[FIX] Minecraft Version Changer v18.0 - Changes Minecraft Client to Different Versions

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by flippit, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

flippit

Minecraft Version Changer - Changes your Minecraft client to different versions
    Version: v18.0

Ever had problems connecting to your favorite Bukkit server after a Minecraft update? Minecraft Version Changer allows you to easily change your Minecraft client to a different version, to match the version that is supported by the server you wish to connect to.

Features:
    • Simply select the version you wish to change to from a list and its done!
    • Option to download the latest version so you can always restore your client to the latest release
    [​IMG]

Download:
    http://flippit.ath.cx

Changelog:

Version 18.0
    • Added support for Minecraft version 1.3.1
    Version 17.0
    • Added support for Minecraft version 1.2.5
    Version 16.0
    • Added support for Minecraft version 1.2.4
    Version 15.0
    • Added support for Minecraft version 1.2.3
    Version 14.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to 1.1
    Version 13.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to 1.0.0
    Version 12.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.8.1
    Version 11.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.7.3
    Version 10.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.7.2
    Version 9.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.7_01
    Version 8.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.6.6
    Version 7.0
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.6.5
    Version 6.0
    • First public release
    • Supports Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.5_01
    Version 5.0 and earlier
    • Pre-public release versions

2. Offline

Afatsum

Isn't this against the TOC of Minecraft? Or does this check if you got a legit MC?

3. Offline

flippit

Hi Afatsum, thanks for your question. Minecraft Version Changer is not distributing working copies of the Minecraft client. Minecraft cannot be played just by downloading MVC - it will only work if a previously installed copy of Minecraft already exists on your computer.

For more info see the FAQ page at http://flippit.ath.cx

4. Offline

shadrxninga

@flippit
    This isn't a "Bukkit Plugin" - you should move this to here

5. Offline

Juze

Moved.

There are many patchers already, I like MCNostalgia.

6. Offline

flippit

7. Offline

flippit

Version 7.0 of Minecraft Version Changer has been released, with support for Minecraft versions up to Beta 1.6.5

8. Offline

Tyres

pls integrate 1.6.6

9. Offline

flippit

Minecraft version 1.6.6 Beta is now supported with the release of Minecraft Version Changer v8.0

10. Offline

Daniel Few

@flippit
    A couple of questions:
    1. If you have mods installed, are they kept? (I understand that they may not work with the build, but are they deleted?
    2. Saves? What happens if you have a save on a later version, and you downgrade.
    3. Does it just replace the .jar?
    I can see this being VERY useful when I'm testing updating my server :)
    -DanJames

11. Offline

flippit

Hello Dan, thanks for your interest!

1. minecraft.jar is the only file changed by MVC - after a version change this will be the originally released version file for the version of Minecraft you have selected. Any modifications you might have made to this file by applying client side mods would be lost, however no other supporting mod files are deleted or modified in any way.

2. MVC was written to assist when using "Multiplayer", in order to overcome problems connecting to Minecraft servers running different Minecraft versions and it does this very well. When it comes to "Singleplayer" there may be a map format issue in some cases, because early versions of Minecraft used a different map saving format. So a map created in a recent version of Minecraft may not be useable when opening it in an early version of Minecraft. I have not done any testing with regards to this. The occasional times I have opened a saved world in a different version there has been no obvious issue. My recommendation is to use MVC to return to the latest version when using "Singleplayer" - I think most users playing "Singleplayer" would want the latest cool Minecraft features and so would want to switch back to the latest version when playing anyway.

3. Yes.

12. Offline

Daniel Few

Thanks for your response and clearing that up for me :D
    Yes I will be using this :p
    -DanJames

13. Offline

68x

Hey there flippit. I'm just warning you that you shouldn't give out the Minecraft .jar files. Thee files are copyrighted to Mojang ...

To demonstrate such a thing, one can just go to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\flippit\Minecraft Version Changer

or C:\Program Files\flippit\Minecraft Version Changer

They will instantly have access to the .jars

14. Offline

flippit

Thanks 68x for sharing your point of view. Minecraft Version Changer is not distributing working copies of the Minecraft client. Minecraft cannot be played just by downloading MVC - it will only work if a previously installed copy of Minecraft already exists on your computer. Markus Persson (notch) from Mojang has been provided details of MVC and how it operates. This issue is further discussed in the FAQ section on the MVC site at http://flippit.ath.cx.

Walker Crouse likes this.
  15. Offline

Windwaker

pwnd

Darky1126 likes this.
  16. Offline

flippit

Minecraft version 1.7_01 Beta is now supported with the release of Minecraft Version Changer v9.0

17. Offline

flippit

Minecraft version 1.7.2 Beta is now supported with the release of Minecraft Version Changer v10.0

18. Offline

flippit

Minecraft version 1.7.3 Beta is now supported with the release of Minecraft Version Changer v11.0

19. Offline

maetthew

So this is only Windows right?

20. Offline

flippit

Hello maetthew,

Yes you are correct, only Windows is supported.

Regards,

flippit

21. Offline

ashour

very nice very nice

22. Offline

Celeixen

Thanks great App... the only problem that i have is that i need to re-download the whole program each time, to update, and the only difference is a 1mb jar file. You could just host the jars on a ftp drive and have the application update just by downloading the new jars.

23. Offline

flippit

It's a good suggestion Celeixen, one I haven't considered so far. The app package has been slowly increasing in size with each Minecraft update. It's still under 20MB at this stage but I will think about your suggestion as the size of the package will continue to slowly increase as future Minecraft updates are released.

24. Offline

Celeixen

Also i was thinking that you could probably get this to support mods as well, the simple way would to include the mods in the package because each version of MC would require a different mod version. I have a few other ideas if you are insterested

25. Offline

flippit

Celeixen,

Any ideas or feedback you have are always welcome. If you would like to, send me your ideas using the email address shown on the MVC website at http://flippit.ath.cx and I would be happy to read them.

flippit.

26. Offline

JamesShadowman

@flippit
    Hey, Dude, I support MC Patch Controllers All the way. But.... This is Indeed Illegal. I am not a jerkface, and I will not report you, but distributing the Minecraft.jar is Illegal. I was able to use it to Launch Minecraft, on a computer that had never ran Minecraft Before. Sorry, but you'll need to find another method of Patching/Unpatching.

27. Offline

flippit

Hello JamesShadowman,

I do not believe this is possible, please go to the Minecraft Version Changer website and send details of how this was done to the email address shown for feedback.

The legal issue has been raised before, and I thank you for taking the time to share your concern. This issue has already been addressed in earlier posts in this thread.

flippit

28. Offline

JamesShadowman

@flippit
    It is indeed possible with a Method I came up with. I'm not going to announce it, but it is possible. (Some of the Files Notch Distributes aren't his own.)
    If you'd like, I can give you video evidence of how to do it. And it is against the terms of use to Distribute the Minecraft.jar, actually, it is illegal. I read the earlier posts, and MCNostalgia doesn't patch the same way yours does. MCNostalgia simply edits the Binary Text, yours gives you jars.
    I'm not going to report you. I just think you should fix it. I'm not against you, there are people who aren't.... mature enough to listen to the other's argument and start spamming hate.
    I'll tell you privately how I launched Minecraft from the jar from a Computer that had never ran MC before, if you swear not to tell anyone.
    Oh, and by the way, I visited your website.
    --EDIT--
    Oh, and you told Notch about this? Then, if he has no problem with the Jars being distributed, neither do I! I've heard it's illegal. Just to help protect you from Legal issues, just in case, may I help you come up with a new way that will not just replace your current jar, but edit it?

And also, as another suggestion, make it to where you don't have to install it. I used UniExtract to get the files from the msi.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  29. Offline

Baummann

Suggestion: Make it a Java program so it's a cross-platform program. I'd like to use this but I can't run it on my mac ;)

30. Offline

Celeixen

It just replaces the jars btw, so you can just download them from the net, also haven't tested it but this could work with Wine (windows applications on mac) but it would read from a different directory i think, so it might just randomly place the files.

Btw Flippit you can get rid of that annoying icon in the form settings, Showicon = false . Just makes it look a little nicer.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.