[FUN] Citizens v2.0.11 - Human NPCs for Bukkit [1.7.2]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by Citizens, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Offline

Citizens

Citizens - Human NPCs for Bukkit
    Version: 2.0.11
    Authors: @fullwall and @aPunch
    Source: Citizens on GitHub

Citizens is now on BukkitDev

This thread will no longer be updated. We encourage you to use our page on BukkitDev. You can find information, links to our wiki and website, and the download page there.

Showing Your Support

We work hard to maintain Citizens. We've been working on Citizens2 around the clock on new and exciting features. A little motivation never hurts, so feel free to donate to us - fullwall and aPunch.

If you can't donate, we appreciate a "hello" every now and then. Stop by the IRC channel #citizens on irc.esper.net to discuss Citizens and give thanks!

2. Offline

Nachocuban

@JoshP95 @Mephestrial you are using an out of date citizens, it has been fixed in later builds.

3. Offline

aimbotxx

Totally Disagree

This plugin is the best, all its features are what makes it amazing. My RPG Roleplaying Server Runs off this plugin.

<3 Fullwall

ThijmenDF and ohmydoddtv like this.
  4. Offline

ohmydoddtv

Am I the only one that's having no problems on my 100+ npc's world? :eek:

5. Offline

Sygnus

So, for confirmation. Does the plugin work correctly now? If so, where's the latest build?

6. Offline

ZNickel

what I did to rsolve this issue was to delete the folder and jar and redownload. It was easy since little was the only one on the server

7. Offline

aimbotxx

After Lots of Testing, I think I found out

This is For the Fixed version.

In the First 30 Seconds the Map Generates Random Chunks, After that The Map Does Not Generate Random Chunks anymore, It will generate more again when you restart your server for again 30 Seconds then Stop.

I have Found Away around this Bug, Start your server let it Generate random Chunks for 30 Seconds It will only spawn a few. After that Your map Will no longer grow in Size or Lag, Because the Chunks are not spawning anymore.

This is why Users say it is Still Broken but it is actually mainly fixed..

They Just run there Server for 5 minutes then after that 5 Minutes they can see some extra chunks, They think that they have be generating the whole time but really they stopped after 30 seconds.

Fullwall Has Fixed the Major bug, There is Just a Minor One in where the first 30 seconds of start up, it will still spawn Random Chunks.

I hope this can help you, Fullwall

8. Offline

aPunch

With our API, it is possible to make Citizens modular. We could have the core Citizens plugin, with NPC-type addons. This would cut down on memory usage and allow server admins to avoid downloading NPC types that they have no use for.

On another note, I plan on starting to add MySQL support shortly. Any suggestions for database structures are welcome. The more I get, the quicker and easier it will be to finish this major feature that is needed badly. :D

9. Offline

Nachocuban

using the test build, with the onofficial 1.7.3 CB from twitter, causes server timing out. ( know its not the RB, just an FYI

10. Offline

morizuki

ok found the error that i was talking about

Code:
    2011-07-09 04:36:08 [WARNING] Task of 'Citizens' generated an exception
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.citizens.Utils.MessageUtils.getStackString(MessageUtils.java:161)
        at com.citizens.Economy.ItemInterface.getCurrency(ItemInterface.java:145)
        at com.citizens.Economy.EconomyHandler.getCurrency(EconomyHandler.java:368)
        at com.citizens.Utils.MessageUtils.getPriceMessage(MessageUtils.java:143)
        at com.citizens.Utils.MessageUtils.getStockableMessage(MessageUtils.java:157)
        at com.citizens.NPCTypes.Traders.TraderTask.sendStockableMessage(TraderTask.java:300)
        at com.citizens.NPCTypes.Traders.TraderTask.handlePlayerClick(TraderTask.java:209)
        at com.citizens.NPCTypes.Traders.TraderTask.run(TraderTask.java:104)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.scheduler.CraftScheduler.mainThreadHeartbeat(CraftScheduler.java:137)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:438)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:361)
        at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    it seems that when two to three players are right clicking the same NPC it gives that error then they can get the items for free.. when they close the inventory of the NPC.. and right clicked by another person or the same person it will say one at a time..

11. Offline

Insanehero

Before I installed 1.0.9b I wiped my old citizens file and replaced it with 1.0.9b. I made about 30ish NPC's with 1.0.9b and then 3 days later all of them are gone. I had done restarts and such during that time so I know thats not the problem. Infact, my npc-profiles and empty :confused:. Someone please help me solve this problem.

12. Offline

Nachocuban

Update, if I do a clean install, deleting all the old files (and forgetting to back up my NPC's D: ), it works fine.

13. Offline

ThijmenDF

As long as you wont make MySQL NEEDED for it! I had to install it when i first tried out NPCX: it was an mess. first i didn't even knew what MySQL was... the only thing I knew about it that it made NPCX work.... after installing it, crash reports were all over my screen, while I was following the steps someone else made.
    Later, I deleted and de-installed everything with the name MySQL, because it made a hell lot of crap!

So PLEASE dont make MySQL needed! I beg you!!!! :'(

14. Offline

DetCox

i see someone read my post THANK YOU!
    i would love to test any MySQL features you come out with (i'm not to sure how database structures should be but ill let you know if I have any ideas). MySQL would be great, im trying to move all of my plugins over to SQL as it is an easier transition for me after running a WoW server.

15. Offline

efstajas

The new update is awesome, but sometimes, my npcs start walking in a loop between the last waypoint and the one before the last one after they reached the last waypoint once.

16. Offline

ohmydoddtv

Could this be possibly causing the server to randomly crash? Mt server keeps randomly crashing and I need to track the source :)

17. Offline

Psycho Robot

Its possible that this plugin is crashing your server. Its also possible that unicorn farts are crashing your server. Without more information, no one can help you.

ohmydoddtv likes this.
  18. Offline

ohmydoddtv

Well I don't have any information to give, the server just stops with out any console logs or anything, I was just wandering if there was a known issue with this causing the server to crash :p

19. Offline

Chris Herbert

Just make sure the MySQL version can do an auto import of the flatfile

20. Offline

Psycho Robot

I would recommend you remove one plugin after the other till the crashing stops. The last plugin you removed is likely the culprit. Inquire in their thread as to why that may be. Asking "could this plugin cause crashes" is not a very good way to go about solving your issues, because they answer is always "yes, but probably not".

21. Agreed. If you need your code to be simple and free of duplicated parts for different data methods then at least have SQlite as an option, then you can treat it as SQL without preventing half the admins from using the plugin. And all of the advantages are there in how you work with the data, since its not a database about all 2 million people who play minecraft, you dont *need* SQL for the storage of efficiency; you only *need* it so your code for finding or editing an npc becomes one SQL command and not some code to read from the 500 config files you currently have with the associated risk of programming errors.

In fact, suggestions-wise: Put all the config options in one text file and all of the npc info in one file. Read the whole thing in and store it however you like in memory - you are NOT going to run out of memory holding 100 npcs in there - then save every x minutes, have a force-save command, have a /reload data command for when people manually edit stuff. And you're done. But at the moment the file format looks like a high school project where the teacher is all OCD about tidyness and doesn't actually program. In my servers web interface, I have to go thru 12 screens loading different files just to learn what I can about npc#35 that vanished. If it was in one file - yay - and btw sort that file by npc numbers not just in some random order. In fact, have a /npc renumber command that goes through them all from 1 and fills in all the dumb gaps from deleted ones, so if I have 6 npcs they'll end up numbers 1-6 not 1,5,8,12,32,33.

Hope those ideas help. Keep up the good work, I'm dying to add loads of npcs and traders once it feels safe.

Take Care,
    Corum.

ThijmenDF likes this.
  22. Offline

Chekkaa

I know they're doing this for free. I know they have other things to do. Yes, the Citizens team does deserve credit for their work. But that doesn't mean we have to act all happy when the next update rolls around and crashes everyone's servers. I'm not trying to be an ungrateful asshole. I'm trying to spark some change.
    Maybe I'm just unlucky then, because every time I update this plugin, it's horribly broken and causes loads of lag and crashes.
    That would be amazing. :D

ThijmenDF likes this.
  23. Offline

carb0nxl

Hello,

I have a small question that I haven't been able to find an answer to on the Wiki. How can I increase the range that NPCs talk to when close? Ever since the latest build, I've noticed that NPCs have a much closer proximity now. Rather than being able to talk to my NPCs behind "counter-tops" I have to get on top of the counter and face them very close to talk to them.

24. Offline

REQUEST for aPunch, fullwall etc: is it possible already or can it be added so that you can whitelist with a guard by permissions group instead of individual players? this would be AMAZING! thanks for your awesome plugin! it is a major draw for my server :)

25. Offline

masasuka

I can confirm, at least after about 20 mins, that the issue seems resolved, even with EvilNPC's enabled and pirates enabled my test server hasn't generated any random chunks.

I will point out 2 things about the file you put up for testing, creating NPC's is free (I assume this is for testing purposes...) and Pirates generate NPC's in their own ID thread, so I ended up having 2 npc's with the id 0 (piratebay, and test1)
    Taming of EvilSeph did work, he was added to the NPC list as NPC ID:11 which was correct as my last generated NPC was npc 10

ThijmenDF likes this.
  26. Offline

Sharpie-o

Ok, seems to work if you make a fresh install of the Citizens (no files from the previous version), but I keep getting the "you don't have permissions to use that comand" when I do "/npc help" or any other command. I already have the "citizens.admin" permission in my config and all... :S

27. Offline

ferretlegs

Hi, I can confirm that both the chunk generation and memory leak problem is resolved on my server with this latest build. Will continue testing and advise if any issues but have not encountered any so far except the proximity talking bug that has already been reported. An extra dollop of awesomesauce for the citizens team!

ThijmenDF likes this.
  28. Offline

dddbliss

Running 953, having a problem with npc's randomly despawning. I have noticed this behavior on several servers. Any idea why random npcs will just up and disappear?

Also, as for the API, right now it is pointless since you have defined "toggle" modifiers that keep new npc types being toggled. Please see this Issue: https://github.com/fullwall/Citizens/issues/117

This currently prevents new npc types from being toggled.

29. Offline

Clucky

Im sorry, but what does this mean:
    Code:
    22:56:06 [INFO] [Citizens]: Invalid location length. Length: 1

30. Offline

fullwall

@dddbliss - thanks for the report, I will fix.
    @Clucky - an npc has an invalid location in the npc-profiles.yml. I would guess that you're using 1.0.9a and need to upgrade to b and reconvert.

31. Offline

ThijmenDF