[EDIT/FUN/SEC] VoxelSniper v5.019 - Flexible Long-Range In-Game Map Editor [BukkitDev]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by Voxel Box, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Offline

Voxel Box

2. Offline

josiah42

That sounds terrific. Is VoxelSniper open source? I'm a developer myself and I just wanted to quickly enable Block 36 as a valid block to paint. I didn't actually find any source online. I thought Block 36 would be useful for a project where I wanted an area to be cast in shadow. It'd also be useful for invisible walls. It would also be useful as a place holder block for drawing in something then doing a mass replace to a common block type and knowing you're not accidentally changing/deleting something that was already there. I figured it would be a quick code change just to try it out.

3. Offline

przerwap

Actually that has nothing to do with code, just add it to the plugins/VoxelSniper/items.txt

As for this block 36, I've never actually been aware of it, and I can tell you that I will make many a person happy by showing them this guy.
    As for what the hell this block is, my best bet (and first thing that came to mind as to why the hell there is a hidden invisible block) is that Notch added this to replace the extended piston with this block so that block like sand and gravel don't fall though the piston which is not a block when moving.

Oh derp, It was the block with the grass tile on it in you inv. Nevermind not being aware of it :3

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  4. Offline

Voxel Box

We generate the entire map in advance, wall it, set borders, and delete the chunks in the middle. Thanks for your input and concern, however.

5. Offline

przerwap

And it's not like it doesn't take less than 5 min to assign a Chunk Generator that doesn't actually generate anything ....

6. Offline

Voxel Box

VoxelSniper 5 introduces significant under-the-hood improvements, streamlining the number of brushes while increasing the number of brush options.

VoxelSniper5 brings a significant reorganization of how brushes are designed and accessed. Previous versions of VoxelSniper were very inconsistent in how to access related brushes. To place a ball of blocks, one used to type /b b then switch to /b ib or /b ibr or /b br depending on exactly how the blocks needed to be manipulated. The devs of VoxelSniper realized that this was confusing to Snipers, especially as many brushes (the line brush, for example) didn't have an ink version when it seemed they should. VS5 now separates the code into two parts. Brushes determine WHERE blocks will change (such as in a ball shape) whereas Performers determine HOW blocks change (such as ink or no-physics). The benefit of this change is that any brush that can possibly use a given Performer (such as ink) does so from the outset. Performers are changed by adding the Performer name (short or long) after the brush name in the /b command.
    • Ex: A "plain" ball brush is /b b s (the s stands for set)
    • Ex: An "ink" ball brush is /b b i (the i stands for ink)
    • Note: Some brushes, such as the erosion brush or the monster brush, do not use Performers as it would not augment their functionality.
    The following are the basic Performers that will be used the most often.
    • Set (s) - places voxel material
    • Replace (r) - replaces one voxel material with another
    • Ink (i) - places data values
    • Ink Set (is) - places voxel material and data value
    • Ink Replace (ir) - places data values on a specific voxel material
    • Ink Set Replace (isr) - replaces a specific voxel material with another voxel material and data value
    The following Performers allow for brushes to ignore Minecraft's phsyics engine. Three dimensional brushes (such as the ball brush) may not work well with these Performers.
    • Set No-Physics (sp) - places voxel material, no physics
    • Replace No-Physics (rp) - replaces one voxel material with another, no physics
    • Ink Set No-Physics (isp) - places voxel material and data value, no physics
    • Ink Replace No-Physics (irp) - places data values on a specific voxel material, no physics
    The following Performers circumvent graphical glitches associated with sniping certain materials (such as tallgrass) or in certain conditions (such as no physics). These Performers can be VERY laggy at large sizes and should be used with caution.
    • Ink Update (iu) - places data values, graphical update
    • Ink Set Update (isu) - places voxel material and data value, graphical update
    • Set No-Physics Update (spu) - places voxel material, no physics, graphical update

7. Offline

kahlilnc

Hm for some reason. (have no clue why) I cannot use any brush it just says when I click on a block it says block set to (what ever you clicked on) and right click is replaced (what ever you right clicked on)

How do I reverse this?

8. Offline

przerwap

How about you stop crouching?
    >_>

LeonBlade likes this.
  9. Offline

kahlilnc

Oh herosneak XD

10. Offline

LeonBlade

Great update, glad to see this "standard" of calling commands in here to make things a whole lot easier and to make different brushes more inviting to use.

11. Offline

przerwap

Glad you like it, Giltwist and Gavjenks are working on re-working what I've written. Once that comes out please come back and comment on the ease-of-use and understanding of the new thing the two of em are working on.

12. Offline

KrebsCOHO

@Voxel Box

I really love you guys for putting together this plugin. I could only imagine the length of time put into creating it.

I've got a few questions:

1. When placing down trees using /b t I noticed that the difference between tree and big tree is quite a lot. The normal Tree is quite small; is there any way to making it bigger and also keep it looking like a natural tree?

2. Is there any way to create a dirt area that can not be grown in by grass?

Edit: 3. I'm trying to use a few of the splatter brushes and they keep erasing the blocks I click on and planting flowers rather than planting the flowers on top of the blocks. Any ideas?

I just tested out the new voxelsniper, it's a bit of a head ache trying to come to terms with the new format. It seems like I can't do much with it at the moment as I'm getting quite a few errors. I try to set /b b mm and I'm getting invalid brush parameters

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

13. Offline

Voxel Box

Download it again, probably. They did a second update of the commands, but giltwist didn't release the new update which uses the new commands.

14. Offline

kaiguin

I dont get how you install voxelsniper ive read thorugh the instrutions loads of times but it makes no sense help me plz

15. Offline

przerwap

How does it make no sense?
    You put the damn jar in the plugins folder
    Run it
    Add your name to the plugins/VoxelSniper/snipers.txt
    reload the server

Why is it so goddamn difficult?

16. Offline

cholo71796

hwo 2 open fiel tho? how 2 play gaem?
    whar r jar ne way? hlap pl0x FASST1!!1one!1eleven!!!11!

17. Offline

Lunar Delta

I think you're underestimating just how brutally stupid most people are. Sometimes I wonder how they even manage to remember to breathe.

przerwap and cholo71796 like this.
  18. Offline

Michael Abreu

I need serious help. I do any commands but all I get are examples? For example, I type /d. This is what comes up
    /d
    /d -- Used to reset sniper to default (or something like that)

Nothing actually happens though! I can't figure it out and Im getting so frustrated.

19. Offline

przerwap

I will simply have to direct you to read the post immediate above yours.

Lunar Delta likes this.
  20. Offline

cocoson

this plugin is sweet been using it for a while now and it has helped me and my friends do a lot of stuff that would have taken days to do by hand.

keep up the good work this is one of the best plugins i have seen yet

21. Offline

KrebsCOHO

His issue is most likely because of not entering his name into snipers.txt

A common thing I see with a lot of developers is that they get frustrated with incompetent people asking questions. I really think you guys should understand that many people out there aren't programmers and don't have the same level of common sense so they need a bit of spoon feeding.

I'm a pharmacist in real life and we don't expect everyone to know the same degree about their health as we do. I deal with incompetence on every level with people but it's professional understanding that we recognize not everyone is educated in what we know.

I hope you guys understand that analogy.

Anyway, fantastic plugin. I really appreciate your guys' efforts.

Edit: Are there any problems with ink disk/ball replace? I'm using the voxelsniper version before V5 came out and i'm currently trying to change dead shrubs to grass ones. I can change single shrubs but not multiple ones.

22. Offline

kaiguin

So you put the jar into the plugins folder and you create a txt file called snipers.txt and you put snipers.txt into the jar?

I am smart but it confused me when it said unarchive the jar it made no sence to me

23. Offline

Voxel Box

Glad you're loving it!

There's an update issue with shrubs. When you switch to VoxelSniper5, add "u" onto the end of your performer name and it should work.
    Installation and Permissions

• Unarchive VoxelSniper.jar and snipers.txt into your bukkit server's "plugins" folder.
      • Tip: 99.9% of failed sniper installations are due to improper placement or setup of the plugin's snipers.txt file. Go over the instructions carefully to make sure your installation is done properly before asking for support.
    • Tip: If you are a Windows user, remember that your OS hides your file extensions from you by default. If your OS is hiding your file names from you, the snipers.txt file you create will actually be named snipers.txt.txt! It is highly recommended to take appropriate steps to see the proper file extensions in your OS so you know what exactly what files and file names you are working with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Only licensed individuals may use the VoxelSniper tool! Make sure your account is set up to be able to use the commands as you install the plugin.

VoxelSniper Licenses

A VoxelSniper License lets a player use all the brushes and commands in the VoxelSniper arsenal.
    • In the aforementioned snipers.txt file, Add the Minecraft account names of players to whom you wish to give a VoxelSniper License.
    • Enter the names of players into snipers.txt, one-per-line. The names read from snipers.txt are case-sensitive.

24. Offline

KrebsCOHO

@Voxel Box

Thanks for the support and great V5 update. I've donated a small bit, I'm sure more will come once I've gotten a hang of this.

25. Offline

Lying_Cake

Clicking on the "Get it here" link brings me to the wiki, with no download... Am i missing the download link somewhere?

26. Offline

Voxel Box

Check the infobox on the right hand column at the top.

27. Offline

KrebsCOHO

Why is that I get invalid brush parameters when i type in /b b mm?

hm /b b r works though.

28. Offline

przerwap

Because the Gil&Gav duo are updating the Documentation on the fly as they are programming. Which means the documentation you see on the wiki is for the new-er version of VoxelSniper that is not yet released.

29. Offline

KrebsCOHO

I'm not sure if this is meant to be a bug or not but when I'm using /b b iu to replace tall grass dead shrubs to grass shrubs, it changes stationary water nearby to moving water

30. Offline

pherce

Possible... outdated installation instructions for v5? You say to unarchive the jar AND snipers.txt into the /plugins folder. Since I wasn't supplied a snipers.txt and I don't want to reload multiple times, I created the text file myself and placed it inside the /plugins folder. The plugin, however, "moves" my text file into /plugins/VoxelSniper/ but, in reality it actually deleted mine and generated a generic one. Maybe that's a bug and it moves it instead of replaces in a future update.

Troubleshooting at 6am sucks (mainly because I didn't read the server.log right away) but the installation instructions seem to be a bit off ;)

31. Offline

przerwap

Were you using some strange cached copy of the wiki or something? Last I checked the instructions were up-to date.