Dev Bukkit Plugin Archive Suggestion

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by AuraSean, Aug 31, 2012.

?

Yes or No?

1. Yes?

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No?

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

AuraSean

I would like to suggest that there is an archive feature/period for old plugins that haven't been updated within a certain time frame. Lets say for example 1.3.2 has been out for over two months and WorldEdit and LogBlock hasn't been updated for two months, so its stuck at the Minecraft version 1.2.5. WorldEdit and LogBlock would be put into an archive list that follow under 1.2.5.

Another example is LagMeter, its stuck at 1.8 BETA, it would follow 1.8 BETA.

This would help clear the plugins that haven't been updated and help searching for plugins much faster and easier, specially with server owners who like to use older versions of Minecraft and have a hard time finding older plugins.

What does everyone think?

2. Offline

AuraRob

Completely agree, would make it much easier :)

3. Offline

JOPHESTUS

I made a suggestion recently that is somewhat like this. I agree, would make plugin finding easier and devs with updated plugins would get a bit more publicity for their plugins rather than being stuck down the bottom of the list.

4. Offline

chaseoes

No, plugins made for 1.2.5 can still work fine with 1.3.x. It would be discrimination.

5. Offline

Gravity

This is true. Not every plugin requires an update for each new version, and the amount of work that it would take the staff to go through every plugin and decide whether it needed to be 'archived' or not is just unprecedented. Hell, the amount of time it would take to just go through every existing plugin would be nuts, but to have to test and evaluate each one while still working on the queue and keeping file times low? There's no way.

I still have plugins that are built on 1.2.5-R1.0 and work spectacularly, there's no need to update them, and therefor no real way to determine these things without a human looking at them.

6. Offline

AuraSean

I know that. That is why I was using that as an example.

This is why you make a system that does this. If its 1.2.5 it would be put under the 1.2.5 archive list. Plus, users are should be able to have some kind of option to add a note to their plugin saying it still works for the current version. You're reading my suggestion wrong.

7. Offline

Gravity

But why put it under 1.2.5 archive if there's no reason to archive it? This doesn't work either way you want it to, if you make an archive list for older plugins, there are plugins in there that shouldn't be in the archive. If you want to make a list for updated plugins using this system, you'll only get the ones that pushed a build for that version, which doesn't accurately reflect the state of compatibility.

Now, your idea with adding the ability to declare compatibility with a specific version does make more sense, however that's a major functionality change for BukkitDev that would have to get cleared with the team and with Curse. I think the better option would just be to tell people to try the darn build and if it works it works, if it don't it don't.

8. Offline

AuraRob

Can't this break a server though?

9. Offline

Gravity

A plugin being "broken" does not mean it "breaks" the server. It might cause an error, if some old API isn't there anymore, but it won't do any permanent damage to anything, you just remove the jar and reload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.