Inactive [FUN/INFO] DeathNotifier - BUKKITDEV

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Geoff Winans, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Offline

Geoff Winans

DeathNotifier - Broadcast Deaths!

DeathNotifier is, for now, a very simple plugin that has no external requirements. It does not use, nor care about, Permissions of any sort.

This is the first official release of this plugin and is the official Death Notification plugin for the GoMinecraft server.

Features:
    • It broadcasts deaths with a (random) message!
    • You can customize the messages and even add more for each mob type!

Now on BukkitDev!
    >> Click Here <<

_LB likes this.
  2. Offline

Limstal

^ Having the same thing.

3. Offline

Geoff Winans

Interesting. Checking..

More fail. I forgot to add the write() for the Spider node. Also updated the version in the config file.

Should work now, re-download!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  4. Offline

Limstal

Trying to edit the config in notepad has been the source of all my problems. #moron
    Will provide feedback on 0.8 right after I do this the right way! :oops:

EDIT: Will provide feedback right after I do it the right way tomorrow, 5am is time for sleep..

5. Mind if I join the fray?
    Geoff, you forgot PigZombies too ...
    I absolutely love this plugin and we made a whole-server effort to come up with a ton of phrases for you (including spiders and pigzombies). I added the PigZombie to the config, it stops the exception, but still displays a selected pig message.
    Here is the combined effort of our server. Note you'll have to rename the file back to config.yml ;) Enjoy!
    http://www.4shared.com/file/2yaF_1Av/deathnotifier08config.html

6. Offline

Geoff Winans

Indeed I did.

I think I rushed a bit on this plugin. I'll try to get the remaining problems fixed up shortly!

7. Offline

Limstal

I can't download that where I am currently but a catalogue of good phrases sounds pretty good :p
    My personal favourites so far are
    'A Skeleton had a bone to pick with %player%.'
    '%player% went out with a bang.' (for TNT)
    '%player% reminds us all about Creepers' explosive personalities.'

Oh puns, I never get tired of them 8)

EDIT: Oh man, pigzombies! I can't wait to use the phrase Ham Shambler in an automated message :D

8. Offline

Geoff Winans

I'll add a link to a custom config.yml with kjhf and your changes!

Should be fixed up in a few minutes, just cleaning up a few things and doing a quick test.

I added your config (with some small changes/spelling corrections) to the main post as a sample config.

It should work fine now. I did some testing on my own test instance and pig zombies were returning the correct messages.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

9. Offline

Limstal

CB Up to Date just downloaded a new version of DeathNotifier, I grabbed it - what do I put in the 'version' field now? 0.8 and 0.8.2 are both throwing up exceptions, 'NoSuchFieldError: version'. Halp!

Checked OP. Aderrrr... Wait, no, 0.8.1 isn't accepted either.

10. Offline

Geoff Winans

It's not a fatal error. I didn't catch it on the test server <startup flew by too fast>.

I'm releasing 0.9 shortly. For some reason changing the 'version' variable in DeathNotifierConfig.java from a Double to a String freaked it out. I, along with a few others, are stumped as to why. So, going back to a Double and will just do full version updates until I find a better way to deal with version numbers.

Guess who happens to be a noob java dev? Me!

The version info in the config.yml is also relatively useless. For now.

11. Offline

jacquelinesmind

I am having problems. I try to add in - '&E%player% &2is puppy chow' but every time I save I get this in my config.yml

DeathNotifier:
    version: 0.8.2
    PVP:
    - '

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

12. Offline

Geoff Winans

What are you using to edit the file?

Can you post the config.yml on pastie.org? (Please don't use pastebin - it messes up formatting).

13. Offline

Limstal

I'll stick around for 0.9 then, it's failing to load because of that version problem, right after I got my clients together to test it :p
    Any ETA?

EDIT: Now it's loading, but it displays every death message for that enemy at once when somebody dies.

14. Offline

Geoff Winans

Limstal, that would imply there's a missing (or extra) quote somewhere that it shouldn't be.

The plugin is incapable of returning every message at once.

15. Not getting the error Limstal is, but the Zombie pigmen are still being labelled as zombies.

Limstal: I'll be happy to check through your yml.

16. Offline

jacquelinesmind

http://pastie.org/2301541

I am using MCMyAdmin. My server hoster is servercraft. I'm really new at mods so I'm sure it's just me messing something up.

17. Offline

Geoff Winans

Delete your config.yml for DeathNotifier and restart it. Please check the log for any startup errors.

Fixed in 0.91. Will update the post - but it's updated on github, so snag it from there!

18. Offline

jacquelinesmind

not exactly sure what to look for so I'm posting my chat log

http://pastie.org/2301596

19. Offline

Geoff Winans

Did you check to see if the config.yml was correctly written?

Or are you still seeing the same problem?

20. Offline

jacquelinesmind

It it written correctly to my knowledge but once i edit it with what I want to put it does the same deal. Should I pastie the config.yml before I edit it?

21. Offline

Geoff Winans

Don't edit it with MCMA.

Use a text editor (such as notepad++, not windows notepad). This sounds like MCMA is having a problem saving the file.

22. Offline

jacquelinesmind

Thank you so much Geoff! It works!!!! You are so nice! I wish more developers were as patient as you.

23. Offline

Limstal

Got super distracted but thankyou for your nice offer! So here it is
    I haven't updated to 0.9 yet, but if there are mistakes I'm making in the config and not spotting then help would be appreciated..
    http://pastie.org/2301823
    I was getting the 'every message' problem with zombies, skeletons and spiders, so I assume it's all of them. Gonna update now!
    EDIT: Just spotted I messed up the %player% in the zombie text, but I would guess that's a different problem seeing as skeleton came before it.

Ignore the multiple-messages problem I was having, turns out every time I re-downloaded the plugin and told it to overwrite it, it was creating multiple jars. Sorry for accusing your awesome plugin of having bugs caused by my own stupidity :I

24. Confirmed fix, good job ^.^

25. Offline

spunkiie

Hi,

Still using and loving this plugin. But, I saw today my console spaming alot of:

2011-08-03 15:50:33 [INFO] Damage Message:

I guess this is probably due to my disabled messages, right ? What can I do to stop these messages from console ?

TIA

26. Offline

Geoff Winans

That's not DeathNotifier.

27. Offline

spunkiie

Are u sure ? It only happens when I enable DeathNotifier :(

28. Offline

Geoff Winans

My apologies. I added a notification of the dmgMessage variable was empty. Totally forgot about that.

If that's appearing, then people are dying to an unknown cause. It should only appear when someone dies to.. an unknown cause (that doesn't fit with any existing NPC or a 'null' value.

When you say -spamming-, do you mean occasionally appearing or just unleashing hell upon the log? There could be another plugin doing bad things to the Entity_Death event.

I'll remove it and update, though seeing the message means something is very wrong.

29. Offline

Limstal

Is using the /kill command supposed to re-use the last cause of death to determine which message should be displayed? I thought that that was what the 'Unknown' section was for - If it's working correctly, then what is Unknown for?

(Thanks for all the continued help, the plugin is working perfectly as far as I can tell :p)

30. Offline

Geoff Winans

Unfortunately, using /kill doesn't set a kill message (returns null).. and if they died previously, /kill will display the last death cause.

I have not found a good way around this. I believe this is an issue that needs to be dealt with either in Bukkit at some level or within the minecraft_server.

31. Offline

Limstal

Ah, alright. Not a big deal really, but then what's Unknown for?