Devs: You can stop trying, you cannot block against griefers.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by RobotA69, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

makskay

Your argument is that "devs [...] cannot block against griefers". Orebfuscator does prevent a specific kind of griefing, as do innumerable other, lighter-weight anti X-raying plugins (such as those that place quotas on the types of blocks that a player can break within a certain amount of time, so that X-rayers can still see the valuable blocks but cannot make use of them any more rapidly than a legitimate player.)

100% of servers will never be 100% secure, but it's still possible to prevent many forms of griefing with plugins and you really haven't demonstrated why developers should "stop trying".

2. Offline

cMan_

• Instigating flamebait
    RobotA69. You sound like a complete dumbass.

3. Offline

RobotA69

I never said devs can't block against griefers. My point is that their efforts barely have an effect on griefers. These plugins you speak of are even worse than Orebfuscator because they often put a limit on people who are legitimately mining.

Your stupidity and off-topic post has been ignored. Thanks for proving that you are, in-fact, unimportant.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  4. Offline

TheFluffey

Freecam can be countered. Sure, the player can still freecam, but the player accessing anything in freecam is easily blocked.

5. Offline

makskay

First things first: the title of the thread.
    That said, let's assume that you meant to say that "their efforts barely have an effect on griefers" instead. For further specificity, let's take the case of a particular plugin that by your argument should "often put a limit on people who are legitimately mining".

This plugin is known as Anti X-Ray. We installed it on the server I administrate because Orebfuscator, even the lighter-weight builds, put too much of a load on our (rather feeble) server computer. First thing to note: it is configurable. Server administrators can manually modify the quotas in order to cut down on the likelihood of legitimate mining being discouraged by its protections.

Since installing that plugin, I've had exactly one complaint of a false positive. The complaint in question originated from someone who, upon investigation, was found to be tunneling directly towards diamond ore from surface level, ignoring other blocks. In short: on a server that routinely handles 200 unique logins a day, over four months of using this plugin, we've had only one complaint about the plugin, and it was from someone who simply wanted to get around the protection it offered so that they could make use of their X-raying tools (which had been made effectively useless by the quotas.)

Security is always an arms race between the attackers and the defenders. Attackers keep coming up with new tricks, and defenders adapt to block those new tricks. That doesn't mean that the defender's position is futile: it's only futile if we stop trying.

6. Offline

coldandtired

ShadowDog007 likes this.
  7. Offline

RobotA69

• Instigating flamebait
    I love how you reference plugins that I made months ago. Would you like to see my plugins? Check out some of my plugins on the top servers on Minecraft Server List and tell me again how goo you are.

You are obviously retarded if you think making a tutorial for noobs such as yourself counts as a plugin..

8. I can fly in freecam. Get proof bro.

RobotA69 likes this.
  9. Offline

coldandtired

That would be why I used the word 'plugins' to reference plugins and 'tutorials' to reference tutorials. I can see why you'd be confused as your English matches your coding in that you seem to have a hard time differentiating between things (like Player and Entity, for example).

Everyone can improve but I'm doubtful how much improvement could have been made in the three months since those 'tutorials' (of which at least one won't even run) were written.

10. Offline

RobotA69

• Instigating flamebait
    Well, I can see how you can be a dumbass seeing how you don't even have the code to my plugins.
    A lot of improvement could be made (Honestly, are you fucking stupid?). Seeing how there have been multiple update since now, obviously the code is outdated.

11. Offline

TheFluffey

Are you fucking stupid? Did you even read my post?

"Freecam can be countered. Sure, the player can still freecam, but the player accessing anything in freecam is easily blocked."

You are impressively stupid. Many plugins make chests/furnaces/etc blocked in freecam.

12. I can open chests through walls up to a certain point. I use it for raiding all the time.

13. Offline

coldandtired

You're either very young or very stupid. Let's be generous and say young.

You come to a forum frequented by plugin devs and 'advise' them not to bother developing anti-griefing plugins because you say so.

Advice and opinions (and indeed tutorials) only have value based on the reputation of the person giving them. In your case, the tutorials you proudly advertise in your signature are junk, and the plugins you have listed under your name are very simple creations, containing very similar code. In other words, your opinion and advice is unlikely to be taken seriously, as has already been pointed out multiple times in this thread.

It's slightly possible that you are in fact a genius of Java and only choose to put sloppy code in the plugins and tutorials as a disguise, of course.

By all means, please continue to rail against everyone with your highly developed lexicon.

14. Offline

TnT

Locked for being filled with flamebait. Warnings handed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.