"External" Player can't join, falls through world, downloading terrain

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Harsesis, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Harsesis

Hello Community,

I'm running a Bukkit Server on my homeserver. Localy I can reach the server without problems. I can play without any issus. A friend of mine want's to join over the internet. First this worked without any problems. But now, there appears problems. Sometimes he hangs within "Downloading Terrain". Next time he spawns, but falls through the world and than he disconnects. We allready have tried deleting all data and starting with fresh configuration and world, without any result.

Any ideas?

2. Offline

Harsesis

No ideas? I tried it out myself over internet and i got the same problems like he had. The world get "loaded" realy slow, i can't interact, i got disconnects...

3. Offline

zipron

can you reach your server from the outside for other things? for example a file server or something like that? because we cannot know exactly what the problem is reading the info you gave I'm afraid... If you can reach your server from the outside, that means or there is a bukkit problem, or your ports aren't forwarded correctly but I doubt that last one.

So more information please =)
    zip

4. Offline

Harsesis

Hi,

yeah sure the server is reachable from the outside. I have other services running there too, without problem (TS3 Server, Webserver, ...). No problems with that, I also can JOIN the server, so i see parts of the world, but something seems to go wrong than. I have a NAT rule for the server port (25565 TCP/UDP). Is there another port I need to forward?

5. Offline

zipron

25565 is standard MC port.. I don't know what could be wrong, if you say the world loads realy slowly, that could mean your server is too slow. I don't know the specs you have, but I run a bukkit server, TS3 server and a private WoW server on a 64-bit linux machine with 2Gb RAM and 1.2MHz processor. It's a small server though, but it runs it perfectly with less then 20 people online.

maybe your internet connection isn't fast enough? I cannot think about any other problems because you say you can log in.. it seems to me that the chunks take too long to load (that would eplain the long "world loading" time) and the reason why you get auto disconnected after a while

I realy cannot think about any other problems though..
    zip

6. Offline

Harsesis

I run a i5 2400 with 16GB ram, with ESXi, the virtual Machine that is running the MC server can use on core and 4GB Ram using Debian 64bit. The VM only run's MC on a separate HDD. Also i have DSL 16000 connection.

It's very strange, i have changed my mainboard this weekend and switched from XenServer to ESXi (server virtualization). With the old setup (but with MC 1.8.1) everything worked fine. After the changes and the upgrade to 1.0 the problems appears...

7. Offline

zipron

ok, no hardware problems, you've convinced me =D
    1.8 works? I'm afraid you'll have to wait for a new RB then, or try downloading a dev build? maybe that solves the problem? http://ci.bukkit.org/job/dev-CraftBukkit/

8. Offline

Harsesis

Ok i have tried that out, i have downloaded the latest build and started a complete "fresh" setup, but without result, now it's "hard" for me to join too (in local network). I needed 10 tried to connect, external player also still have the same problem! Any other ideas? :/

Edit: Ok I tried arround a bit and now there works nearly nothing... even when i join localy I can't "edit" world now, it's like the world "laggs" (it loads nice, but is not editable)

9. Offline

zipron

not being able to "edit" the world could be because you're near the spawnpoint and not an OP. It's a very strange bug, and I'm not a bukkit developer, so I don't think I can help anymore =S wich I could though, but maybe you could mail one of the developers about this problems, because it seems that it's a problem with the craftbukkit build and not with you because 1.8 can run normally.

I'm sorry cannot help
    zip

10. Offline

Harsesis

Yeah you are right with the "edit" issue, I allready found out by myself :D. I think next I will try to downgrade everything to 1.8.1 and than see if that works, if then everything is fine that must be a problem with craftbukkit!

11. Offline

TnT

This is likely not a problem with CraftBukkit. Problems like these don't just affect one person only, so if it was an issue with CB, there would be lots of complaints. Try the latest RB and see if that works.

I'm suspecting it could be either a network issue or a bandwidth issue. Try using a different network adapter for your VM, either E1000 or the vmnet3.

12. Offline

zipron

but why wouldn't it happen when he runs 1337 build? If it's a problem with his bandwith, shouldn't it also happen when runnen that version?

zip

btw TnT: something happend with this guy: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/server-crash.50121/#post-857669 He has another problem but also when he upgraded to RB for 1.0.0

13. Offline

TnT

He also switched from using Xen to ESXi along with trying the new builds. I suspect he would have the same problem if he tried 1337 again on his ESXi setup.

14. Offline

zipron

oh what is Xen and ESXi? I'm a noob I'm afraid

zip

15. Offline

TnT

Basically he changed his vm hypervisor. Quite a significant change, imo, hence suggesting he also look there for potential problems.

16. Offline

zipron

Thanks for pointing that out =D I can never know enough ^^ so yea, maybe you're right and it's causing problems indeed =)

zip

17. Offline

Harsesis

Hi TnT and thank you for your help, let me point out a few things:
    - It does not only happen to one person, I tried it out myself from external location and had the same issue
    - It's strange, becaus localy it works perfect, but over internet it doesn't(could be bandwith BUT that worked before and there was no change => strange xD)
    - I have also thought it could be the new virtualization, so performance lags or so (but again, local connections work fine?!)
    - I could try using some other adapter, I can check that out mybe this weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.