File Approvement is.... yeah you know.... -.-

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by fredlllll, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think technically they HAVE to decompile it or to build the source and run some comparison tool for it. Otherwise it is too easy to state source and compile something completely different. Also people that intend to abuse are likely to not show their code.

Yes, extending those is what i opt for, rather than changing the one-by-one-human-drive-approval mechanism.

2. Offline

MyPictures

As example SafeGuard: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/safeguard/
    @xDrapor already told me that he will obfuscate it because he doesn't want the public to see how his plugin works. Anyways, he has to take a look at this rule then ;P

3. Offline

Gravity

Just because you don't want to show your code doesn't mean we still can't review it for safety (and we will, too)

4. Offline

gomeow

h31ix
    Just curious, but how many files/projects do you think you have ever approved?

5. Offline

Gravity

11,910 as of today.

6. Offline

lol768

How many of those have been malicious?

7. Offline

Gravity

Harder to say since I don't have an exact member, but looking at my deletion activity, I'd say possibly 150-200? Maybe more, it's not easy to say.

8. Offline

lol768

Wow, quite a few more than I would have expected. I'd have thought people wouldn't bother trying if they knew every file was decompiled.

MrBluebear3 likes this.
  9. Offline

Gravity

People aren't very bright. You have no idea how many times I've seen someone steal code and then say "I worked really hard on this" after we prove to them it's stolen.

MrBluebear3 likes this.
  10. Offline

gomeow

That is quite the number

11. Offline

lol768

Ctrl + C can be a lot of effort sometimes :D. Maybe they were confusing their effort with someone else's.

zachoooo, MrBluebear3 and kroltan like this.
  12. Offline

gomeow

Do people ever copy and paste the whole code?

13. Offline

TnT

More times than you think.

This post is getting very offtopic. Lets keep it relevant please.

h31ix likes this.
  14. Offline

Gravity

I feel like BukkitDev is kind of a play on rule 34; if you can think of something incredibly stupid beyond all reason that a normal human being would exert, you can find someone (probably 2) that has done that on BukkitDev. You name it, we've got it.

np98765, hawkfalcon and lol768 like this.
  15. Offline

Adriani6

Hmm, I've been waiting for my file to get approved for what.. two weeks or more ? still not approved, I decided to delete it, and re-upload it, but I wasn't allowed. It said something like I can't upload the same file two times ? Hmm.

16. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

You deleted your file 8 hours after uploading it. You cannot upload the exact same file twice, so make a small change so that the file will be different.

17. Offline

Gravity

Mmmm no you haven't. To my knowledge, there's never been a file that's taken longer than 24 hours to approve, unless there's an issue in which case you would have recieved a message about it from a staff member.

18. Offline

Adriani6

Oh right, sorry.

19. Offline

chaseoes

As of today:

[​IMG]

:confused:

This normal and should I just sit tight, or is something up? (Project name TF2).

20. Offline

Uniclaw

the only thing I do not like int it, is the decompiling. Why? If a Plugindeveloper writes a new, big, Plugin (like WorldEdit), with an awesome idea, WITH the licence All Rights Reserved, then, why must the Team decompile it? Because, if in the team is a "Black-Sheep", wich steal the Idea, it's not sooo good :/

21. Offline

Wolvereness Bukkit Team Member

Although it is not being actively enforced, you should read up on the implications of the GPL license for the software you are compiling against.

lol768 likes this.
  22. Offline

dark_hunter

Hmmm, don't talk about times and how long it takes, they will take you under there wing and give you a wedge.

23. Offline

Uniclaw

Oh, sorry :/
    But one Problem is still there - the Idea..

24. Offline

Gravity

We're keeping you and all the other server administrators incredibly safe with all the work we do, please don't complain about it; you really don't know the amount of time we put into this as volunteers.

EDIT: Also, none of us have any intention of stealing ideas... Until you can prove that's happened, it's not even worth saying "what if" because it's utterly ridiculous.

25. Offline

Uniclaw

Yeah, your right :D Sorry :(

26. Offline

lol768

So legally all plugins must be released under a GPL compatible license? Does that mean that technically servers which use custom closed-source plugins (e.g. MineZ) are violating the GPL? Or does it only cover plugins which are being distributed?

27. Offline

TheBeast808

If they're distributing a closed source plugin, then I believe it is violation. However, under the GPL you aren't required to release the plugin.

lol768 likes this.
  28. Offline

bergerkiller

I seriously agree with the current policy. Yes, it takes long for approval sometimes, but that is a good thing. It encourages developers to fully test their plugin before uploading it, because they know that if it has big problems, they can't just upload 12 sub-versions. In my case it is also very useful, as it allows me to remove a download if I find out it has a big problem 2 minutes after uploading it. Believe it or not, but it happens very often.

Note that you can actually let others download your plugins that are awaiting approval. I usually put a direct link to the download in the comments. One thing I dislike about it, however, is that it is not directly obvious that the plugin is still awaiting approval. All there is to see is a small piece of text in the plugin information. BIG RED TEXT(tm) should be used instead, as it properly warns people that it has no yet been checked.

JazzaG likes this.
  29. Offline

Gravity

We totally agree with you, and we've had discussions about how to fix that. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to add something like that.

30. Offline

xXSniperzzXx_SD

When you guys(Staff) upload files do you get to approve your own? Or does someone else need to approve it? And yes i know kinda off topic but it just poped into my head :p

jorisk322 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.