Error Failed To Bind To Port

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by DudeGuyManPerson, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently updated my server to the most recent bukkit release, so it would run with Minecraft 1.4.7. However, now whenever I try to start up my server, I get this message:
    20:41:36 [WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
    20:41:36 [WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    20:41:36 [WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

However, I only have one server, and I always make sure to type "stop" to turn it off when i'm not using it. I'm sure its not on whenever I try to start it up, so why do I keep getting this message? Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    DudeGuyManPerson

2. Offline

c0mp

DudeGuyManPerson Is your server-ip line blank in the server.properties file?

3. Offline

AyshineMatt

Like what c0mp said, if it is NOT blank, delete whatever is on the field. What you're doing when entering the IP on the server.properties is binding the port 25565, or the port provided, to only your IP provided.

If that doesn't work, and you're on a Windows (7) (XP) hold the following buttons: CTRL+ALT+DELETE. Depending on your OS, click "Start Task Manager", or the Task Manager should immediately pop up. End processes to files that use the phrase "java". What this does is ending "hidden" or "backgrounded" applications from running behind, which might be your problem.

4. xiMatt My server-ip line is blank and I tried closing any processes, but there were no extra files running. Could there be any other possibilities? Should I post any other information that would help out?

5. Offline

AyshineMatt

Hmm.. Usually the possibilities I gave you should of fixed the problem. If the following doesn't work, I'm clueless:

Go to your router on your browser. (Sorry if that term isn't correct.) For example, mine is http://192.168.1.1/ , but your's could be different. Log in. If you haven't logged in or done this at all, the default passwords to most of the routers are "admin" as username and "admin" as password, without the quotes. I highly suggest you to change the password later, but anyways on with the instructions. Click something related to the following phrase: "Port Forwarding". It should give you a list of ports that are opened. Hold "CTRL+F", depending on your OS. (If you're on a Mac, "Command+F") In the box provided, type "25565". From there, delete all ports related with "25565". This is closing the ports "25565". After, reopen them, and try running your server.

If you're on a Mac, I highly suggest this. A lot easier :)

DudeGuyManPerson likes this.
  6. xiMatt I have been using Port Map, but I restarted my computer and it's working fine again. Hopefully this won't happen again, thanks for your help.

DudeGuyCraft - dudeguycraft.no-ip.org
    Currently in Test Stages!

7. Offline

AyshineMatt

No problem! :)

8. Offline

mountainlion88

i just had this happen with 1.5, and I just went into activity monitor (i'm on a mac), and stopped every process that had to do with java, and it works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.