Inactive [FUN/MISC] Vegetation 3.4.6 - Wild Grass/Vines/Plants/Moss/Grazing Animals (Permissions 2.6+) [1060]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by zeff, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Offline

zeff

Vegetation: Wild Grass, Vines, Plants and Moss Growth! v3.4.6

This plugin implements the functionality of ejhopkins' Wild Grass Collection v15.2 server mod, as well as vines on trees, (partially working) lily pads and mini-cacti on land, mossy growth spreading on cobblestone and surface plant spreading functionality based on Master-Guy's PlantSpreader plugin. **Note that in order for the players to see the wild grass, you must install the client mod following the instructions found here.** Of course, the grass and/or plant growth can be disabled.

Now supports vines! See the latest screenshots in the list below.

Screenshots (I'm using Misa's HD Texture Pack):
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I didn't let much grass grow. I had it set too low for the demo screenshot.

[​IMG]
    Holy cow, that's seriously planty.

[​IMG]
    Single grow of a square of tall (10) grass blocks around me using the /gg 10 command on each block.

[​IMG]

This field was grown using /growfield 8.

[​IMG]
    ...and then mowed back down with /mow.

[​IMG]
    Nice pretty vines hanging down from this tree... (stock MC textures)

Features/caveats:
    Show Spoiler

• Placed plants (vines, cacti, lilypads) will sometimes (actually, semi-frequently) pop out and become plant pickups. This is an issue with the Minecraft server automatically doing its environmental plant-population algorithms. Until I find a way to circumvent this, your mileage may vary. Again, anyone is welcome to tweak the source code and make it work better.
    • To be able to plant flowers on sand or water requires a server patch.
      (see below)
    • Grass will grow taller. It can get pretty ridiculous. Without the optional client-side mod, players will only see normal grass blocks.
    • Specified animals will eat whatever grass they encounter, down by one level, on a timed basis.
    • Plants (flowers, mushrooms, cacti, canes, and pumpkins) will spread to nearby adjacent blocks of the same type.
    • Tall Grass and Dead Scrubs now also grow and spread
    • Growth will only occur during the daytime.
    • It will also only occur in the biomes set in the .ini file (see below)
    • It will also occur in all worlds hosted by a server, and only in chunks occupied by at least one player.
    • Configuration folder/file will be created if not found. To reset to factory defaults, simply delete the plugins/Vegetation/Settings.ini file.

Server Patcher:
    Show Spoiler

Bukkit Patcher (Download):
    If you want to be able to plant flowers on sand/water, you need to patch your craftbukkit version with the patcher provided here. However, putting flower blocks on water requires you to target the non-water block beneath the water block you want to plant your flower on. This is due to the way the client mod renders lilies, something I can not change. Bugs may occur if you don't plant them correctly, however there is no way your server map will get corrupted. In that case the client thinks there is a plant block on top of water while there actually is none. You will be able to see the "fake" lily but nobody else will, those fake ones will disappear once you relog.
    You may also use /grow flower to grow lily pads on water.

This patch will not corrupt your map in any way. If you don't have it installed, the server will just unroot all flowers previously planted on sand/water blocks. They'll just pop.

start_patcher.bat:
    @echo off
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar BukkitPatcher_0.0.jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause

Open the start_patcher.bat file and edit the highlighted portion to the name of your carftbukkit file. You have to put both files into the same directory as your craftbukkit.jar in order to patch it.

Commands:
    Show Spoiler

• /grow [type]: trigger a manual growth loop for the specified plant type.
      Valid types are: flower, mushroom, cactus, sugar_cane, moss, scrub
    • /mow: removes all grass within growthRange of player (see configuration) - it will reduce all tall grass blocks into grass-covered dirt blocks.
    • /biome: returns the type of biome the player is currently standing on. You can use this command to collect information on which biome the new tall grass blocks are placed in. Please post your findings in here so I can implement it.
    • /purge [type]: purges your map and removes vines and wild grass
      Valid type are: wild_grass, vines, tall_grass
    (Working on adding back the other commands / features)​

Configuration:
    Show Spoiler

• The configuration file (plugins/Vegetation/<your worlds name>.ini) looks like this:
    Code:
    /* Block Search Settings:
    growthRange=20
    verticalRadius=5

/* Vegetation Settings:
    enableGrass=false
    enableTallGrass=false

/* Set max grass height from 1-9
    maxGrassHeight=9
    enablePlants=false
    enableFlowers=false
    enableFungi=false
    enablePumpkins=false
    enableCacti=false
    enableCanes=false
    enableMoss=false
    enableLilyPads=false
    enableVines=false

/* If this option is set to true,
    /* moss will grow on any cobblestones touching water
    /* regardless if there was a moss block to spread from or not.
    waterGrowsMoss=false

/* Player related Settings:
    maxActivePlayerCommands=40
    spreadAmountFlowers=5
    spreadAmountFungi=5
    spreadAmountCacti=5
    spreadAmountSugarCane=5
    spreadAmountMoss=5
    spreadAmountTallGrass=5
    /* The player will trample a path through the grass if set to true.
    trampleGrass=false

/* ENTITIES:
    enableGrazers=false
    /* Sets max number of grazing animals.
    /* You should decrease this number if you encounter server lag.
    grazerMaxCount=10
    grazingSheep=true
    grazingCows=true
    grazingPigs=true
    grazingChickens=true

/* BIOMES:
    /* Enabled/Disables the growth of vegetation on
    /* certain biomes.
    growForestBiome=true
    growRainforestBiome=true
    growShrublandBiome=true
    growSavannahBiome=true
    growPlainsBiome=true
    growSeasonalForestBiome=true
    growIceDesertBiome=true
    growDesertBiome=true
    growHellBiome=true
    growSwamplandBiome=true
    growTaigaBiome=true
    growTundraBiome=true

/* EVENTS:
    /* The following parameters determine how many ticks of
    /* 100 ticks a specific type of action is being executed.
    /* (Example: If grassPercent is set to 60, there is the possibility
    /*  of grass growing at 60/100 ticks if a grass block is found 60 times.
    grassPercent=40
    tallGrassPercent=20
    plantsPercent=5
    mossPercent=5
    lilyPadPercent=5
    vinePercent=5
    grazePercent=10

• growthRange: width radius (from each player), in blocks, of horizontal block-checking and growth to occur - this affects server performance.
    • verticalRadius: height radius (from each player), in blocks, of vertical block-checking and growth to occur - this also affects server performance.
    • enableGrass, enable tallGrass, enablePlants, enableMoss, enableGrazers: self-explanatory :)
    • enableFlowers, enableFungi, enableCacti, enablePumpkins, enableCanes, enableVines, enableLilyPads: individually enable/disable growth types as needed. If enablePlants is set to false, these options will be ignored.
    • waterGrowsMoss: if set to true, any cobblestone touching water will become mossy over time. If moss spreading is also enabled, it will continue to spread from there.
    • grassPercent: percent of the time in which grass should grow
      (see also grazePercent below)
    • plantsPercent: percent of the time in which plants should spread
    • mossPercent: percent of the time in which moss should spread
    • lilyPadPercent: percent of the time in which lilypads should spread
    • vinePercent: percent of the time in which vines should grow
    • tallGrassPercent: percent of the time in which tall grass should spread

• growForestBiome, growRainforestBiome, growShrublandBiome, growSavannahBiome, growPlainsBiome, growSeasonalForestBiome, growIceDesertBiome, growDesertBiome, growSwamplandBiome, growTaigaBiome, and growTundraBiome: individually enable/disable growth in these biomes as needed.
    • enableGrazers: if set to true, then the mobs (if enabled with the following directives) will eat the grass down by one level.
    • grazePercent: percent of the time in which animals will eat the grass
    • grazingSheep, grazingCows, grazingPigs, grazingChickens: enable/disable the ability for these individual animal types to graze on the grass, accordingly.

Permissions:
    Show Spoiler

- 'vegetation.grow' - grants access to the /grow command​
    - 'vegetation.growall' - grants access to the /growall command​
    - 'vegetation.mow' - grants access to the /mow command​
    - 'vegetation.purge' - grants acces to the /purge command​
    - player command biome does not require any player permissions​

Download:
    Download the Plugin (latest version, JAR) v3.4.6​

Source is now at Github - most recent releases can be found under the test branch.​

Previous builds can be found here (and on Github).​

Changelog:

Show Spoiler

Version 3.4.6 09-August-2011
    * fixed Long Grass growing on sand and water upon chunk creation​

Version 3.4.5 22-July-2011
    * fixed playerlist for nether and skylands​
    * fixed possible memory leak​
    * fixed a lot of NullPointerExceptions​

Version 3.4.4 20-July-2011
    * vines will now vanish if a tree burns down​
    * tweaked tall grass spread a bit​
    * added option to purge command (wild_flowers will purge all sand flowers and lily pads)​

Version 3.4.3 10-July-2011
    * fixed vines turning back into sugar cane blocks (hopefully)​
    * vines decay now​

Version 3.4.2 22-June-2011
    * it should be possible to edit signs again​

Version 3.4.1 16-June-2011
    * fixed Wild Grass​
    * adjusted spreading of Tall Grass​
    * added more options for purge command (self-explaining)​
    * new algorithm for trample grass!​
    * Wild Grass no longer grows on the same block as Tall Grass​

Version 3.4 14-June-2011
    * added new purge command which removes vine blocks and resets grass blocks meta data (removes wild grass)​
    * vines will only grow on normal trees​
    * added Tall Grass aka Dead Scrubs, Tall Grass and Green Scrubs​
    * added settings check for the grow command, players now only can grow plants which are also enabled in the settings​
    * plants now only spread within their biome type​
    * enabled wild grass and trample grass again​

Version 3.3 06-June-2011
    * implemented Operator commands for those who don't have Permissions installed on their server​
    * disabled grass for now, pending investigation​
    * fixed plant growth explosion​
    * added "biome" player command, which will just tell you in which type of biome you currently in​

Version 3.2.2 20-May-2011 zeff
    * vines will no longer drop sugar canes​
    * player can now mow grass with hoes​
    * trampleGrass changed so that it appears more natural (kicks off with a chance of 40% now)​

Version 3.2.1 14-May-2011 zeff
    * fixed a nasty bug where plants, especially lilies would sometimes replace a block instead of growing on one​
    * flowers and mushrooms now only grow if the light level is appropriate​
    * fixed a bug with planting flowers on water​
    * red roses no longer spread yellow flowers​

Version 3.2 12-May-2011 zeff
    * separate setting files for each world
    * lily pads added​
    * sand flowers added​
    * performance improved​

Version 3.1.2 06-May-2011 zeff
    * Implemented thread-safe playerlist as preparation for multi world support​
    * changed default settings for first plugin run​

Version 3.1.1 02-May-2011 zeff
    * Cacti no longer spawn directly beside blocks which would unroot them instantly​
    * Sneaking players no longer trample down grass​
    * Minor bug fixes​

Version 3.1 28-Apr-2011 zeff
    * Animals can once again graze grass​
    * Implemented spreading ratio for flowers/mushrooms/cacti. This will prevent them from covering your whole map as they can only spawn in a specific ratio per area​
    * Vines are growing now once you enable them​
    * "trampleGrass": If enabled, players will trample down grass and create a path​
    * "maxGrassHeight": self-explaining​

Version 3.0 27-Apr-2011 zeff
    * disabled growall command since it's kind of useless the way it is now​
    * fixed mow player command​
    * disabled vines since they are not working properly and create lag​
    * added new setting option for player commands: maxActivePlayerCommands only allows a set amount of commands to run simultaneously​

Version 2.31 13-Apr-2011 w5i2
    * Recompiled against latest recommended Craftbukkit build #674.​
    * Fixed another pretty ridiculous bug in the plant growth player-getting subroutine, one which was seriously affecting performance. Should work even more as it was designed to work now. :)

Version 2.3 09-Apr-2011 w5i2
    * Recompiled against latest recommended Craftbukkit build #670.​
    * Grass grows through snow blocks now. Can't wait until 1.5 comes out!
    * Fixed a pretty ridiculous bug in the plant growth percentage calculations. Should work as it was designed to work now. :)

Version 2.21 01-Apr-2011 w5i2
    * Recompiled against latest recommended Craftbukkit build #617.​
    * Added the ability to have water cause cobblestone to become mossy. Only if the cobblestone is touching the water, obviously.. And of course, normal moss spreading can take over from there if you have that enabled as well.​

Version 2.2 30-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Updated to incorporate new features of Wild Grass 10.1+ -- vines!!
    * Changed growth percentages to doubles, so now fractional percentages may be used in the .ini file.​
    * Added HELL biome to the list of configurable biomes (see above)​
    * added /growvines # command. For example, /growvines 10 will grow ten random vines within growthRange number of blocks.​
    * added /vine # command. If you aim at any lower leaf block on a tree and type /vine 3 it will grow a single vine from that block, three blocks tall.​
    * Recompiled against latest recommended Craftbukkit build #602.​

Version 2.11 25-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Fixed the /growgrass # command handling. Try /growgrass 1000 and watch it grow!​

Version 2.1 24-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Improved the plant spreading code, now my world has way too many flowers. :) Still not seeing any cacti growth, but I do see evidence of canes spreading.​
    * Grazing animals now will only eat grass that is >3 in height. I will most likely add a grazeHeight setting to the .ini file.​
    * Added /gg, /growfield and /grass commands (see Usage above)​
    * Added optional numeric arguments to the /overgrow and /growgrass commands to temporarily change/set the grassPerGrow value to something higher if needed.​
    * /overgrow now has one plant cycle included per 10 grass cycles (unless growPlants is disabled, of course)​
    * /mow now sets the surrounding grass level to 3 instead of 1 (completely flat). If you prefer the completely flat look, you can use /growfield 1 to achieve the same effect.​
    * Removed the obnoxious "Updating player position.." spam from the debug logging​

Version 2.0 20-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Major rewrite of the timer task code. This should greatly help with CPU performance issues.​
    * /overgrow now only grows around the player who typed it, rather than all players. It also now runs 1,000 growGrass() cycles, and notifies you at 25%, 50%, 75%, and completion, since it takes a while to run.​
    * Rewrote the way the timer handles the growth tasks - now it is based on a 100-slot timeslot system, so grass/plant/moss/graze amounts can be specified as percentages.​
    * Removed a few unneeded configuration directives and added some others.​

Version 1.5 19-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Had the idea to add animal grazing. This should help keep the grass down. :)

Version 1.41 18-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Recompiled against the latest recommended Craftbukkit build #556.​
    * Fixed the cacti/canes growth.​

Version 1.4 18-Mar-2011 *it is recommended that you update to this version or newer* w5i2
    * Divided the moss, grass, plants, and block manipulation functions into separate Java classes.​
    * Added /growmoss command.​
    * Added mossEnabled and mossPerCycle to the .ini settings.​
    * Rewrote the TimerTask threads to be properly implemented (as classes instead of functions)​
    * Finally got the mossy cobblestone spreading to work​
    * I completely forgot to fix the cacti/canes growth, it will be fixed in the next release :)

Version 1.31 15-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Fixed a serious bug in which it would "grow" half-blocks into other types of half-blocks, or rotate stairs and rails. I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.​
    * Added the remaining biomes (sans Biome.HELL) to the configuration​
    * Apparently TimerTask asynchronicity is discouraged, so I changed the timer tasks to synchronous.​

Version 1.3 14-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Rewrote the looping routines again! They actually work properly now.​

Version 1.21 10-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Rewrote the looping routines to be a bit more efficient.​
    * Fixed a couple more mathematical bugs.​
    * Discovered and implemented the nifty Block.getRelative(BlockFace.UP) method.​

Version 1.2 10-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Added /overgrow command.​
    * Recompiled against latest recommended Craftbukkit build #531.​

Version 1.1 10-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Fixed flawed multi-world checking code. :)
    * Fixed flawed block-checking code.​
    * Added more configuration options.​
    * Added more biomes in which growth may occur.​

Version 1.0 09-Mar-2011 w5i2
    * Created plugin.​

Teteros, Sphax, kahlilnc and 2 others like this.
  2. Offline

zeff

The client mod seems to be discontinued since notch implemented a lot of the plants himself, for example vines. I am not really sure why I should continue to work on this mod.

3. Offline

drakcore

The ability to grow/spread vegetation opposed to pre-generated adds a lot to a dull static environment.

*update

Perhaps focus on the in game vegetation and no customisation.
    Make the grass, shrubs, flowers and trees spread and the crops (wheat, melons and pumpkins) grow.
    All configurable to be enabled/disabled and rate of growth/proc%/etc.
    To lower the CPU/core usage why not take the idea from keepgrowing/tkeepgrowing which only updates the chunks you occupy from the time you were last there for crops + vegetation/trees as well.
    Also additionally trees/vegetation spread while you occupy the chunk+possibly extra chunks around which could be configurable. (proc %, distance from tree a new shrub sprouts, etc).

Is it also possible to use another entire core/thread just for the plugin?

4. Offline

Raptor2213

I second what this guy says. ^

P.S. This mod is broken in the current 1.0.0 dev build.

5. Offline

Jdbye

I used this plugin for a long time, but removed it because of several reasons, firstly that tall grass is now part of Minecraft, and people being unable to remove wild grass where they don't want it to grow annoyed them, secondly that the other growth features of the plugin caused uncontrollable plant growth, and thirdly that vines still showed up as reeds for people who didn't want the Wild Grass/Wild Vines plugin (and even dropped reeds when broken).
    However, now that vines are also a vanilla MC feature, have you considered adding support for vanilla tall grass and vines to this plugin, or making a separate plugin for it? I would love to have vine growth on trees outside of swamp biomes, and I couldn't find any plugin that does that.

6. Offline

seanth

Would it be possible to include more mobs as grazers? I'd love to have it so creepers can remove growth everywhere they go.

7. Offline

milp

Could you please add this for trees too? I have the feeling that this just isn't complete until trees regrow and multiply on their own aswell.

Just combine something that makes them drop saplings randomly and something that plants them.

There's plugins for that but none of them work, or they only do half the job.

8. Offline

drakcore

This plugin has been abandoned use the distant farm plugin now, does close enough generation and it keeps getting new features.

9. Offline

milp

Thank you but how does that compare? Isn't all that new plugin does simulate farm growth even in player's abscence? This plugin much rather made plants autoplant and replicate.

10. Offline

drakcore

Hmm maybe you looking at the old "distant farm" plugin and not this one? CHDistantFarm
    It grows all crops now and also saplings while you are away/chunk unloaded and re-calculates on the time you away for the growth/until the chunk is active again making it very optiminal.
    Only thing that is missing is grass/tall grass and spreading of the plants/grass.

I will ask that creator if he is interested in tackling the remaining features of this plugin into his.

11. Offline

milp

Oh yeah, what i was actually needing was a plugin that makes plants act more realistic, as in spreading on their own, dropping seeds/saplings that replant. So a clearut forest will eventually regrow on it's own in a realistic way. This plugin did the job for some plants, however it was missing the trees, which are the most important aspect of it all. Also it had some codewise problems, resulting in bad performance over time.

12. Offline

sintri

Well zeff's gone and gone plus this hasn't been active in ages, anyways anyone know of another vegetation spreading plugin?

13. Offline

Rhak

I've been looking for that feature for ages now. I want trees/forests to spread, this would be so much more realistic and awesome :p Doesn't seem to be out there yet...

Mercury likes this.