Free vps?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by bear29ht, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Is paying for a vps woth it?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. If you have a big ser

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

bear29ht

I was wondering if it was possible to get a free vps. I looked it up and tried to find one. I here a lot about getting a free vps by ads in a forum signature, but I have never found one. Does anyone know where I can find a free vps. I looked all around freevps.us, youtube, and many more, but cannot find a working one. Help is appreciated!

2. Offline

JohnTheRipper

No. Go buy one, you can get them cheap if you dig deep enough.

3. Offline

Nathan C

It is really not worth it, even if you can.

Would you really trust all your data on a FREE VPS? I know that I sure as heck would not.

4. Offline

Lolmewn

Free vps can't be a good one :confused:
    I mean, they have to make profit with it :O

5. Offline

Torrent

Just pay for one?

6. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

7. Offline

Royal_Soda

I went to that (^) site and found this one. EXTREMELY cheap, 1 gigabyte for $10 p/y. Don't expect quality service or not to have a horrid connection. Remember, getting a quality VPS at a quality host is always worth your while. But even so, the most you could lose is $10 for a whole year. :)

8. Offline

Vhab

Read that again, that's 10 a month when paying yearly.

9. Offline

Royal_Soda

Ohh. :-P

10. Offline

bear29ht

hmmm, well I found this one, and I was wondering if it was a good deal. please click the link and look at the comparison. It is $6.62/month, and 2.5gb disk-space, 100gb bandwidth, 64mb dedicated RAM, and a pretty good choice of OS.

11. Offline

FearGrump

You want a free VPS so you can DDoS on it? lol

12. Offline

Royal_Soda

bear29ht
    If your looking to run a Minecraft server, that isn't for you. Only 64mb of ram?! Atleast be decent and get 1gb of ram. If you can take up a $16 monthly fee, I know a Minecraft host that will work for you. :p

13. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

You can have my VPS for free if you give me 39.99/month.

Daniel Heppner and Royal_Soda like this.
  14. Offline

bear29ht

i thought I would need at least a gigabyte, anyway. What is the host?

And 39.99/month isn't free. I was looking for something a little cheaper.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  15. Offline

Royal_Soda

Check out MCLayer. If you get their 1gb package, and add the promotional code 'MCGallery'.. You can afford the server for $16 p/m. Great host.

16. Offline

bear29ht

Could I import my server?

Do you think I could make enough money on ads, and signatures to pay for it?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  17. Offline

Royal_Soda

bear29ht
    You can make money off of donations. Use the money for the server and your set. :p

18. Offline

tom

Hi @M1sT3rM4n

19. Offline

Vhab

Nope.

20. Offline

mrlwiggy

Use these people - bhost.net
    They are easily the best VPS company in the world - powerful VPS for low prices, with a 99.99% uptime. Their support is fantastic. I know these guys are good from experience (I've got 3 VPSs with them :p )

21. Offline

josip1

Anyone who thinks 99.99% uptime exists is kidding themselves. Yes it exists, but you need to pay more than triple the price of a standard vps.

If you can host in the US why not a dedicated server for 29$ a month from datashack.net, 2gb of ram :)

22. Offline

ledhead900

Personally the only real way to host for 60 players + is to build your own rig own all your own gear and rent a dedicated line near or in the country you wish to host for, this does mean u do need to Ship all your gear to a data Center room and you will probably never be allowed in there to fiddle so you will need all your pre setup remote software installed and pre organized ports forwarded before moving your gear there.

I shun the idea of paying to rent a virtual environment but that's just me since they say its specs but you don't actually get all of that bandwidth most of the time the bandwidth is shared and so the line they have is saturated your probably only getting 100mb's out of that 10gb's fiber line they would have.

One thing to mention is that when you rent a VPS all they have done is exactly what I just said above, and are now re renting it to you.

But if don't rack gear probably not even worth sending the rig over, at the very least you would want a meaty PC setup with a server board and duel Xeon Cpu.

Me I just use my 1mbs up connection works fine for 20 - 25 players and I'm happy with that, I will eventually just buy a dedicated server board setup and then collocate (Rent a dedicated Line).

I have been hosting since early alpha at home its only improved over time I have QOS setup and all of that only thing I need is UPS really for my gear but there exp as bugger to get one powerful enough to give me 20min of uptime for 3 rigs + accessory, I would probably need a UPS for each rig if I wanted to be cost effective about it and I don't really have the power points for that lol.

Anyway hope the info helps.

Oh I leave u with one last tip if your still heart set on a VPS.

Ideal Specs or turn away
    Cpu: I7 - Xeon (3ghz+ and Quad Core)

Ram: 8GB-16Gb

OS: Linux or Windows Server, Does not really matter Linux is better out of box but Windows Server can be just as good if it is configured correctly for its purpose.

Storage: 50gb-100gb in some sort of RAID,(Ramdisk,SSD for worlds though), honestly there is No excuse to give less then 50gb these days with the price of TB Hdd's and all being so low.

Connection Speed: 1gb's-10gb's Shared or not is not going to hurt that much as even at 100mb it will run fine with 60 players provided you - yourself do not mess up plugin installs and make sure that everything plays relatively nice with each other and that you DO use proper stability improvement plugins.

Anyway that's about it, something like that should handle what ever you throw at it I don't buy into the fancy wording on specs used on these VPS renting sites its all bait and sell, in reality it does not work the way they make it sound. Duel core or Quad makes near no difference since the extra cores are only to give Java more threads for plugins that do use multi thread and for Java itself.

MC as in mobs and all the high load stuff that does bog a server down all runs on a single core so my point it very well validated and if you don't understand anything I have said I suggest you do some research.

23. Offline

Vhab

@ledhead900 You don't 'port forward' in a data center...

What happens is, you bring your machine to the data center (after making an appointment), they'll walk you to the floor and probably will put it in a rack and plug it in for you.
    Usually you're given some time with a local monitor and keyboard to make sure the connection is setup just fine and you can access the machine remotely.

You don't "send" your hardware to them, you deliver it and usually even be present when they hook it up.
    You don't "port forward", your machine has a dedicated IP and will be directly connected to the internet.
    You're not "never allowed" in the server room. If something breaks you can either request them to try to fix it (they might charge if not included in contract) or drive up yourself and request access to go fix it (usually you're not left unattended in the server room though).

I appreciate the enthusiasm to tell people about colocated hosting, but at least get your facts somewhat straight before you do.
    Also, a VPS is fine for most servers, even fairly high end servers.
    It's not impossible to host 60 users on a VPS.

24. Offline

ledhead900

I never said it can't be hosted with 60 players I said it would be fine.
    Explain why I would not need to setup some open ports on my rack's Firewall ?, How else am I going to get remote access to the SQL server's from other Ip's. Why would I not send it ?, sometimes I just don't feel like hauling 100kg + of stuff in a van for 2 days-5 days that is if I was setting up racks and not just couple of box's, what if you don't even live in the area where you hosting it like its overseas. Personally I'd rather just post up and then take a flight or what not as needed or pre setup stuff in a lab then just go up if I need to actually change something important, note that dame ware remote soft is usually pretty good at doing almost anything important.

True tho they probably would let you in? didn't know that I thought being private re seller and all it would be offl limits and I would need to arrange them to check things, I have never collocated so you would have to excuse the somewhat minor in accuracy's, I plan to I did not say I had any experience dealing with them personally, I figured they would have some sort firewall to protect their clients that is where I was coming from with the port forward stuff, maybe they don't maybe its up to me to supply my own firewall blade.

Even so if it was a direct connection to the internet I'm sure you would still need to configure the local binds so that the data is sent to the correct server in the rack. I can't see it just being plug and play, how does the setup know if when I send data on port xxxx to go to IP ? If I don't configure something to give it directions.

Anyway I probably should do more reading on it myself, My ideas were in the right place though, Self learner here, learn by doing mostly. At least I learned more today and that's good enough for me.

25. Offline

Vhab

@ledhead900 Nope, at a data center you just plug in the network cable and use the IP the company assigned you.
    That's all you need to get the box online and for it to be reachable from the outside.
    As for a firewall, you're expected to either install your own software firewall or supply a hardware firewall yourself.
    You can always opt to just not have a firewall as well.

But yes, you should read into these things.
    It's generally a bad idea to give advice when you don't really know what you're talking about :)

26. Offline

mrlwiggy

Over the past 8 months there has been no network maintenance, and the one node migration that had to happen was within 5 minutes.

27. Offline

ledhead900

I knew that data center was better for competent users and I knew that VPS's are usually shared virtual environment's ;), I just did not know exactly how the setup process works for collation, Anyway thanks for the advice now I do know and wont be speculating on that matter any more.

I was suggesting that if you had multiple boxes that your own firewall hardware would need ports assigned I may be wrong about that too but I have never had the chance to play around with that type of setup. Will definitely research the matter and yes I probably should only really stick to the subjects I do know are correct in future.

28. Offline

Survivorman

http://aws.amazon.com/ - the Free Usage Tier, completely free Windows and Linux servers. You get 30GB of hard drive space and 600MB/RAM. That's very generous, don't expect anything better for free. :p

29. Offline

fraone

30. Offline

MrMag518

If you first gona buy a host provider, don't buy a VPS(Virtual Private Server) buy a VDS(Virtual Dedicated Server) or simply Dedi.

A great host provider is SingleHop.
    http://www.singlehop.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.