory.

I'm going to try v0.87.1 as soon as I am able, but as I hadn't seen any other reports of this problem, I'm wondering if I'm just doing something goofy. As I am known to do from time to time.

Cheers

26. Offline

Jeffrey Morelos

Does this plugin conflict with essentials? Cause when I type "/ma" anything, it doesn't recognize the code.

27. Offline

garbagemule

@Zixt
    1) Will be featured in v1.0.
    2) Rewards and class items stack properly since v0.87.
    3) Customizable delay, interval and special wave modulus will be featured in v1.0.
    4) Good idea! I should be able to implement that. As a workaround, you may simply reload MobArena (or all server plugins), which should force all players to leave the arena, which again will force block and monster clearing.

@Ashenfield - Glad you're liking it! I can't wait to see your arena! ;)
    "Rewards" are the items you specify in the config-file. The reason monsters still drop items is just because I haven't gone around to disabling them yet. The items that you collect during the arena are not intended to be kept. It's not impossible to add it as a feature, but it probably won't happen till after v1.0.

@Jeffrey Morelos - I'm running Essentials on my personal live server, and MobArena works perfectly fine there. I don't know if there is an Essentials feature that I might have disabled, though. Try /marena or /mobarena, and if those two don't work, then MobArena isn't loaded. Try reloading/restarting your server, and take note of any exceptions thrown by MobArena in the server window :)

28. Offline

Ashenfield

To clarify, it is the rewards that are being stripped.

Code:
    rewards:
        waves:
            every:
                '3': feather, arrow:2, iron_ingot:2
                '5': sulphur:3, gold_ingot:3, glowstone_dust:2
                '6': coal:4, boat, minecart, ink_sack:2, arrow:4
                '10': cake, grilled_pork, apple, painting
            after:
                '12': iron_sword, iron_axe, iron_pickaxe, iron_spade
                '20': diamond:3, diamond_sword, diamond_pickaxe

29. Offline

Chuckster

IMPORTANT!!! make it so players can not place items in chest or drop them when in the lobby cause then people can cheat and put all the stuff in their chest and grab it later

30. Offline

Jeffrey Morelos

Still says Unknown Command
    Here is what the server window says:

13:43:59 [SEVERE] Could not load 'plugins\MobArena.jar' in folder 'plugins':
    while scanning for the next token
    found character '\t' that cannot start any token
    in "<reader>", line 21, column 1:
    spiders: 8
    ^

at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.fetchMoreTokens(ScannerImpl.ja
    va:360)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.scanner.ScannerImpl.checkToken(ScannerImpl.java:18
    3)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl$ParseBlockMappingKey.produce(Par
    serImpl.java:564)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.peekEvent(ParserImpl.java:163)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.parser.ParserImpl.checkEvent(ParserImpl.java:148)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.composeMappingNode(Composer.java
    :228)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.composeNode(Composer.java:160)
    :230)
    :230)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.composeDocument(Composer.java:12
    2)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.composer.Composer.getSingleNode(Composer.java:105)

at org.yaml.snakeyaml.constructor.BaseConstructor.getSingleData(BaseCons
    tructor.java:124)
    at org.yaml.snakeyaml.Yaml.load(Yaml.java:264)
    at org.bukkit.util.config.Configuration.load(Configuration.java:74)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.initialize(JavaPlugin.java:156)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.j
    ava:174)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugin(SimplePluginManager.
    java:194)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginManager
    .java:117)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:103)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:232)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:219)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:146)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:285)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)

31. Offline

Chuckster

actually i found a way to fix both my problems using residence :)