Exciting announcements for both Minecraft and Skyrim!

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by Dinnerbone, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Dinnerbone Bukkit Team Member

We have two exciting pieces of news for the Bukkit community today!

First and foremost, we'd like to officially announce that Curse is extending their Author Rewards Program for BukkitDev. What does this mean? This means that soon plugin developers will start earning points for the plugins they upload, which will allow them to earn money or cool swag! We'll give you more details as they come, and let you know when this program goes live.

Our second announcement is regarding Skyrim: Curse.com is giving way $15,000 dollars to modders! The first 35 uploaded Skyrim mods that meet the approval guidelines in each of the four main categories, will earn some phat loot to line the pockets of their authors! Mods must be uploaded to skyrimforge.com by December 15th, and meet all criteria established by Curse moderators. You can find more information here.

tips48, jblaske, BlueMond416 and 2 others like this.
  2. Offline

aPunch

How much money are we talking about here? ;)

3. Offline

nonox97

WEEE

TheHox likes this.
  4. Offline

Deleted user

FANTASTIC! Too bad it's only Skyrim mods, not minecraft mods.
    3rd post :D

TheHox likes this.
  5. Offline

BlueMond416

That sounds awesome ;)

TheHox likes this.
  6. Offline

For World of Warcraft, I know people who live off it. But, this isn't WoW, and we can't really say until it happens - the revenue that goes towards the MC mod community is the revenue that comes from any MC related site, like adverts on mc forums (I believe - I may be entirely wrong!)

7. Offline

Fishrock123

By start earning points does that mean only downloads or whatever after after it comes into effect will be counted?

8. Offline

gamerguy14

if this is the case than just update the plugin.

Is bukkit becoming a profit organization now?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  9. Offline

King Rat

Got Skyrim 7 hours ago, and only just stopped playing it. And I'm happy just riding a horse up a mountain, let alone fighting dragons. How on earth am I supposed to have time to create mods?

10. Offline

NuclearW

Is there any literature on the rewards program we could perhaps read? I found a link via google, but it seemed to be marked "legacy" so I am doubtful as to that particular document's correctness.

11. Offline

Grum Bukkit Team Member

No, do you see any banners? :)

Some years ago the same thing happened for http://wowace.com. Over the last 2.5 years Curse has given over $500k USD to WoW addon authors.

How it works on wowace.com, you earn 'points' for each 'install' of an addon (which they track through the curse-client) relative to all installs of all addons. The points are used to buy items in their store, which right now consist of Amazon giftcards (in EUR, USD or GBP) or $500 paid to your paypal account.

Curse displays the Bukkit plugins on their main website (http://www.curse.com/server-mods/minecraft) and through that generate pageviews. As a thanks (as they did for wowace) they give back part of the earnings to the community (you the plugin makers!) who made those pageviews possible .

For all parties involved I'd consider this a win :D

12. Offline

lukegb

Points for Bukkit mods will be based off the popularity of the projects, which will be a combination of general website statistics and the download count.

13. Offline

WNxRev

Oooh, I like it.

14. Offline

Lolmewn

Woah, didn't expect this one.
    Amazing work!

15. Offline

MG127

maybe you should mention that the bonus program is only avaible for curse premium members and that costs money
    edit: ok it seems to be free, but this system is not new, the only thing is that its free now

ZNickq and M1sT3rM4n like this.
  16. Offline

EssentialsTeam

So a "broken" update plugin that downloads the file every hour will skyrocket your earnings. :D

17. Offline

It'll likely be based on installs, not download count or comments or such. How many people use your plugin. But again, we're not finished finalizing the details, do not take this or any other comment as an official "this is how it's going to be", until we give out a good plan.

Incorrect. You can use it to buy premium, that's the only relation there is.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  18. Offline

Phiwa

Nice annoucement, but now enough reading. Let's start Skyrim after it was placed on my desk for two days without being played. :p

19. Offline

Samkio

The Construction Set for Skyrim is not out yet is it not?
    I don't suppose the CS atm will work for it.
    Will have to wait if not.

20. Offline

ZachBora

What language would Skyrim plugins be in? WoW is in Lua, Minecraft in java (duh).

21. Offline

EssentialsTeam

Another note: If we break a plugin into 20 parts, does every plugin get earnings, so that we would get 20 times more than one plugin? ;)

22. Offline

SpaceManiac

Both Morrowind and Oblivion use a proprietary scripting language and Construction Set, so I doubt Skyrim will be any different.

23. Offline

OrtwinS

So Craftbukkit will have to compile a plugin list on every server, and send that to somekind of central server, together with a unique ID code.
    Wont it double count for server restarts? when will a registration 'time-out' (like, I can let my server run for 2 weeks without restarts, does it still count?)?

How will that work with servers who move to different hardware/other IP adress?

What about plugins with the same name (like someone made a private plugin that by coincedence has the same name as an existing plugin)?
    Will every plugin get assigned some unique plugin ID code? how will that work with plugin updates? Or the plugins that have been transferred from dev to dev?

24. Offline

Again, we have not finalized any details. We'll have it all figured out when it's all figured out, please be patient :)

25. Offline

ZachBora

Also need to think about servers with more or less players on and private servers that won't be able to sent internet data. I don't think we'd want to give points to when a server is using the plugin but with nobody on it. Then again, that depends on the plugin : could be a plugin that generates things automatically and needs nobody to be on it.
    No matter what we do, someone somewhere won't be pleased, but that's inevitable.

26. Offline

We will of course have an option to disable contribution to the rewards program, disabling any statistics/etc.

27. Offline

ZNickq

How do you plan to stop all the plugin stealing, and tnt blocker plugins, which are going to show up as soon as money is involved? :p

Butkicker12 and jblaske like this.
  28. Offline

Freezy

Troll mode activated: I'm not buying skyrim untill the lawsuit vs Mojang is dropped

Suing a start-up company is just not cool when they did nothing wrong (scrolls != skyrim) (and even offered to completely cave in, e.g. change the working title)

29. Offline

thehutch

So roughly how many views/installs or whatever do we need to get to be paid X amount? and how will this work? Because I dont have paypal (yet)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.