Documentation API?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by ambientmf, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ambientmf

I'm no programmer so take this post with a grain of salt.

Recently, I switched over my Minecraft server from a Windows-based host to a Linux host.
    Because of this, I'm no longer dealing with the Windows GUI and am admin'ing my server via ssh.

The only downside to me getting away from the GUI is that I find I'm having to use my personal PC's to lookup all the plethora of documentation between plugins like WorldEdit, iConomy, Permissions, etc. in my web browser. I wonder if it's possible or if there's any plans to develop a system of documentation that is packaged with both a) Craftbukkit itself and b) plugins.

For example, say I download MyHome for my server - If I don't know the permissions nodes or what each configuration option does off the top of my head, I head over to MyHome's DevBukkit http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/myhome/. In this particular case, I can find the documentation for Configuration and Commands (with Permissions nodes). If this was a plugin like WorldEdit, I might be redirected again to their own wiki for documentation.

Since this particular plugin has most of its docs as just text, why can't it be packaged with the plugin so I can just cat it out via ssh? Or maybe even something like man pages for Bukkit/plugins?

I know this is a tall order and I'm posting more-so to ask if anyone else thinks this would be a good idea/feature request. So, what do you guys think?

PS: I know this is a simplistic overview and again, I'm no programmer. It would just be nice to have all this included with Bukkit and possibly plugins so I don't have to load a web browser, find the plugin thread/Dev Bukkit page, hope that it's under active development to have a regularly maintained wiki and find the info I'm looking for (which, 99% of the time, is Permissions nodes).

TLDR; Man pages for Bukkit and/or plugins, or some sort of similar local documentation. Thoughts?

2. I dont see any issue with switching from putty and onto a web browser? Dosent really effect myself personally.

3. Offline

rmb938

I see were you are going with this and the idea would be cool. However putty is not the intensive and its not like someone's computer can't have a web browser open at the same time. Personally I always have at least 10 tabs open in firefox and even more when I am looking up something.

Again it would be a awesome idea but why code something that would take hours of work to only save a minute or so of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.