Floods (plugin)

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by mack bandy, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mack bandy

This Plugin will be where when it rain in a hole or flat land long enough will cause floods with the rain.

How this Will work is when you get a storm if it raining more then 5 min then you will start to see some floods popping up

If you want to suggest anything please do because if i don't get good review will just trash it

nevermind i see this plugin will be useless if anybody thing that it could be useful i might make it

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  2. Offline

Plague

Hmmm, well I like the idea, BUT:
    • wouldn't it be heavy on the server? You know for every player, check the surroundings for holes in the ground (how big?) and fill them with water
    • if you only want to fill holes, it's not flooding
    • if you want to flood fully, you could create a damn mayhem

3. Offline

Sammy

It's not useless, its an awesome idea, but plague is right it would be way to resource heavy...

4. Offline

Spl1tz

Ideas
    - Is it possible to make it flood only in the area the Player is?
    - I like the idea of setting a time, what the OP said. Configurable.
    - Make it so that the water added on the world (the flood) is counted/logged, that way when the sun shines the flood dries up. Maybe timed too?

Just some ideas :)

EDIT: OP, if this was done i would put it on my server ;P

5. Offline

mindless728

i was thinking of adding this to RealFluids as a separate plugin, though i don't have the time to code it up and since the update some of RealFluids is bugged

EDIT: seems it was the build i was using

6. Offline

zeff

You can limit the checks to say 1-3 players at a time, that would limit the weight on the server. That's not that big of an issue imo.

7. Offline

Plague

So only some players get floods? that would be strange.

8. Offline

zeff

Create a list of active players and create a nextPlayer function. After that you create a runnable tasktimer which cycles all active players (one by one) an executes a block search for - let's say 200 cycles - each player. With this the server shouldn't overload regardless of how many players are online. The tasktimer only activates when a weather change event occurs.

Edit. This should be fast enough to cover all players. You don't need to check all of them simultaneously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.