Dev Needed Large Req (IslandCraft)

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by mikeyagoto, May 23, 2012.

1. Offline

mikeyagoto

Update! Dunsuro has too many time constraints and cannot dev this plugin, therefore we are again looking for a developer!

Thanks,

Mikey

2. Offline

mikeyagoto

new idea regarding the land claiming that can be done by the pirate, i think there should be a limit to how much land they can hold all at one time based on their level.

just keep thinking about it!

3. Offline

mikeyagoto

If you are still interested in helping dunsuro doesn't have the time to finish this, but I would think he wouldn't mind sharing what he has so far!

Thanks,

Mikey

4. Offline

gamerguy14

If Dunsuro gives me the work he has done so far, I will look into it.

5. Offline

mikeyagoto

Ok great! I will PM Dunsuro Thank you!

Mikey

6. Offline

Ziden

I particulary found the player owned islands a great idea.

Ive tought a lil about it, and i think the best way of doing it is something like this, the island owned by the player is on a small world, limited with only 1 island and all sea. Then when this player moves far away from his island, he will get teleported to another world, for example, with 100% seas, somehow a quadrant of a map. Each quadrand can be a player island.

This way if u want to make ur friends island next to you, you cold move yer to the quadrant next to you so when you leave ur island by seas, ull end up in ur friend island. Maybe u can get a bridge to link em beautifully.

7. Offline

mikeyagoto

That would work perfectly for me, but would having that many worlds hurt performance more than a big map?

I actually thought about doing something similar to that, i think there could just be place-holder things on the big ocean map. The most important thing however would be the possibility of transporting the ship that you are piloting as well as yourself.

Thanks

Mikey

8. Offline

izak12345678910

Ya it will hurt performance having a bunch of separate worlds i believe 1 big world with different islands is a better idea less lag I might be wrong though

9. Offline

mikeyagoto

Thats what i was thinking... Humm i might try running a test, make like a ton of different worlds, and then get a really big one and test...

Thanks,

Mikey

10. Offline

gamerguy14

It would use up more memory because on top of the basic information like the seed and the name, it will have to store player information in each one multiple times. The thing I would be worried about though is the ever so valuable, CPU usage, all that teleporting will cause lag plus the game checking and updating each world would be slowed down by having so many to check which would also slow CPU usage so it may not be ideal.

11. Offline

mikeyagoto

Thats what i was thinking... so one big world defiantly the best option?

Ohh and also for the island teleportation, mabey some kind of queue system? That way only one is done at a time, and mabey it is done slowly so as not to stress the server too much?

Thanks,

Mikey

12. Offline

j_selby

I am happy to contribute, if help is needed.

13. Offline

mikeyagoto

Thank you very much! i think gamerguy14 is heading the operation as of now!

Thanks,

Mikey

14. Offline

gamerguy14

Any response from Dunsuro yet? It would really help to have his stuff so that I don't spend time on something where he already found a better way.

15. Offline

fredghostkyle1

wow, if this is for a RPG server i will try it, looks good.

16. Offline

mikeyagoto

I haven't actually... Ill try sending him another message, I know he was working on the world generation portion though.

Indeed it is haha, thank you for the support!

Thanks,

Mikey

17. Offline

fredghostkyle1

thanks, when the plugin is finished i would like the server ip

18. Offline

gamerguy14

Okay thanks. The world generation portion is the exact part I need because it is the one that both takes the most time and the one that I know how to do the least.

19. I would be willing to help you out, but I cannot work full time on a project right now. If you need help with a design idea, send me a message.

20. Offline

j_selby

I can help with the world generation if you want.

EDIT: I have made a simple world generator, which generates a infinite ocean with the occassional dirt chunk. I will be posting a link later today.
    EDIT 2: https://github.com/j-selby/IslandCraftGenerator - however I need to get back from school before I can upload it.
    EDIT 3: Uploaded. See how that goes for you guys.

21. Offline

gamerguy14

The trouble with world generation I find isn't how to actually make the world generate but is the algorithm to use and how to make the world flow and look good.

22. Offline

mikeyagoto

Ohh my alot to catch up on!

gamerguy14 no word from dunsuro as of now... sadly

fredghostkyle1 I will definatly send it to you when its up and running!

ParadigmShiftDev Thank you! all the help you can give is appreciated!

j_selby Wow! thank you for your work! Just wondering, does it make the islands in a uniform grid? or just randomly? and do you know how to make the islands have biomes ect.

Thank you all!

Mikey

Edit: another request lol, would it be possible to leave some islands as public with no player acossiated? Then people can fight over the public islands resources and such.

23. Offline

j_selby

gamerguy14
    If you look in the above repository, you should find how to do it - it is extremely basic so far. If you want to run it, in your bukkit.yml you currently have to specify the world generator.

mikeyagoto
    It is random, however it won't be hard for it to become uniform. I have currently set up a hashmap, which stores the islands, and hopefully in the future, this will contain a associated user with it. This hashmap isn't saved yet as I haven't had enough time yet to do so, but see how that goes for you. I cannot see how we can specify biomes as that goes by the seed, however, we can manually spawn trees etc on the island without biomes. I just need to figure out how we can make a island span more then 1 chunk, and make a proper sea floor (which will need to figure out nearby islands).

24. Offline

gamerguy14

I know how to generate worlds I just don't know how to make good worlds that look nice. My plan is to have a formula to determine what part of an island a chunk is and then islands can be generated by islands instead of chunks.

25. Offline

j_selby

Yes - I do agree with that, so I had a idea. When the world is generating, it stores potential spots for islands in that hashmap, and then when there is demand for it (like a new player joining, or there are no more public islands) that it will be generated, chunk independent. I can't manipulate nearby chunks when the world is generating, so I have been looking for a way around this. It will properly be easier to generate islands when the world is loaded completely.

26. Offline

mikeyagoto

That sounds very fine and dandy whatever you guys figure out lol, im trying to follow!

Thanks,

Mikey

27. Offline

j_selby

I have managed to impliment 3 biomes - desert (this has 1 tree in the middle to be fair), forest and jungle. I will be pushing out a version soon. The world is now generated when needed, so there is a certain amount of public islands, and a 30x30 island is generated for a new player, with a random biome.

mikeyagoto have you heard from dunsuro yet?

gamerguy14 Have you made any progress into the land protection yet? I was just wondering should I attempt at this.

Thanks guys.

28. Offline

mikeyagoto

j_selby No i haven't heard from him :( I have a feeling that he may have quit minecraft... he hasnt logged on sence july 22nd... But ill keep trying.

Thanks,

Mikey

P.s. Thanks for all your work its sounding really good!

29. Offline

j_selby

mikeyagoto
    Just a question (or two), how big do you want the islands? Right now I have them set to a square area of 30x30, but that is too small anyway (say, maybe approx. 128x128) :p also, do you want the islands to be square or random?

EDIT: I believe putting the islands in a grid will help quite a bit, as if I logged on as many, many people around one or two pairs of islands was connected, however if it was in a grid it this wouldn't happen. Could I have any suggestions on this?

30. Offline

Dunsuro

Sorry about everything guys, I've been very busy recently. Lots of reports to do and such.

Looking at what previous people have said, particularly mikeyagoto and gamerguy14, I now regret deleting my sources awhile ago. If you need any help gamerguy, feel free to PM me, although I can't promise I'll respond quickly